Puppeteer

Author Topic: Producing veggie power with Changfa ZS1115G and ST15 Head  (Read 3501 times)

wildbill_hickup

• View Profile
Producing veggie power with Changfa ZS1115G and ST15 Head
« on: May 05, 2008, 12:52:09 PM »
Once again I'd like to thank everyone who helped me with my post under 'generators' BIG HELP!!!!! OK that said here's the scoop.
I started just with the circuits to the barn/shop and just concered myself with voltage this time leaving frequency to follow as one here suggested. Throttle is very sensitive but I was finally able to get voltage set at 125-126 on each leg. Checked frequency at this point, still wacky. I connected a 1500 watt electric heater to line and turned to first setting of two, 750 watts ??. Engine sound didn't change at all voltage at 124, checked frequency, WELL WOULD YOU LOOK AT THAT ;D 60.8 HTz. Turned heater to high voltage droped some, frequency stayed the same, it appears that not much is going to slow that monster down. Continued to check voltage with various loads in shop (saws, lathe, etc) and found that voltage ranged from about 125 to 122 with a few items running at the same time. Frequency varied between 60.8 and about 60.5 but was steady depending on number of loads. End test stage one!
Test stage two 'THE HOUSE'
The big time had come, house power !!!!!!!! Turned most everything in house off including grid mains. Switched power on from 'Changfamonster' (new name), back inside, no smoke :o. Went around trying different appliances one at a time( kept heater in barn set to low as it seemed to stabilize frequency) all seemed to work just fine. Replaced heater in barn with hot plate to dry/heat some WVO might (might as well put the sucker to work) while testing. Let run for approx 5 hours at various loads. It burned approx 1.5 gallon of fuel(mix of WVO and dino), though I didn't actually measure quantity. That will be for next time. Towards the end of the session I even got brave and started some max load testing. Man has that baby got some power. Electric drier, microwave oven, several lights, hot plate in barn, TV, water pump (on-off-on-off) voltage check (pump on) 109VAC frequency 59.8HTz. Almost no audible change in RPM from engine just got louder onder load. Shut most loads down went out to check genny BOY! was the water in that hopper boiling. Guess I'd better improve cooling system before running the dryer again. Plan on ciculating to radient under kitchen floor(winter) eventually for now radiator and fan thermsyphoned will have to do. Well that's it for now. Thanks again to all, I'll have some pics soon(as soon as I make it look pretty). Changfamonster is born.

Wildbill

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
Re: Producing veggie power with Changfa ZS1115G and ST15 Head
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 02:33:24 PM »
I have done some high power load testing with my own new Changfa 1115 in the past few days.  I have observed that the water in the hopper boils away pretty fast when the powerful engine is leaning into a good load.  I would not leave the engine unatended for long with stock factory hopper cooling.  Good candidate for closed loop siphon system with a radiator which is definitely my plan.

I am very impresssed with my engine.  This baby is powerful...and fuel efficient!
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dualĀ  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

wildbill_hickup

• View Profile
Re: Producing veggie power with Changfa ZS1115G and ST15 Head
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2008, 10:40:31 AM »
Now I just have to work on cooling and quieting this monster down. Can't wait till the next day I have time to play!!!!!