Author Topic: Older Airco Briggs opposed welder ?'s  (Read 6691 times)

xyzer

• View Profile
Older Airco Briggs opposed welder ?'s
« on: June 13, 2008, 06:15:04 PM »
I have this attraction for accumulating forms of electrical generation of various kinds.... :P. My wife thinks I'm nuts...but oh well...I acquired this freebie the other day and was worried it would be more work than it was worth...got to poking around and found the fuel tank was not usable, was checking the spark and it was faint....so I did the squirt gas down the carb to see if it would fire before I moved onto other fixes and walla it fired  ;D......so I jerry rigged a tank and it ran like a top! The engine seems to run great! I played with the idle back feature that only works with the welder side and it behaved fine during the initial test run. The generator had the correct output...240v & 110v. After I had it warmed up I did an oil change then fired it up again and the idle feature wanted to cycle. It has a solenoid or magnet that pulls the throttle closed but when the rpm's drop it releases and get up to speed then the magnet kicks in again...over and over. I pulled the welder cover and lots of wires in there! It has 12v for something in there because there is a fuse on the face marked 12v. Do any of you been there done that guys know where I should start looking to fix the idle control? Or have any info on this rig?
Thanks
Dave

Vidhata 6/1 portable
Power Solutions portable 6/1
Z482 KUBOTA

MacGyver

• View Profile
Re: Older Airco Briggs opposed welder ?'s
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 07:31:53 PM »
If you'd have asked me that about 20 years ago, I'm sure I could have told you what was wrong.
There was a time when I fixed those things by the dozen, but I haven't been inside one since 1986...

It's powered by an Onan CCK or CCKA engine, and it's almost certainly made by Miller.

Most of the Airco gas drives from that era were re-badged Millers. I think those were the Miller AEA200 or AEAD200 or something like that.

I remember the idle problem wasn't uncommon, but I don't remember the fix for it and I gave away all my Miller and Lincoln Parts and Service books about 10 years ago.

Miller always had (hopefully still has) excellent service. Maybe they can help you cross the Airco Model/Serial numbers to Miller. If so, I'll bet they can still provide schematics for it.
 http://www.millerwelds.com/

Can you post the Airco model and serial #'s, or PM them to me?
Steve

JKson (PS) 6/1 'roid & ST 7.5

rl71459

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2008, 03:42:09 AM »
That engine looks just like the one on my gas screamer (18 Hp Briggs) it's been a good one!

Rob

xyzer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2008, 06:19:46 AM »
MacGyver,
Thanks for the reply. I should have been more clear on the engine....it is or is labeled as a Briggs & Stratton 16hp @ 3600 rpm 658cc. Good to hear its been a good one Rob. The label lists it as Stock 1350-5108 Serial 639358, volts 28, amps 200DC, 3600 rpm. The model # seems vague to me but will do some searching on it and see what I can find out.
Dave
Vidhata 6/1 portable
Z482 KUBOTA

MacGyver

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2008, 04:21:34 PM »
MacGyver,
Thanks for the reply. I should have been more clear on the engine....it is or is labeled as a Briggs & Stratton 16hp @ 3600 rpm 658cc.

Sigh... well, that shows how much I've forgotten. Yes, the Aircos did have the B&S twin, not the Onan.
But it's still made by Miller.  :)

I've forwarded your Stock and Serial #'s to an old friend who may still be able to dig up some info on it. Will let you know what I come up with.
Steve

JKson (PS) 6/1 'roid & ST 7.5

xyzer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 06:09:03 AM »
MacGyver,
Thanks! Any info will be appricated....I hit a brick wall searching on the web.....not much about it anywhere I looked!
Dave
Vidhata 6/1 portable
Z482 KUBOTA