Puppeteer

Author Topic: Anybody tried this?  (Read 7208 times)

rbodell

• View Profile
    • Life after retirement
Anybody tried this?
« on: April 25, 2008, 12:31:57 AM »

A fellow called me and somebody in the scientific comunity had told him about this. He said it burned with a nice blue smokeless flame.

Take some WVO and run it through a filter go get rid of the big stuff.

Add 20% water and put into a glass container. Shake well. Let stand for two days.

What is on the top layer is fuel.

I am guessing that it should still be tested for acidity. If this is good fuel, it sure is a lot simpeler than biodiesel and doesn't thicken with cold temperatures.
The shear depth of my shallowness is perplexing yet morbidly interesting. Bob 2007

rbodell

• View Profile
    • Life after retirement
Re: Anybody tried this?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 02:38:25 AM »
What you are doing is simply washing your veggie oil - nothing magic about that. It behaves the same as normal veggie oil with temperature because ... drum roll please ... it IS normal veggie oil. You wash veggie oil to remove acidity and other possibly dissolved nasties. Since it is kinda difficult to come up with a large enough glass container and since even if you found one it would be hard to shake, you could just add some misting heads and a pump and wash your oil that way.

... or am I missing something here ???????

Jens

Acording to what I was told, there is a layer of water (obviously) and a layer of grease, that would normally be in the biodiesel. Maybe a couple of other layers too. They said it apeared to burn more like alcohol than biodiesel or oil. I kind of doubt there is any alcohol here, but maybe a lot thinner viscosity of WVO. Possibly thin enough that you wouldn't need to heat it in the winter. Would somebody with some WVO give this a try.
The shear depth of my shallowness is perplexing yet morbidly interesting. Bob 2007

VeggieDiesel

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 04:56:50 AM »
Hi rbodell,

The top layer is vegetable oil. It's viscosity should still be the same except for any fats that may have separated into the middle layer.
Water and veggie oil do not create a chemical reaction when mixed and shaken.
They simply separate apart later. The water may help to wash out some impurities, but the result is still veggie oil and water.
As far as I know, there is no short cut (yet) for going through the chemical cracking process of mixing sodium hydroxide (or potassium hydroxide) to strip off glycerin and add (bond) carbon molecules in the biodiesel reaction process.

Cheers,
Veggie

rbodell

• View Profile
    • Life after retirement
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 02:48:47 PM »
Hi rbodell,

The top layer is vegetable oil. It's viscosity should still be the same except for any fats that may have separated into the middle layer.
Water and veggie oil do not create a chemical reaction when mixed and shaken.
They simply separate apart later. The water may help to wash out some impurities, but the result is still veggie oil and water.
As far as I know, there is no short cut (yet) for going through the chemical cracking process of mixing sodium hydroxide (or potassium hydroxide) to strip off glycerin and add (bond) carbon molecules in the biodiesel reaction process.

Cheers,
Veggie

Not having messed with WVO, I wasn't aware that the lye did anything besides equalize the acidity like it does in WMO.

It seemed a little over simplafied, but then you never know. Somebody had to try everything the first time..

VeggieDiesel

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2008, 05:29:50 AM »
rbodell,

Are you burning WMO in your Lister(oid) ??

If so, how do you clean it and prep it for burning ?

Veggie

rbodell

• View Profile
    • Life after retirement
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2008, 05:06:27 PM »
rbodell,

Are you burning WMO in your Lister(oid) ??

If so, how do you clean it and prep it for burning ?

Veggie

While it is being pumped through the Dieselcraft centrifuge for a couple of hours (powered by the lister), every once and a while I take a sample and mix it with equal amount fo distilled water in a clear dish soap container and set it upside down for a while till it seperates.

Then I hold it (still upside down) over a bowel and quickly remove and replace the snap open cap allowing a few drops of water to fall into the bowel. I test the water with litmus paper and add a little Sodium Hydroxide desolved in distilled water. A heating element keeps the oil hot enough to evaporate the water. After a while the oil comes down to nutral. If I go too far, I just add another gallon of oil.

VeggieDiesel

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2008, 06:13:48 AM »
rbodell,

Do you stick to certain types of used oil?

For example...only ATF?

If you use engine oils, do you try to stay with the lower viscosities? ( I realize you may not have a choice on this one)

Or is it a mix of everything?

Veggie

rbodell

• View Profile
    • Life after retirement
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2008, 05:13:20 PM »
rbodell,

Do you stick to certain types of used oil?

For example...only ATF?

If you use engine oils, do you try to stay with the lower viscosities? ( I realize you may not have a choice on this one)

Or is it a mix of everything?

Veggie

Just whatever I get, atf, oil, gear lube, stale diesel, kerosine, occasionally small amounts of stale gasoline, oil from oil changes in my lister, etc. I don't have access to WVO but I don't think I would try mixing that. Nothing to base it on either, just wouldn't. I would use a different tank.

I would like to get hold of some crude oil and try that too if I could.