Puppeteer

Author Topic: Price of DIESEL FUEL in Alberta  (Read 16976 times)

dieseldave

• View Profile
Price of DIESEL FUEL in Alberta
« on: May 26, 2008, 02:44:48 AM »

May 25,2008. Edmonton Alberta Canada

The going price for diesel in Alberta is 129.9/litre or $5.90 /imperial gallon or $4.94/us gallon. This is starting to get stupid!

Price of diesel is higher than gasoline!    What are they paying in U.K. and Europe now for diesel compared to gasoline? Somebody told me that diesel is 2/3 the price of gasoline across the pond.Is this true? 

dmp

Re: Price of DIESEL FUEL in Alberta
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 02:57:58 AM »
What are the taxes over gasoline?

Politicians seem to have a nut for the trucking business.

Not worth having a diesel automobile in the U.S.  Pols figure it's a semi rig.

Over taxed...going to bed,
David

draganof

• Keeper of a Mighty Changfa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 03:49:12 AM »
The price of Diesel fuel is not what bothers me. What does enrage me is the speed that the price increases are being shoved up our back sides. I thought only the US was getting hammered on the fuel issue but the Canadians are getting screwed to. Unlike the gas crisis of the seventies I see no reduction of prices in our future. The only positive thing I do see is just maybe the Auto/Energy/industry will finally get off their collective asses and bring out some truly fuel efficient engines. I think the love affair between the Oil companies and the Auto makers is over. :'(

John
Changfa 195 and ST10
8kw Yanmar/Kohler

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 06:16:36 AM »
You can take some comfort in knowing that the greedy traders and speculators that are causing the oil prices to rise to stupid levels will freeze and starve to death as a result along with the rest of us!  Their actions are going to make a lot of houses cold next winter and is already making FOOD too expensive for most of the world's population to buy. This is gonna get quite painful.
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dual  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

lowspeedlife

• old iron for a new age
  • no i'm not no cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 07:16:26 PM »
Don't worry, Rep. Maxine Waters has the fix, she's going to "socialize" the oil companies so the government can run them. That will fix things good.
Scott R.

5.7 liter diesel k-5 blazer. converting to wvo.
omega 20/2 listeroid

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 08:51:24 PM »
diesel has been more expensive (here in the seattle tacoma) area than regular unleaded for the last few years
and i have no clue as to why either.

it is well over 4 bucks a gallon, last i looked it was around 4.50 per gallon, but could be nearer 5 bucks a gallon now.

my business partner and i have an ongoing joke

when gas was 2.50 a gallon people screamed,, then it went to 3 dollars and folks really screamed
then it dropped to 2.75 and everyone let out a collective sigh of relief "ahhhh we are finally back to normal" ??
then it went to 3.50 and everyone screamed,, then fell to 3.25 and everyone sighed again, "ahhh back to normal"  ""

i guess when it hit 5 dollars and then settles back to 4.75 then folks can sigh again " back to normal"

god folks have a short memory!!

if it hit 5 bucks a gallon, i don't think we will ever see 4 dollar gasoline at its low ever again.

conservation is no longer going to be the in thing,, but a mandatory fact of life that some folks are going to have
a horrible time getting their mind wrapped around.

i wonder how long before we see folks spec'ing out <1000 sq/ft homes?
we seemed to get by with a thousand sq/ft back in the 50's and did so with 2 adults and 3 kids living quite comfortably
we got by with one car in the driveway, and most of those were the ford/chevy/dodges of the basemodel persuasion for the most part.

weren't we happier then?

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 10:43:51 PM »
diesel has been more expensive (here in the seattle tacoma) area than regular unleaded for the last few years
and i have no clue as to why either.

it is well over 4 bucks a gallon, last i looked it was around 4.50 per gallon, but could be nearer 5 bucks a gallon now.

my business partner and i have an ongoing joke

when gas was 2.50 a gallon people screamed,, then it went to 3 dollars and folks really screamed
then it dropped to 2.75 and everyone let out a collective sigh of relief "ahhhh we are finally back to normal" ??
then it went to 3.50 and everyone screamed,, then fell to 3.25 and everyone sighed again, "ahhh back to normal"  ""

i guess when it hit 5 dollars and then settles back to 4.75 then folks can sigh again " back to normal"

god folks have a short memory!!

if it hit 5 bucks a gallon, i don't think we will ever see 4 dollar gasoline at its low ever again.

conservation is no longer going to be the in thing,, but a mandatory fact of life that some folks are going to have

we seemed to get by with a thousand sq/ft back in the 50's and did so with 2 adults and 3 kids living quite comfortably
we got by with one car in the driveway, and most of those were the ford/chevy/dodges of the basemodel persuasion for the most part.

weren't we happier then?

bob g

Bob,

When I see the sea of 3000-5000 sq.ft. homes built on postage sized lots row up row spreading like the disease they are from Toronto north the first thought that ever hit me was "where are they gonna find th fuel to heat them and the money to pay for that fuel when TSHTF?"  Well we know the answer.  Many of them ain't gonna.  The subdivisions as far as the eye can see will become mostly vacant.  banks will forclose. The remaining souls brave or stupid enough not to get out will scavange the abandoned homes for anything that will burn to heat their own castles in suburbia.  Boy we stupid humans sure will do anything totally irrational if it appears it will make us money won't we!

I wonder if the stupidity is so real that even trends cannot be broken if lives are at risk?  Will earth sheltered homes ever catch onas a way to save energy by moderating the need?  We should all become cave dwellers again.  The few that survive probably wlll have to.
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dual  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 02:15:40 AM »

weren't we happier then?

bob g

Bob your speaking common sence again......

I live in one of those 1950s homes with no attached garrage and a drive way made for one car.
Its small and not hard to keep and the yard is big and nice in the summer.
People forget when they buy big homes they have to heat and clean and keep up big home and that adds up.

One of my beefs with SUVs and 4WDr is its like oning two cars with all the extra drive train parts to pay the fuel to spin and not to mention the up keep for something you might need once in a blue moon.

Best stop talking sence Bob some peoples feelings are hurt when they look foolish for over extending themselves lol and the same fat car big house guys will stop being your friends lol.

Diesel 1.47 litre gasoline 1.29
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

Stan

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2008, 02:41:01 AM »
What I can't figure out is why people just use their brains. 

Several years ago, when I was driving my 72 Vw beetle (36mpg highway)  25 mi to work (highway only) one way each day, I decided to try an experiment.  They had just raised the speed limit from 90 km/h (55mph) to 100km/h (just over 60 mph).  Gas at the time was somewhere around .75 cents/litre.

For one month I drove at 90 km/h and kept exact track of my mileage and cost per week.  Then for one month I drove 100 km/h and kept exact track.  The increase cost for driving that 10 km/h was just about exactly $5 per week, $20 per month.

I can't imagine what the saving would be today driving a large suv or 3/4 ton pickup over 1000 miles at the cost of gas we are now paying, yet today I drove the same 25 miles at 90 kmp in our corolla (49 mpg imp. highway)  and several cars passed me going at least 30 - 40 km/h faster than I was going.  No one looked like they were in labour, or had just cut off a hand or were volunteer fireman going to a fire!

Our idiot politicians here in BC are bringing in a "carbon tax" of 3 cents per litre to "pay for environmental programs" however I'd bet a gold loonie the money either goes to their buddies involved in some peripheral business deal, or into general revenue.  Instead if they just lowered the speed limit by 10 km/h they could save waaaay more "carbon" than simply by raising the price of gas even more.

btw....having just driven from Vancouver down to Seattle via highway 5, and then over to Spokane via highway 90 before turning North again,  I must say I am much impressed with the level of speed enforcement shown by the various police agencies along the way.  The number of flagrant speeders was almost nil, unlike the idiots who drive BC highways at breakneck speed because you almost never see a cop on our roads.
Stan

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008, 02:57:19 AM »
I started to slow down a couple of weeks ago from 100 kph to 90.

I'm up to about 800 km per 50 litre tank of diesel miixed city highway driving, I spend 130 dollars a month on fuel and thats no bad but when you think about it its a lot of money I could spend on other things.

I remember the tracks as a kid for the trolley ( out of service ) .
I know a lot of guys lunch pails in hand who took those trolleys to and from work.

GM decided we were better off with mostly empty busses.

AND STILL a GM coach in 1970 got better fuel ecconomy than a large Orion today.
It was smaller and carried more people for it grose weight......

So I want some better public transit with some light rail service for express runs.
I want it to be payed for gas tax and a very modest bus pass so only an idiot would say its too expensive.

I would like to take a train to travell but for some reason its cheaper to fly.
Don;t even get me started on that one 
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 02:59:13 AM by Doug »

rbodell

• View Profile
    • Life after retirement
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2008, 04:01:29 AM »

Bob your speaking common sence again......

I live in one of those 1950s homes with no attached garrage and a drive way made for one car.
Its small and not hard to keep and the yard is big and nice in the summer.
People forget when they buy big homes they have to heat and clean and keep up big home and that adds up.

I took that into consideration when I built my house. My house is 192 sq feet on the outside. After 20 years living on a 24 foot sailboat with 10 feet of living space, it is quite roomy. If I am on the grid (which I no longer am) I burn about $30 a month of electricity and the house only cost me about 5K to build. talk about a big yard on a 1 acre lot LOL. Since the house is made from a steel shipping container, it is considered temporary and not taxable. My shop is a 40 foot container, also not taxable. Last years taxes were $360. My living expenses are about $300 a month.

I let somebody live on my property. His electric bill is more than what I spend for everything.

I wouldn't have a big house if somebody cave it to me.

The shear depth of my shallowness is perplexing yet morbidly interesting. Bob 2007

dieseldave

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2008, 04:11:24 AM »
Doug; you say you get 800km to 50L of diesel. Must be a VW jetta.  The last tank got me 58.25 MPG commuting from home to work at the Petro Canada Refinery(I JUST WORK THERE,OK!)

My jetta is an '02. When I first got it it was hard to sqeeze in $28 worth of diesel. The other day I put in $60 worth! And that was before the recent price increase!

t19

• Tanks and Lister... Heavy Metal
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2008, 04:15:57 AM »
yes we are getting a new transit system in Ottawa... a mix of light rail...waste of time... and bus

Currently I can get on a Bus, it takes a Transit way across town and and get to my place of work in 30 minutes (after a 20 minute drive to the Park and ride, if I can find a parking spot).... after a few BILLION dollars the new system will involve 4 transfers and 1 hour of travel... yes that is progress, cause I now have a 25 minute drive to the station

in 1989 I bought a Chev Sprint and it got over 55 mpg... its replacement the AVEO gets 47, yes that is progress.

How is it we could do it in the past?  and now everything sucks

Although I must say a new Impala gets 40 MPG and thats really good

There is plenty of room for all of Gods creatures... right next to the mashed potatoes...

rbodell

• View Profile
    • Life after retirement
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2008, 02:50:55 PM »
Doug; you say you get 800km to 50L of diesel. Must be a VW jetta.  The last tank got me 58.25 MPG commuting from home to work at the Petro Canada Refinery(I JUST WORK THERE,OK!)

My jetta is an '02. When I first got it it was hard to sqeeze in $28 worth of diesel. The other day I put in $60 worth! And that was before the recent price increase!

I have found that driving for mileage makes a huge difference in your mileage. My pickup went from 18 to 26 MPG and my motor cycle went from 56 to 71.

Keep tires inflated properly
avoid fast starts
accelerate slowly
accelerate on down side of a hill
don't accelerate on up side of a hill unless necessary
coast downhill
shut off engine at long stop lights
drive at or below speed limit
when coming up to a stop light, shift into nutral
use cruise control if you have it
The shear depth of my shallowness is perplexing yet morbidly interesting. Bob 2007

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2008, 09:00:59 PM »
Smooth driving helps a lot. Start softly, coats when you see a stop coming and take your time.

Its also easier on your car.

Yes Andrew I drive the Jetta TDI mine is an 05 Waggen so its a tad heavier than the Mexican ones.

One of the mechanics I work with has gone to a lot of trouble to tune his 01.
He is under the impression that doing some adjustements to the EGR, timing and boost has resulted in Better fuel ecconomy than my common rail engine.

He just likes to tweek and tune I think.....