Puppeteer

Author Topic: Thieved Again!  (Read 18084 times)

listeroidsusa1

• View Profile
Thieved Again!
« on: June 20, 2008, 11:23:55 PM »
My shop was broken into this week and a lot of GM-90 spares were taken, along with my socket sets, wrenches, 2 chainsaws, a 30 lb jug of freon 22, and probably more that I haven't noticed yet. Some of the items taken were a stack of extra heavy flywheels for the Lister type engines. I had patterns made in India, had the castings poured and machined, had them shipped from Rajkot to Mumbai, and then from there to Charleston, SC, and then to my shop in Rutherfordton, NC. The thieves probably have no idea what they were for and by now they are most likely on their way to China as scrap iron. But, on the off chance that they show up on Ebay, or a show I'd appreciate a heads up so I can check it out. Folks, our iron is heavy and that is what the thieves are looking for. Be safe and keep them secure.

Mike

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
Re: Thieved Again!
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2008, 01:09:57 AM »
Sorry to hear you were burgled Mike.

Sad, and it pisses me off, I had my car rooted threw a few weeks ago, this in an area where I never used to worry about locking things.

I hope the thieves get stupid and are caught.
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2008, 01:50:05 AM »
If you could catch them take a 3 lb. hammer and against an anvil take out all their knuckles, the ones on their hands not in their heads.  Then let them go.  They won't be stealing much after that.

Really sorry to hear about your loss.
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dualĀ  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

listeroidsusa1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2008, 02:17:16 AM »
Not a 3 lb hammer, I'd just drop one of those 300 lb flywheels on those hands...............from about 6 feet up!

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2008, 03:20:52 AM »
What people will break in and steal these days can only make you scratch your head
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

clytle374

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2008, 04:21:40 AM »
Heck people here are poking holes in gas tanks to drain them.

Mike:  I Hope you get my spare parts back.

Stan

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2008, 04:58:27 AM »
I want to see someone poke a hole in a gas tank to steal the gas while smoking a cigarette.  ;D

Don't laugh, how long do you think it will take before we read about it in the news?
Stan

clytle374

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2008, 05:22:49 AM »
Smoking they will probably get away with,  I hope they light one up while draining it.  That should do the trick.

Their family would probably sue the owner of the car.

dieseldave

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2008, 06:18:02 AM »

You hope they poke a hole in a gas tank while smoking a cigarette?  Some IDIOT JUDGE will award them DAMAGES and you will lose everything!

Stan

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2008, 05:06:15 PM »
Nah...Here in Canada we have a law (precedent under the british legal system)  that says you can't sue someone for damages if you are in the act of committing a crime while injured.  No one could get any money out of me anyway, you're allowed to keep your car, home and pension outside of assets used to settle liability lawsuits in Canada.

Oh Oh, I forgot Penelope. Hopefully no one will want her if they win a lawsuit against me  ???
Stan

cujet

• Lister power rules!
    • View Profile
    • www.cujet.com
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2008, 01:24:31 PM »
Mike, I am a big fan of digital video systems.

Some things you may not have though about: A fairly good system is not that expensive, maybe $1200. They can alert you via email when motion is detected. Interestingly enough, cameras can be placed in obvious locations (bookshelf, among the books, for example) and criminals will never notice them! But more than that, a video of a criminal has value, even if the criminal cannot be clearly recognized. The police department may know the criminal and be willing to "show" the video to the proper person.

When a criminal is confronted with a video, they will often confess or give up the names of others involved. Even if blurry! The same goes for a printed picture made from the video and placed in supermarkets/post office bulletin boards. Someone is bound to recognize the perp.

I was having weekly problems at my house/shop. I took the blurry, night camera video next door and showed it to my neighbor, a good guy. He called his son over to watch. His son obviously knew the person involved, but remained silent. I said a few tough words that I had a very good idea who this was and I was really sick of it and was going to shoot on sight. It never happened again!

I had so many police reports regarding my property (42) that when we did catch somebody, who was not involved in prior issues (a kid crashed his truck into my gate) the police made sure to fill out the forms, rather than letting it slide. I got his insurance company to put up another gate and fence. That saved me nearly 1K and I did not have to do the labor. A victory in my book!

Chris
People who count on their fingers should maintain a discreet silence

dieseldave

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2008, 07:15:57 PM »

I would imagine that the price of this equipment(video surveilance) is a lot less$ than it used to be. Could have it set up so that there is one frame every 5 seconds,then when there is movement,it goes into video mode.

listeroidsusa1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2008, 07:22:54 PM »
Yes, I checked out a system yesterday that will zoom and pan remotely, and works off of a motion detector. It is a small footprint model that can use a flash drive for the recording medium. If hooked up to the net it can be remotely operated and checked anytime. After 58 breakins I think its time to go digital and burn some tail. I'd like to find out who got my flywheels especially. I'd have new ones cast and shipped DHL with THEM picking up the freight. The freight alone would probably be $500+ per flywheel.

mkdutchman

• mkdutchman at gmail dot com
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2008, 12:41:50 PM »
I want to see someone poke a hole in a gas tank to steal the gas while smoking a cigarette.  ;D

Don't laugh, how long do you think it will take before we read about it in the news?
Stan

I have a story similar to that, a couple months ago some perp got the bright idea that the power line cables above the abandoned railroad bed would be free for the taking, and attempted to cut them off. But unfortunately for him it seem that the power company now uses them for power transmission, instead of powering the railroad.

They identified what was left by his fingerprints
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 03:59:12 PM by mkdutchman »

Stan

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2008, 03:37:40 PM »
I often wonder how the scrap dealers get away with buying this stuff.. Surly they know that when some rubby comes in with $2K worth of copper wire that he stole it from somewhere?

Stan

there I go, talking to shirley again