Author Topic: Newbie Observations, Questions and Pics  (Read 3296 times)

Geno

• View Profile
Newbie Observations, Questions and Pics
« on: March 12, 2006, 06:42:32 PM »
6/1 Observations:
This is the 1st Listeroid I’ve seen in the flesh, so keep that in mind. I have not run the engine. Other than the flywheels and crank it is completely torn down. Most of my inspection so far looks good. Cylinder bore is good. Someone trapped a piece of crud in the upper, big end, con rod bearing on assembly which harmed the bearing but did very minor damage to the crank. I've seen minor scoring on other wear areas, which will polish out. So far I found 2 very small pockets of sand in the case, under the paint. No sand anywhere else. The oil in the bottom of the sump was thick and a bit smelly but I could not feel any grit between my fingers. The tappets and guides came out easily after removing the paint. Tappett faces need cleaning up. I found more pockets of sand or loose paint today when I put my 3500 psi pressure washer to it. Not nearly as bad as some of the engines I’ve read about but I’m glad to have it out of there. Some rust or sand came out of the water jackets as well. I expected these things and knew what I was getting into but am quite satisfied so far.

Questions:
Gear lash is visible but minimal. My feeler gauges are too wide to get in there. What is it supposed to be?

Idler gear moves in and out 1/8” but fits in the shaft well. Is this ok?

I plan on using the oil pump to lube the top end and filter the oil. The left side is easy. Is there a recommended way of getting the right side, or is it necessary?

Crank journal out of round by .001 is this OK?

While spinning the flywheels I can hear the TRBs in the upper part of the race lightly click into place when gravity lets them. From my experience (with other applications) they should be a little snugger. What do you think?

I just got into the right side cam bushing and its pretty bad but polished out somewhat. I’m starting to think I need a rebuild kit. My question is, should I put some time on the engine to flush out any remaining contamination and then rebuild or rebuild it now and take a chance I got it clean?

Bearing pics. The camera flash seems to make flaws look worse than they really are. Is it as bad as it looks?
http://www.sprucemtsurplus.com/temp/con-rod.jpg
http://www.sprucemtsurplus.com/temp/lower-bearing.jpg

Thank You, Geno
« Last Edit: March 12, 2006, 06:47:41 PM by Geno »