Author Topic: Bob vs. Lister Flywheel  (Read 8016 times)

rleonard

• Mattoon, Illinois
    • View Profile
Bob vs. Lister Flywheel
« on: May 22, 2008, 01:47:58 PM »
I need to get the flywheels off the 16-2 to reposition and replace the seals.  Also there is a pulley for a fan that I will not need so that has to come off.  A month of soaking in oil and running the engine with the gib keys out would not break things loose.  I even gently heated with no luck.  It was time to get serious. 

I hunted around for a puller.  I hit up the local heavy equipment dealer and several large farm tractor shops but they had nothing big enough.  We have an industrial equipment rental place and I stopped in there.  They had Enerpac units but they were way too small. 

I had a piece of 3/4 plate so I plasma cut 2 discs.   I machined a fillet in one to clear the radius on the hub of the flywheel.  I drilled and tapped holes then cut a section of the back plate to slip it behind the flywheel.  I picked up a length of 3/4-10 grade 8 threaded rod and nuts from Fastenall and put it all together. 

I have a small enerpac cylinder but that would not break it loose.  Tightening up on the nuts, finally there was that pop and it broke loose.  After some movement the little cylinder helped move the wheel about 1/2 inch then I reset the nuts and moved it again. 

Finally both wheels were off, nothing was broken, or hammered on, and no torches were needed.  Everything was done safely.

Pardon my mess in the shop.

Bob

Bob
Faster - Better - Cheaper  You can have any two, but not all three

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
Re: Bob vs. Lister Flywheel
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 02:28:20 PM »
At first I was not sure what the ending was going to be, but after finding out the engine was NOT running, I'm glad it all came off OK.

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 03:46:08 PM »
Picture #4 clearly shows WHY you had so much trouble removing that flywheel.  You were pulling it exactly 90 degrees to the direction of a rather clearly marked arrow! :D  Actually, nice job on that puller.  Sometimes special effort is needed such as this for special problems.  BTW, messy shop?  Where?  You should not see mine.    :o
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dualĀ  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

Stan

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 04:04:38 PM »
So why don't you need the pulley that is inboard of the flywheel?  Aren't you going to use radiator cooling?
Stan

rleonard

• Mattoon, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008, 04:18:03 PM »
Thanks guys,
I'm not planning to use the fan drive so I wanted the pulley off.  I also want to change the felt seals and inspect the main bearings. 

If someone needs this puller I'm sure that I could make it available to borrow.  I did build it for the 3 spoke flyywheel though.

Bob

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2008, 05:03:19 PM »
If it works for 3 it will work for 6 too.
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

contaucreek

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2008, 10:56:17 PM »
I would be inclined to leave the pully on too but whatever floats your boat !!!. Mount it outboard and you can belt up easy to whatever toy you want.
L.E.F. Dip #1 Threadstopper Extraordinaire

rleonard

• Mattoon, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2008, 02:02:13 PM »
After another round of polishing the crankshaft with the wire brush, I pulled the bearing housings.  One bearing showed some fatigue in one area.  Fortunately I had a new set on hand and went ahead and replaced them both.  I had picked them up off of ebay about a year ago at a good price. 

With the new felt seal installed, a fresh bearing and gasket, it all went back together nicely.   

With the last major mechanical issue addressed, I can continue with preparation for painting.

Bob

rleonard

• Mattoon, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2008, 02:10:26 PM »
After another round of polishing the crankshaft with the wire brush, I pulled the bearing housings.  One bearing showed some fatigue in one area.  Fortunately I had a new set on hand and went ahead and replaced them both.  I had picked them up off of ebay about a year ago at a good price. 

With the new felt seal installed, a fresh bearing and gasket, it all went back together nicely.   

With the last major mechanical issue addressed, I can continue with preparation for painting.

I should not need the inboard pulley, but if I do it is not a big deal to reinstall it.  Especially now that the flywheels have been broken loose.  The flywheel on the #1 side was up against the bearing housing.  That left little clearance between the inboard rim of the flywwheel and the injector pump and governor linkage area.  If I were to grab the flywheel and spin it by hand my fingers would have been pinched.   When I put it back on there will be ample clearance.

Bob