Author Topic: Wood Gasifer Kit Now Offered  (Read 96333 times)

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
Re: Wood Gasifer Kit Now Offered
« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2009, 04:18:49 AM »
This might be of interest.....

http://www.spaco.org/Woodgas/FirstTest42009.htm

This fellow has one of those Chinese systems Utterpower was selling.
This is the firts information on this type I have found in web form
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

SteveU.

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2009, 02:06:09 AM »
Hi Doug
I must have missed your post getting the three gardens tilled in, getting new fencing and a clothesline up. AND, mowing, mowing, mowing!! Finally a couple of windy stormy days. Good.
I have been following with interest on the Gasification Lists these folks working through attempting to get motor grade fuel gas out of their $400.USD Chinese gasification stove. You can hear the skepticism in Kevin Chisholms voice there (he sells these as stoves on the East coast) trying to advise them. But  now having seen two working gasifiers and hanging out with the guys over at the Yahoo WoodGas group for the last few months, now that they have added a cyclone and are going to go with additional cooling/filtration I DO think with religious fuel preparation they may be able to get a good 2 hour usable gas run out of this before it plugs up with ash. Others experimenting with the GEK gasifier kits are finding ash cleaning out needed at  5-10 hours run time or 100-200 lbs/50-100 kg fuel usage intervals. Over in the Yahoo WoodGas group photo section a fella posted cut opened up pictures of the Chinese cooler filter box showing the baffle chambering and water cooling coils along with pictures of the ChangFa engine he was going to fuel. Somebody over there posted a gasified Chinese Engine running claim. Two of the fellas  there Mike LaRosa and Wayne Keith have the reputations of being able  "to make gas out out of a straight piece of pipe".

Doug, you like engines. On on one of the woodgas sites there has been a running thread about what would make the IDEAL small gasified engine. Lister CSs and ChangFA got thrown in the first three posts. The Redstone was out by the tenth post. The big singles were declared to be: Too heavy, Too unportable, Too hard to source - US EPA importation concerns. The ChangFa clones were called too "clanky". A REAL problem is these small slow speed engines will not pull an even enough suction through the cyclones to spin out the gunk. And to even create enough suction on a 6/1 Listeroid to pull the gas through the reactor/filtering train restrictions the throttling loss is making the  output power unusable. Need a 3600 RPM screamer or a multicylinder has been the consensus. After running a gauntlet of Arrows, GM/Cummins diesel/gas conversions to Izuzu/Kubota refer units to Vtwin Onan, Briggs, Honda gas engines finally an Australian fellow  pointed out Doug Williams was now recommending an Indian 3 cylinder factory converted gaseous 1500/1800 RPM unit:
http://www.prakash-india.com/product/biomass-genset.htm
Looking through their complete Renewable Energy section under "About Biomass" and see they will even supply a licensed gasifier to match.

Now knowing  that I am using a "non-ideal engine" with my Listeriod, but using the acumulated advice of the from the Yahoo WoodGas fellas and others, I now know I will probably have to power BLOW through a  gasifier, use a big pulse dampener filterchamber chamber, and INSULATE the reactor  to conserve and concentrate process heat. Their words have been:  "(either) Suck it's socks off! (or) Blow it's brains out!", "Getter' good and HOT and keep 'er HOT", "Have you melted the nozzles or reduction tube yet? (When you do you will know) You are getting close. (Then)Use better metal"

Regards
SteveU.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 06:44:25 AM by SteveU. »
Use it up. Wear it out. Make Do, or Do Without.
 Electrodyne 12vdc. AC MeccAlte 8.5kw
John Deere 950 w/Yammar 3cyl IDI; Peterson 21" sawmill w/20hp Kohler v-twin; four Stilh chainsaws,  Stilh weedeaters; various Kohler, Onan, Honda, Briggs, Tecumseh singles.

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #47 on: May 08, 2009, 05:45:26 AM »
If I were going to import any engine from India Prakash would not be high on my list ( they sold some Listeroids here I think from Utterpower for a short time ).

The engine I would try and get would be a KOEL RB 33. Good luck KOEL won't sell them to you ( its a Petteroid 3 )

As for the Chinese gasifier I think its interesting that they were sold for engine use but the people importing them and making those claims never actuly showed any video or details
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

vtmetro

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2010, 01:45:34 AM »
Nineteen months later .....  how have your wood gas/Lister projects worked out?

SteveU.

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 29, 2011, 12:11:59 AM »
Hi Guys
Been a long time since I've even looked at this topic thread. Came here to refer some fellows wanting to know my first woodgasing operating experience. Refered them back to my experience and pictures with MarcusB. shown earlier here.

So Mr vtmetro askes a good question: 19 months later and where we at??
I am up to ~200 operating hours on 11 different gasifier designs. Piece a cake now making woodgas for 3 kW of power for boring after boring hour. Doesn't have to be brainac totally tar free. Pick the right engine. Learn to operate a system with your own woods, in your own climate for your own needs to make "good 'nuff" fuel gas. See here for DYI:
Google up YouTubes for PhilC. system at "GetSomeBass1" woodgas videos.  Google up for Daniel "Foxridgecampground" woodgas videos.
Read here many times DutchJohns pdf in English for making Microgasifiers;
www.woodgas.nl

For buy-it systems see where the APL/GEK people have evolved to;
www.gekgasifier.com     Open up the "Buy It" tab and let it load. Read it all for a history.

See here for a different designers All stainless steel systems I have been involved with. I have insisting on a 5000 hour overhaul interval and 20,000 hour minimum service life as design goals for true working offgrid capable systems. I have now system tested these to be able to project this:
http://victorygasifier.com
Both of these are now evolved mechanically mature systems and I do not expect any major changed or improvements now. Yes $$$$ and $$,$$$. That is the price for years of the development hours, set backs, the hundreds of prototypes built, and then the quality of  materials needed to put this experience into real metals available as produced systems. They both encourage their "One button" "Turn key packages" These ARE NOT KISS. Pass, save the money. And then put in the time to learn to operate manually. And then YOU design a simple timer automation system you can understand and maintain.

You will see that all of these have also evolved to spark ignition four cycle gasoline/gasious fueled engines. As have I. Sold my 12/1 India hot-rod "hopper". Kept the nice but noisy RS180 Jeng Dong for a small diesel. Truth be, to spark convert a Lister/Listeriod/Yanmar/Changfa engine while possible, and been done now, is a terrible waste of these rare hard to get excellent multi-heavy liquid fuel capable engines. And Duel fueling with diesel as the pilot ignition and woodgas as the primary fuel source has proven under actual generator variable loading and especially off load dumps to be unstable resulting in dangerous over-speeds with over-voltages and frequency swings.

I know of two now CS Listeriod 6/1 spark converted woodgassed efforts. Both have never documented more than a 1000 to 1500 watt generated capability. I have personal gotten 3.2 generated loaded kilowatts out of a little 3600 RPM Briggs 5.5 kW (gasoline) scream-a-matic genset.  The 972cc three cylinder Kubota's NA engines able to make a solid 5 kW AC or DC generated power woodgased fueled. Very quiet and smooth.
So pick the right engine. Pick a gasifier design and then really LEARN to use it with easy to gasify chunked up wood fuels and this is very doable.
Quote from one of the thousand + hour gasifier guys I have put up before, "Gasification is only 25% mechanical and 75% experience."

My lines of advice now are,"Only fuel wood Burning is actually Learning.",  "And Only engine running on woodgas is Really Learning Well."

If you want;  Google up "Steve Unruh woodgas" follow all of the links to see how I have evolved to form these opinions.

Regards
Washington State Steve Unruh

« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 12:49:47 AM by SteveU. »
Use it up. Wear it out. Make Do, or Do Without.
 Electrodyne 12vdc. AC MeccAlte 8.5kw
John Deere 950 w/Yammar 3cyl IDI; Peterson 21" sawmill w/20hp Kohler v-twin; four Stilh chainsaws,  Stilh weedeaters; various Kohler, Onan, Honda, Briggs, Tecumseh singles.

vtmetro

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2012, 05:11:12 AM »
Not practical for a Listeroid conversion, then, in conclusion.

cgwymp

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2012, 12:27:47 PM »
Just a friendly warning -- I went back to the beginning of this thread just to get some context and clicked the link to allpowerlabs.org. Got this:
Safe Browsing
Diagnostic page for allpowerlabs.org

What is the current listing status for allpowerlabs.org?

Site is listed as suspicious - visiting this web site may harm your computer.

Part of this site was listed for suspicious activity 4 time(s) over the past 90 days.

What happened when Google visited this site?

Of the 7 pages we tested on the site over the past 90 days, 6 page(s) resulted in malicious software being downloaded and installed without user consent. The last time Google visited this site was on 2012-11-15, and the last time suspicious content was found on this site was on 2012-11-09.

Malicious software is hosted on 1 domain(s), including adonclick.net/.

This site was hosted on 2 network(s) including AS26347 (DREAMHOST), AS15169 (Google Internet Backbone).

Has this site acted as an intermediary resulting in further distribution of malware?

Over the past 90 days, allpowerlabs.org did not appear to function as an intermediary for the infection of any sites.

Has this site hosted malware?

No, this site has not hosted malicious software over the past 90 days.

How did this happen?

In some cases, third parties can add malicious code to legitimate sites, which would cause us to show the warning message.

Next steps:

Return to the previous page.
    If you are the owner of this web site, you can request a review of your site using Google Webmaster Tools. More information about the review process is available in Google's Webmaster Help Center.

Listeroid 8/1

Madness

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 03, 2013, 01:33:18 PM »
For those who are interested there is a very good web site http://www.woodgas.nl/microgasifiers/microgasifiers.html about microgasifiers. Theses are designed for engines producing horsepower similar to that of a single cylinder Lister.