Author Topic: Which Lister Model?  (Read 15892 times)

Stan

Re: Which Lister Model?
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2006, 02:21:50 AM »
Tnx for the info on the Petter AVA1 Ken....I'll do some more research.  I'd guess the AVA1 is loud as it's 1800 rpm and air cooled.  Really do want to find that mint SOM in a neighbour's garage sale one day ;D
Stan

Mikofox

• View Profile
    • The Tattered Flag
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2006, 03:03:45 AM »
Greg, thanks appreciate that!
Skype Me: Mikofox

Doug

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2006, 03:21:55 AM »
Thats a good point about the Petter clones being much different form the originals and the design is still in flux. I have even seen one varient with a spin on oil filter. The valve train looks very German especialy with the air cooled ones, it would be intersting to see if we could find a real AVA1 and compare it to the Clone.

Doug

Stan

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2006, 06:12:42 AM »
Doug...I'm going to make contact with the guy who offered the AVA1 to me (although he lives 80 or 90 miles away) and see if I can get pics of it.  It'll be next week anyway at the earliest.
btw...its listed as 6 hp. @ 1800 rpm
stan

Doug

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2006, 03:12:06 AM »
I would bet its the 87.5 bore 110 stroke engine.
This seems to be the most common.

Doug

Stan

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2006, 03:45:33 AM »
Have you heard one run?  I'm a bit concerned about it being too loud for use in an urban environment.  Maybe a custom exhaust setup might help.
Stan

Doug

« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2006, 04:05:37 AM »
Uhm.... I think so.
My father taught a small engine course in the 80's, I recall an air cooled English engine in the class that I'm sure was a Petter of this type. It had the same Pepper can exhaust and was loud but no more than the screaming flat heads the other people brought to class to learn how to fix....
Not much to go on I know, but I remember it clearly because the owner couldn't get rings and they ended up making a set from some other engine quite a lot of work went in to it....

Doug

Don't let the noise scare you off, everything is noisy. Be creative and you can hush and muffle almost anything.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2006, 04:08:50 AM by Doug »