Author Topic: I think my junk pile just coughed up a radiator for my 6/1  (Read 10726 times)

Stan

Re: I think my junk pile just coughed up a radiator for my 6/1
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2008, 05:20:50 PM »
Some kind of a small overflow tank would make it better I think.  The original Lister radiator has about a 1 gal (imp) tank built in to the rad.
Stan

ronmar

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2008, 07:19:10 PM »

I have some of these kicking around(4 feet long). I was told by a plumbing and heating suppier that a 4 foot section was good for 8700btu with 4gpm@180.F or 7000btu with2gpm@180.F.  700btu/foot seems awfull low.

I was thinking that a unit could be made that has sections 2 feet long. I would use a 1inch header top and bottom using the proper fittings. I have seen T's that are 1 inch straight thru with a 3/4 takeoff.

Nice polished copper after solder job would almost make it look like an antique radiator.

I have been researching heat systems for the new house we are planning, and 7000 BTU/HR sounds awfull high for a 4' unit.  4' of 3/4" copper pipe only has .7854 SQ/FT of surface area.  The fins on the outside help transfer heat to the air, but it still has to transfer thru that .7854 SQ FT of pipe surface area to get to the press fit fins.  The flow thru the pipe helps keep the fluid turbulated and the pipe heat saturated, but 7000 BTU/HR for 4' of radiator sounds overly optomistic.  Here is one link I found that discusses this type heating system:
http://www.heatinghelp.com/heating_howcome4.cfm

Here is a link to a manufactures brocure which has heat transfer tables in BTU/FT in 65F air at the bottom. 
http://www.embassyind.com/pdfs/embassyind_system6.pdf

You will note both of these show between 500 and 2000 pounds per hour(1-4 GPM) fluid flow in their tables, which keeps the radiator heat saturated at the boiler temp along it's whole length.  A listeroid providing thermosiphon flow rates will be unable to match these transfer rates, and will have a temp gradient/decrease from input to output, lowering the overall heat transfer.  At those numbers, 16' in 65F air isn't enough for the full heat output of a 6/1.  A fan on the coils would help, but I would not be overly optomistic of it's performance in 100F conditions...

Ron
PS 6/1 - ST-5.

dieseldave

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2008, 09:51:14 PM »

That thinwall copper transfers heat quite rapidly to the fins! You will notice this when you solder a fitting on to the end. you have to apply most of the heat to the copper pipe,rather than play the torch back and forth equally to the pipe and fittings.

I have a room in my shop that is 12feetx 18feet and one 4 foot strip keeps the room warm on the coldest days! The zone valve cycles on and off as well ,so this indicates more than adequate heat.

xyzer

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2008, 07:05:38 PM »
He had a problem with his thermal flow. He basicaly solidered it up wrong and had to redo it. His power was out this winter in CA and ran it for several days keeping reefers and TV going and he had no problem. I'll quiz him some more on lenght and his specific problem.

Yes please! I'd love to know what "The Specs" are on it. And what problems he's had.
I need mine to be able to shed heat at full load at 100+ degree temps.

MacGyver,
The tubing in the picture is 1-1/4". each section is 2' a total of 10'. Run the tubes vertical! Horizontal doesn't work well! It was hard to take apart and rearange it. It seems to cool fine outdoors in the winter. Outside on a 100deg calm day might be different. All of the ratings on that tubing is probably in a room with NO airflow. Just the slightest breeze works wonders!
Dave
Vidhata 6/1 portable
Power Solutions portable 6/1
Z482 KUBOTA

MacGyver

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2008, 02:39:51 PM »
MacGyver,
The tubing in the picture is 1-1/4". each section is 2' a total of 10'. Run the tubes vertical! Horizontal doesn't work well! It was hard to take apart and rearange it. It seems to cool fine outdoors in the winter. Outside on a 100deg calm day might be different. All of the ratings on that tubing is probably in a room with NO airflow. Just the slightest breeze works wonders!
Dave

Thanks Dave! I think I'll give it a try.
Steve

JKson (PS) 6/1 'roid & ST 7.5