Puppeteer

Author Topic: My New WVO Processor  (Read 55773 times)

Dwelley

• View Profile
Re: My New WVO Processor
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2009, 12:57:06 AM »
Vegie said :
I have a friend who has a company that blends diesel fuel additives. He informed me that (from his perspective) the best way to run WVO in a diesel is to blend 85%WVO with 15% regular unleaded gasoline(as a diluent), and add 100ml of cetane booster to enhance complete combustion.

Thanks for defining RUG - -regular unleaded gasoline!!  Also, your friend said 100ml cetane booster..per what amount of fuel?  100ml per 5 gal..100ml per 55 gallons?

Very helpful and interesting suggestion.

Regards,

Frank in Granby

Veggiefuel

• Energy Machines Ltd.
    • View Profile
    • Energy Machines Ltd.
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2009, 02:55:01 AM »
Thanks for defining RUG - -regular unleaded gasoline!!  Also, your friend said 100ml cetane booster..per what amount of fuel?  100ml per 5 gal..100ml per 55 gallons?

Sorry for the confusion.

For starters add  2ml additive per liter of WVO/RUG ..... OR .... 1/4 oz additive per gallon of WVO/RUG.

Hence 100 ml additive for a 50 liter batch of WVO/RUG.

The product I bought is called "Super Diesel Plus" made by LubeCorp Inc.
It's a diesel fuel lubricant for low sulfur diesel fuel which also carries cetane boosters.

I think there are many makers of such additives. Just check the specs on the container and see if it states cetane boosters.

Cheers,
Veggie

GM90 engines, Changfa's, Voltmaster Generators, Pellet Mills - www.energymachines.ca

Veggiefuel

• Energy Machines Ltd.
    • View Profile
    • Energy Machines Ltd.
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2009, 03:11:38 AM »

Diesel @ 15c   30.63sec
vegoil @ 14.5c   1.05
veg oil @ 20c   49
veg oil @ 70c   33.45
new corn oil   51.31

veg oil 20% pet + 0.2 acetone   51.75
veg oil with 20%petrol   51.75
veg oil with 0.2% acetone   59.35
60% derv 40% veg    34.4  (similar time to veg at 70C)

veg oil with 20%petrol @ 70c   34.81

Stephen,

Thanks for taking the time to post this data.

Two items of interest to me.....

Diesel @ 15c   30.63sec
veg oil with 20%petrol @ 70c   34.81sec

This confirms the above discussions that a blend of petrol and WVO can create a dilution with a viscosity very close to standard diesel fuel.
The question remains which is the best diluent?
Some members have noted a reluctance to blend with gasoline due to the hazardous nature of the diluent. I wonder if the hazards are greatly reduced once the gasoline is blended with WVO.??
Have you had an opportunity to try both diesel fuel and gasoline as diluents in your engines?

Cheers,
Veggie

GM90 engines, Changfa's, Voltmaster Generators, Pellet Mills - www.energymachines.ca

Veggiefuel

• Energy Machines Ltd.
    • View Profile
    • Energy Machines Ltd.
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2009, 03:58:33 PM »
Jens,
I agree. Vapors are a concern.
IMHO, any fumes at all from gasoline are scary. Although, I would prefer to dilute my WVO with RUG because of the convenience (No heat required), but as you mentioned, the vapors would have to be controlled. (I am referring to stationary applications. Vehicle fuel tanks would not be an issue).

Just wondering, people store lawn mowers, weedwackers, Motorcycles, etc in the garage. Most older units have pinhole vents in the gas cap.
A blended fuel might be much more benign and produce much less of a risk.
If a WVO blended fuel stationary engine had a fuel lid with a pinhole vent would that be a problem? Would that not be safer than traditional gasoline appliances.?

Veggie

lowspeedlife

• old iron for a new age
  • no i'm not no cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2009, 11:12:25 PM »
Small gasoiline engine fuel tanks vent both ways, air in when the fuel is used & vapors out when the fuel heats & expands/vapors off. vantilation is the key here, not allowing vapors to be contained & consentrated will prevent problems & mixing with WVO will help keep the gasoline from coming out of solution. Of course the best way to keep it in solution is to keep its temperature low.

Scott R.
Scott R.

5.7 liter diesel k-5 blazer. converting to wvo.
omega 20/2 listeroid

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2009, 02:42:19 AM »
I have a neighbor that uses kerosene as part of a diesel formula using WVO as the base.  Anyone else heard of this slightly different approach?

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

Oiler

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2009, 07:45:00 PM »
Don't worry about the vapours burning.
Because vapours inside a tank are so dense they cannnot burn and outside the venthole they are too dilluted.

1962 CS 6/1 for cutting firewood.
Armstrong Siddley AS1 for sale.

1937 Lister D

1918 Lister L

lowspeedlife

• old iron for a new age
  • no i'm not no cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2009, 01:03:41 AM »
I have a neighbor that uses kerosene as part of a diesel formula using WVO as the base.  Anyone else heard of this slightly different approach?

Casey

Hi Casey, in colder climates the use of straight kerosene is a pretty common practice. using it straight or in conjunction with WVO I think I would add some sort of lubricant to the fuel as WVO has little lubrication value & kerosene has practically none. I have used Marvel Mystery Oil in diesels for years, & it's red so it makes the fuels look like on-road taxed diesel fuel.   ;) ;)

Scott R.
Scott R.

omega 20/2 listeroid

lowspeedlife

• old iron for a new age
  • no i'm not no cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2009, 01:43:33 AM »
Disagreement respectfully acknowleged.

SR
Scott R.

omega 20/2 listeroid

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2009, 02:04:40 AM »
So - whats disagreeable?

Colored Fuel / taxed ?

WVO lubricity ?

Kerosene's value as a thinner?

lowspeedlife

• old iron for a new age
  • no i'm not no cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2009, 01:01:56 AM »
Hi Jens, I have to correct my comment about the colored/taxed fuel, i was wrong.
 As for the using kerosene straight, I know several people who do it & several on here have made the same comment, I did not say it was smart & I certainly would not do it.
About WVO's lubricating qualities, I have not seen any info on it, if you have, I would love to see it. Until I see something concrete about it I would not risk my injection equiptment to straight VO without a lubrication addative.
Scott R.

omega 20/2 listeroid

Veggiefuel

• Energy Machines Ltd.
    • View Profile
    • Energy Machines Ltd.
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2009, 04:14:57 AM »
Hi guys,

I've done a LOT of research on this subject. The last thing I want to do is screw up my beloved Changfa.
Fuel blending has been done in the UK for many years and until the goverment outlawed the blending of kerosene it was common to use it in VO. There are some users with a considerable number of miles on there vehicles using WVO blends. One key difference is that many of the engines reported are multi-speed vehicle engines rather than fixed speed stationary units. Blenders in the UK have now switched to RUG.
Many stationary test reports were conducted with SVO and the results vary all over the map. WVO blending tests are not easy to find.
I have studied many blends and mixtures, but there is a common thread of successful stories based on the following formula.
Let's break down the requirements....

Four requirements (of any blend formula) come to mind:

1] To get close to the viscosity of regular diesel without using heat.
2] Maintain adequate lubrication of the fuel system.
3] Maintain complete combustion.
4] Maintain a stable, non-separating mixture

To satisfy #1 we can add Kerosene or RUG as a diluent. This is not intended as a fuel. Its a viscosity reducer and the general consensus is that this component should not exceed 40% of the total mixture, with 15% being most common. The more you use, the lower the cetane rating of the overall batch.

To satisfy #2 we add a diesel fuel lubrication additive (which is now also recommended for dino-diesel due to ultra low sulfur fuels). This is precautionary. The viscosity of the final blend is still greater than dino-diesel.

To satisfy #3 we can choose a fuel lube additive that also has cetane boosters. Also, WVO can have dissolved fats that do not get caught by filters and can emulsify or coagulate in cooler temperatures or standing time. To satisfy this, one can add 1% turpentine which tends to do a very good job of reducing fats and preventing coagulation without effecting combustion.

#4 I intend to test for myself. I will blend various concentrations and let them stand at varying temperatures. I can report this data when complete.

Another point worth mentioning is engine temperature and loads. Full operating temp and loads of 80% or better should increase the chances of maintaining complete combustion.

Again, there does not seem to be any documented lab tests on mixtures such as this. I for one intend to proceed with this blend and document the results.

Please share any blending suggestions or anecdotes with the rest of us.

Cheers,
Veggie

« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 04:00:17 PM by Veggiefuel »

veggie

• Keep Calm and Start the Lister !
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2011, 04:42:01 AM »
Hi All,

Evolution in action  ;D
Here's version 2 of my WVO processor....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yI5-8hFWpSU&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

veggie
- 6/1 GM90 Listeroid - Delco 33si Alternator
- Changfa R175 - Lease/Neville Alternator
- JiangDong R165 Air cooled - 2 kw
- Changfa S195 (Waiting for a project)

Horsepoor

• West Palm Beach, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2011, 06:57:47 AM »
I really enjoyed watching this video and several others on your site. I am amazed how pure the processed oil looks as it came out. Did you start with dirty waste motor oil?
GTC 20/2 down rated to 850 rpm - ST 15
Metro 6/1 800 rpm on cart - ST 7.5

deeiche

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2011, 02:31:27 PM »
Hi All,

Evolution in action  ;D
Here's version 2 of my WVO processor....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yI5-8hFWpSU&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

veggie
thanks for the update

question
Do you know how much energy is consumed during processing?