Puppeteer

Author Topic: Lister SL1 Start-O-Matic Voltage Problem  (Read 6857 times)

Delatite

• View Profile
Lister SL1 Start-O-Matic Voltage Problem
« on: June 19, 2008, 12:24:17 PM »
Hi
The information on this forum was of great help to me when restoring a Lister CS 3/1 last year. I am back for some more help if possible. i have just purchased a Lister SL1 Start-O-Matic and have been told by the previous owner who was using the engine for many years that it was only producing 120 volts instead of its normal 240 volts.
Being a total electrical incompetent I was wondering where I should start. Could it be something wrong in the Alternator Control Box or a problem with the alternator  itself. Seems odd that it is producing exactly 1/2 its normal voltage. Is there a clue there? If someone can point  me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Brent
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 10:48:20 PM by Delatite »

listerdiesel

Re: Lister SL1 Start-O-Matic Voltage Problem
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 01:58:03 PM »
Silly question, maybe:

Is it a 4-wire 120/240 reconnectable output?

Many of these were made as 120/240 sets, especiually in the later years when Lister went to separate starter motors instead of the built-in windings on the alternator.

I think I may have the 1-1/2kVA Start-O-Matic manual at home, I'll have a look tonight.

Where are you located?

Peter

Delatite

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 02:43:29 PM »
Where are you located?
I'm located in Melbourne and i bought it from a chap from Tasmania who had it power his holiday shack for many years. He told me
it originally came from King Island where it powered the post office.

Is it a 4-wire 120/240 reconnectable output?
Sorry I  have no idea.  :-[ :-[There is no other external type of starter motor so I assume the alternator also acts as the starter motor.

Thanks for your reply.
Brent

listerdiesel

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 05:57:17 PM »
The manual for this bit of kit is Book 495/964, and covers single-cylinder 1-3/3kW and twin-cylinder 4-1/2kW sets.

The operation is almost identical to the standard Start-O-Matic sets with one big difference.

The alternator is a unit power factor type, that is: it is intended for use on mainly resistive loads such as lights and heaters, use on inductive or low power factor loads will result in poor voltage regulation unless power factor correction capacitors are used. This istated in the book.

They were available with 110V or 240V output.

If you are having problems with just lighting (bulbs, not flourescents) loads then it may need looking at, but if you are putting inductive loads such as motors of flourescent lamps on, then that may be your problem.

I'll check and see if the schematic in the book is the same as the one on the website.

I asked about your location in case it made a difference, but it doesn't.

Peter

mljcarey

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 07:13:17 PM »
Hi anyone out there?
 i have just purchased a Lister SL1 Start-O-Matic she fires up fine with handle and possibly will with fully charged battery (she tries to turn over, open up fuel cock etc from autoswitch and a when load -600watt drill-applied)
However im only getting 40-50 volts on ac, i can see im getting 14 volts ac to charge battery when running.
Does anyone know what might cause the low voltage output from geni? i checked bushes they seem to all in aplce and ok, and the woring loom seems ok too.
Has anyone had this problem and know of any solution>?
Appreciated
Martin