Author Topic: Petter AA1: Any clues about cleaning fouled injectors?  (Read 8481 times)

nusynth

• View Profile
Petter AA1: Any clues about cleaning fouled injectors?
« on: April 16, 2008, 09:33:55 AM »
I have a Petter AA1 diesel Genset that is not getting any fuel. It is a mid 1960s motor made in the original Petter Staines England factory. Otherwise it looks like it is in good shape. The fellow I got it from thought the injector was fouled. The shop manual says you have to clean the injector tip with a "pricker" which sounds like some sort of British insult you could use to start a bar fight with over there. What do you use to safely get the crud out of the injector tip? Soak the injector in injector cleaner? Somebody says that you can get a diesel Mercedes to turn over using a diesel soaked rag in the intake. That could be an urban legend for all I know.  Is there any way to do this kind of trick on these small motors? I tried a diesel soaked rag in the air cleaner, nothing.  I was thinking that if I could get it to fire maybe the crud would burn off or is that wishful thinking?  I hear that these injectors are delicate. I think it is the injector because there is nothing going, no white smoke or fuel fumes out the exhaust. I ran straight injector cleaner in the fuel line and let it soak for a few weeks. There seems to be good compression. The battery gets real tired in a hurry cranking. I also heard that it is tricky getting the injector back in and you can damage it if you do not know what you are doing which is pretty much where I am at. The manual says to replace the gasket which I would bet has not been done in the last 20 years or so. Do people fabricate gaskets? Well that's it, any pointers on injector servicing would be welcome.  I have another slightly newer AA1 AC/DC genset which starts right up and is for sale in the Portland Oregon area if there is interest: sales@veesystems.com. I can take mastercard/visa.

Tom

GuyFawkes

• View Profile
    • stuff
Re: Petter AA1: Any clues about cleaning fouled injectors?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 12:00:27 PM »
I have a Petter AA1 diesel Genset that is not getting any fuel. It is a mid 1960s motor made in the original Petter Staines England factory. Otherwise it looks like it is in good shape. The fellow I got it from thought the injector was fouled. The shop manual says you have to clean the injector tip with a "pricker" which sounds like some sort of British insult you could use to start a bar fight with over there. What do you use to safely get the crud out of the injector tip? Soak the injector in injector cleaner? Somebody says that you can get a diesel Mercedes to turn over using a diesel soaked rag in the intake. That could be an urban legend for all I know.  Is there any way to do this kind of trick on these small motors? I tried a diesel soaked rag in the air cleaner, nothing.  I was thinking that if I could get it to fire maybe the crud would burn off or is that wishful thinking?  I hear that these injectors are delicate. I think it is the injector because there is nothing going, no white smoke or fuel fumes out the exhaust. I ran straight injector cleaner in the fuel line and let it soak for a few weeks. There seems to be good compression. The battery gets real tired in a hurry cranking. I also heard that it is tricky getting the injector back in and you can damage it if you do not know what you are doing which is pretty much where I am at. The manual says to replace the gasket which I would bet has not been done in the last 20 years or so. Do people fabricate gaskets? Well that's it, any pointers on injector servicing would be welcome.  I have another slightly newer AA1 AC/DC genset which starts right up and is for sale in the Portland Oregon area if there is interest: sales@veesystems.com. I can take mastercard/visa.

Tom

Injector pricker is like an oxy acetylene torch nozzle cleaner.

If an injector is blocked basically the crap is already in there, and the only way to get it out is a strip and service, if you aren't up to do that yourself*** take it to a diesel injection service shop, it's cheap and fast.

*** basically means have done it before, which if that were the case you probably wouldn't be asking these questions, so best advice is don't mess around with it, find an injection service shop and give them the injector (ideally the injector and the pump, in which case they will want to know engine cylinder capacity, RPM ranges and compression ratio to set the pump up right) here in the UK in converted to dollars prices this runs about 30 bucks per injector and 100 bucks for the pump, what you get back is a stripped and cleaned pump and injectors, new washers and seals, pump output calibrated for pressure and delivery volumes, etc etc etc, well worth the money.
--
Original Lister CS 6/1 Start-o-matic 2.5 Kw (radiator conversion)
3Kw 130 VDC Dynamo to be added. (compressor + hyd pump)
Original Lister D, megasquirt multifuel project, compressor and truck alternator.
Current status - project / standby, Fuel, good old pump diesel.

Chuggy

• View Profile
Re: Petter AA1: Any clues about cleaning fouled injectors?
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 07:36:46 PM »
Tom

as long as you keep things clean then removing the injector is a five minute job, involving a few nuts to remove the tinwork and then two nuts and fuel pipe connectors.

I have removed my injector and reused my gasket lots of times but it's easy to make one from gasket paper if you do tear it, then you can inspect the injector nozzle to see if it looks blocked you can always refit the injector to the piework whilst out of the head and see if it sprays when cranking (make sure you point the spray direction away from you).

Chug