Puppeteer

Author Topic: Waste moter oil  (Read 52216 times)

sanchez

• View Profile
Re: Waste moter oil
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2007, 04:11:26 PM »
Hi,

I am using waste motor oil blended 50/50 with kerosene, great results, energy rate: 15.5KW/H per GAL.

safffff

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2007, 01:04:38 PM »
I  bought an old 83 Fortravel motor home 4 yr ago. It would smoke and was hard to start and the fuel filters would clug up in 400 miles. The fuel tank had lots of rust, water and sediment in it and I didn't want to remove the tank.  I then installed a Gulfcoast paper towel filter before the other fuel filters. This filter is suppose remove up to 2 lb of sediment and 2 qts. of water and filter to less than 1 micron. To this day that engine runs great. I only move the rv every 7 months and I never start the engine during that time. It starts within the 1st second of turning the key. Great filter. Expensive though but well worth it.

http://www.gulfcoastfilters.com/
« Last Edit: July 06, 2007, 01:07:09 PM by safffff »

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2007, 05:10:59 AM »
I want to rig up a smoke filtration unit on mt minipetter exhaust. I think i can use a small barrel with water and dish liquid inside to catch the carbon. does anyone have any experience with this? :'(

Do you count farting in a bubble bath experience?   ;D

I think I`d be worried about how to deal with the black water.  It has been mentioned in another thread that certain kinds of algae can grow on the engine soot deposited in a buried gravel bed and turn it into nice stuff.  Have you looked into this as a possible, environmentally friendly approach?

BTW, if that evironmentally friendly approach leads directly to your house, better have folks remove their shoes at the door.
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dual  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

CD in BC

• View Profile
Re: Waste motor oil
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2008, 06:38:38 PM »
I used to be a factory rep for Motorguard for this application:
http://www.lesker.com/newweb/Traps_and_Filters/OilFiltration/Motorguard.cfm?CFID=770798&CFTOKEN=61408253&section=motorguard&init=skip
Don't feint when you see the price. I sold 13 of these in 1 sales call one time.

Some suggestions, I've never done this app before but I did stay at a Holiday Inn once. First filter your oil through the finest screen available. Then maybe a 5 micron string wound water filter would be nice and then hit the Motorguard filter. You should place a pressure gage before the Motor guard filter and monitor the pressure. If you see a sudden drop you've likely blown a hole between the layers of TP and need to replace the filter. The cellulose in the TP will absorb moisture until it turns to mush. Make sure to use real Motorguard filters as they are tightly wound and have a plastic core.

You can get them a lot cheaper than that: http://cgi.ebay.com/Motorguard-Vacuum-Pump-Oil-Filtration-System_W0QQitemZ110209207162QQihZ001QQcategoryZ57013QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2008, 01:51:51 AM »
You bet they did. I used to be a Motorguard rep and in 1980 we sold 2 canister units with a pump for $1000.00.
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

cold comfort farm

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2008, 07:31:43 PM »
This may come as such a daft question but I dont know the answer. :-[

CVJET wrote
use a cotton or hemp rope to siphon the oil out of the drum and into a gallon milk container or similar, the oil will be quite clean as cotton filters well.

Can Someone tell me how this work, I cannot picture sucking on the end of a hemp rope.  Does the rope just absorb the oil and slowly drip.  Therefore dangle one end in a bucket of oil and the other over the side.  If so what happens to the rope when it touches the lip of the bucket??

Thanks In advance.

blacksea7

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2008, 12:05:17 AM »
Gentlemen,

Some of you are scaring me.

Bill

cold comfort farm

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2008, 09:04:31 PM »
And why is that blacksea7 ?

blacksea7

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2008, 12:17:17 AM »
Gentlemen,

Burning drain oil isn't a problem... nor is filtering it... but please, don't use toilet paper or papertowel filters... honestly, go the local parts store or www.northerntool.com and look under hyd hardware and purchase a great 15gpm filter for just a few bucks. As for the carbon particulates, a centrifuge is the only way to get it out of the fuel. The carbon doesn't actually hurt anything internally as carbon is an extremely good bearing material... but smoke?  WHEW!

bill

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2008, 04:17:07 AM »
Man I aint used toilet paper in years ......
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

cujet

• Lister power rules!
    • View Profile
    • www.cujet.com
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2008, 04:30:40 AM »
Gentlemen,

Burning drain oil isn't a problem... nor is filtering it... but please, don't use toilet paper or papertowel filters... honestly, go the local parts store or www.northerntool.com and look under hyd hardware and purchase a great 15gpm filter for just a few bucks. As for the carbon particulates, a centrifuge is the only way to get it out of the fuel. The carbon doesn't actually hurt anything internally as carbon is an extremely good bearing material... but smoke?  WHEW!

bill

I have a $12,000 Alfa-Laval centrifugal filter. I is totally incapable of carbon removal. It will clarify jet fuel perfectly clear. Even jet fuel that has massive biological/chemical/particulate contamination. However, when I add used motor oil to the Jet A, the carbon is not removed. Even after an overnight stint in the centrifuge! By the way, this thing pulls 30,000 "G's" centripidal force.
People who count on their fingers should maintain a discreet silence

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2008, 06:22:28 AM »
i have a theory about the effort to remove the carbon from waste oil :)

carbon is an element, true?

oil is a molecule, made up of various elements, hydrocarbons etc.

molecules are larger than elements

in order to filter down to the elemental atom level the oil molecule being larger cannot pass the filter.

so clearly (no pun intended) filtration is not going to get the black out of used motor oil, at least the carbon atoms which
there is probably a hell of a lot of in waste oil.

now if we are dealing with a buttload of carbon atoms (likely) how much force will it take to move a carbon atom in a centrifuge?

i suspect the G forces required to do so would be virtually unattainable without a horrendous amount of money spent.

so whats left?

what has an affinity for carbon atoms, that also has no interest in the oil hydrocarbon molecule?

hell if i know :)

it is also possible that hydrocarbons themselves have an affinity for carbon atoms! and if this is the case
seperating the two is going to be very difficult.

probably going to have to re distill the oil again to seperate the  carbon from the hydrocarbons.

not sure i want to build a refinery in my back yard, and i am sure my neighbors agree.

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2008, 09:33:26 PM »
I'm sure you realy don't want to have a refinery in your back yard and then invite me and Bob chomping on a couple of cigars to look it over lol.

It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken