Author Topic: Caterpillar 1Y73 and Dynamometer  (Read 11838 times)

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
Re: Caterpillar 1Y73 and Dynamometer
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2008, 02:00:31 AM »
Be thankful that goose high over head farts too Jens
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

listerdiesel

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2008, 10:50:19 AM »
Had an excellent trip, the ferry was waiting for us as we got into Harwich at 8am after a 1120 mile drive from home. Good crossing, excellent cabin to catch up on our snoozing!

The rally field was almost empty when we arrived at 8pm Friday evening, so we dumped the Cat/Dyno and the Onan out in the field and set the tents up and got some sleep.

Saturday we got the engines arranged and the gazebo erected (very necessary as it was a scorching weekened, the hottest Whitsun since 1985 in Holland) then went walkabout with the camera and videocam.

Nearly 3 days of pure engine-related stuff followed, and we packed up on Tuesday morning, drove to Hook of Holland and after another smooth crossing we were home at 10pm last evening.

We took nearly 500 pictures and lots of video clips of running engines, some rather large ones and some smaller.

The first 25 pictures and the menu pages are up at:

http://www.stationary-engine.co.uk/N...uenenMenu1.htm
or:
http://www.oldengine.org/members/die...uenenMenu1.htm

More later as we get the pictures edited and posted to the websites.

Peter

PS: We didn't hear the Sparrows farting either....

listerdiesel

Stan

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2008, 02:27:07 PM »
A fine collection of engines!  Thanks for sharing Peter....How did the Caterpillar roll on the grass?  ;)
Stan

listerdiesel

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2008, 03:48:44 PM »
Peter

Were those engines manufactured at the Mossville plant?  I have a friend that works there that may be able to get info on them if so.

I don't know the manufacturing plant, but the Caterpillar HQ still support the model, and the tech literature dept still have the service manuals available. I just cannot get any response out of the UK dealerships.

Peter

listerdiesel

« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2008, 03:51:08 PM »
A fine collection of engines!  Thanks for sharing Peter....How did the Caterpillar roll on the grass?  ;)
Stan

Keep watching, it get a LOT better, there are 350+ pictures out of about 495 to show.

With sufficient manpower, the thing rolled well, but it was anthill-ridden sandy soil and although dry, it was relatively soft. We had no problems picking it up with the winch on the trailer though, just pulled it up the ramps in fine style!

Peter

listerdiesel

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2008, 03:52:40 PM »
How much does that Cat engine weigh Peter?
Stan

The whole assembly is close to 2 tons. The dyno was surprisingly heavy, but all that stuff is castings, not a bit of sheet metal anywhere....

Peter

Stan

« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2008, 04:51:50 PM »
I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of the pics.
Stan

listerdiesel

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2008, 09:37:55 PM »
I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of the pics.
Stan

Have started a separate thread with the details on, Stan.

Peter