Author Topic: Removing injector English 6/1  (Read 4236 times)

contaucreek

• View Profile
Removing injector English 6/1
« on: May 07, 2008, 11:59:53 PM »
Hi guys. I loosened off the nuts on the injector retaining plate and tried to bump the injector loose with compression but no luck. I was cranking the flywheels as fast as I could by hand before I dropped the exhaust rod but she just wont move. Not tempted to start prying etc and buggering something up so any suggestions are welcome thanks. Wont be back online for a couple days but I'll get back probably Fri night, thx again, Paul.
L.E.F. Dip #1 Threadstopper Extraordinaire

contaucreek

• View Profile
Re: Removing injector English 6/1
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 12:03:22 AM »
P.S. I guess my karma was bad Stan LOL.

lendusaquid

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 12:17:54 AM »
I would start thumping it with a rubber hammer. Wack,wack,wiggle,wiggle,wack,wack etc untill it comes loose.There is nothing holding it in apart from rust and muck.

rleonard

• Mattoon, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 01:10:10 AM »
I had one stuck.  I made a puller out of a piece of 1.5 X 1/4 HRS flat stock.  In the center drill a hole exactly the size of thread OD.  Adjacent to the center hole drill and tap a 3/8-16 hole on each side.  Remove the cap and locknut from the injector.  Slide the puller over and reinstall the cap.  I used 2 carrage bolts about 2.5  inches long because they were threaded full length.  Use them to jack the injector out. 

It worked for me.  I could twist the injector with a large crescent wrench but it would not come out due to the rust.  This pulled it right out.

Bob
Faster - Better - Cheaper  You can have any two, but not all three

Stan

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 01:44:47 AM »
Mine was well and truly stuck too, I found I could turn it a couple of degrees from side to side, eventually, using lots of different types of penetrating oil it turned a little more and then more.  It only took 2 weeks to get out.  ;D
Stan

I forgot to say you've got to use the 2 nut system to turn out the studs which bolt down the hold down plate, as well as the inlet and outlet pipes,  there's not enough "wiggle room" to work with them on there.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 01:47:10 AM by Stan »

listerdiesel

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 07:56:58 AM »
What age is the engine?

Early engines had a water-cooled injector which rusts in, but that was possibly before the 6/1 model came in.

We use a couple of good pry bars and a lot of soaking in penetrating oil (not diesel, it doesn't get inside the little crevices easily)

Patience is required and very necessary!

Peter

contaucreek

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2008, 12:01:20 AM »
Its a '57 Peter. Thanks for all the ideas, looks like I just have to roll up my sleeves and get at it !!   P.

Chuggy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2008, 06:36:03 PM »
Looking at the David Edgington Lister CS Story it shows a 1940's illustration of the seperation of the injector from the water jacket, so I guess the change to non water jacketed injector was in the early 1940's, and if it's a 1957 6/1 it won't be the 'wet type' injector as my 1953 6/1 doesn't have it.

junk and disorderly
Chug