Puppeteer

Author Topic: Volvo diesel?  (Read 12242 times)

4x4_Welder

• What do you think I do?
    • View Profile
Volvo diesel?
« on: April 13, 2008, 04:14:39 AM »
I passed on an opportunity today that I may regret later-  I did some work for a guy, and he told me he could either give me cash, or this old engine he had in his shed.  It was a single cylinder Volvo diesel with about a 20" flywheel on it, I think it was liquid cooled, and he said they used to use them in small boats.  Being pretty broke now I took the money, but would it be worthwhile to get this engine later?  I have a few jobs I do for this guy on the side, and I'll be going back there next weekend-
I love the smell of diesel smoke in the morning!

captfred

• View Profile
Re: Volvo diesel?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 07:21:38 AM »
Likely an MD-1 10hp, smaller cousin of the 2b and 11c I've run over the years on several different sailboats.  Very simple engine and Easy to work on but probably dicey to get parts for and the parts were always expensive.  I was "given" an 11c but when I went to pick it up they changed their mind.  Still trying to get it.

Could be an awesome deal or an expensive to repair pile of iron.  See if you can get the engine to roll over - lift the decompression lever and roll it by hand or use the handcrank (years ago had to rebuild one that was seized from sitting).  There are a few sailing yacht forums where people discuss these engines, might be able to point you in a direction to get parts etc.

Hope this helps,
fred

4x4_Welder

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 06:42:02 PM »
I found a few videos on youtube of this style engine- 
Seems to spin a bit faster than a Lister, upwards of 1800-2000rpm, so a bit quicker than I want.
My next diesel will be a low speed Lister or Listeroid, or at the very least that type of engine.

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2008, 08:50:31 PM »
Are you nuts?

Its a Volvo man. Top of the line in marine diesel.

Any day of the week this out classes any roid
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

captfred

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2008, 09:25:06 PM »
Yeah they are some mighty fine iron - while in Okinawa the crank end bolt fractured had to buy a replacement (luckily volvos were somewhat popular in japan then - go figure) paid $120.00 for a freakin' grade 8 "volvobolt"

Don't even want to think about what I spent to rebuild the transmission.

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2008, 09:32:34 PM »
Volvo Penta In Japan might actualy be a Nissan Industrial diesel or volvo made under liscence by Tohatsu for Nissan to sell as a volvo in Asia ( phew... )

The Penta I/O is probably the best on the market in its class.
The marine diesels are very hard to beat

listerdiesel

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2008, 10:09:52 PM »
Volvo took over Bolinder-Munktell, which included the Bolinder engine line as well as the Munktell tractors etc.

Volvo-BM was the corporate name for some years for that part of the Volvo business.

I have a very nice book (in Swedish) published by the Bolinder company, giving the history of the company,. makes good reading as you can get the gist of what is in there.

The MD engines were much later and smaller than the original Bolinder stuff, the last true Bolinder was this type I believe:

http://www.stationary-engine.co.uk/Espana/Espana3P3.htm
or
http://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel/Espana/Espana3P3.htm

Peter

4x4_Welder

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2008, 11:03:17 PM »
If this is that good, then maybe I will get it-
My long term goal is to buy a piece of property way off grid, use an efficient diesel generator to charge a battery bank, run the house off inverters or maybe even a 36v system.
I just want to make sure the engine will be up to the task. 

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2008, 11:18:46 PM »
Yes it will easily carry a load.

Marine engines are rated to produce their power on a constant just like a proper industrial stationary.

MeanListerGreen

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2008, 11:56:45 PM »
I have been looking for an MD -1 for years.  Last one I saw 3 years ago had a $900 price tag on it.  It wa rebuilt and came with everything though, prop, control panel, transmission, driveshaft.  I made an offer of $650, all I had to spend at the time and he didn't budge.  You can still get parts for the MD-1 at marinas in Fla.  At that time I found a marina online that stocked parts for it.  I saved it but on my old computer which crashed.  Do a search.
MLG Gib Key Pullers

GuyFawkes

• View Profile
    • stuff
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2008, 11:28:59 AM »
I passed on an opportunity today that I may regret later-  I did some work for a guy, and he told me he could either give me cash, or this old engine he had in his shed.  It was a single cylinder Volvo diesel with about a 20" flywheel on it, I think it was liquid cooled, and he said they used to use them in small boats.  Being pretty broke now I took the money, but would it be worthwhile to get this engine later?  I have a few jobs I do for this guy on the side, and I'll be going back there next weekend-

The OLD Volvo's such as the one you talk about were OK, about on a par with a Bukh mechanically, BUT, and it is a big BUT, the cost of spares in absolutely insane.

pic of a bukh

The newer Volvo Penta products are steaming piles of shit (marine engineering is/was my trade) with so-so build quality at best, and lovely little things like fuel lift pumps that were non service items so instead of buying a diaphragm kit for 5 bucks you bought a complete new lift pump for 250, same story with heat exchangers, can't service em so 2k for a new one.

I've read the other replies in this thread praising volvo, but basically cannot relate anything from my experience to them, on the other hand I could talk for several days citing in each case specific engine models with specific "gotchas" and faults, and that isn't even going anywhere near piss poor build with sharp edges everywhere (easy to spot a VP mechanic, his hands are covered in blood) and no thought given to service.

VP absolutely *massively* discount and subsidize new engine supply to so called "prestige" boat marques such as Sunseeker, and get all those subsidies back and then some in spares and service costs.

Even the very best volvo stuff such as the one you have found is still in reality no better than Cat, and in many ways worse quality materials and machining.

Given that you have openly stated that money isn't exactly overflowing your pockets unless the motor in question is A1 pristine you can't afford to get it running, you could literally buy a brand new listeroid for the price of a volvo lift pump and filter.

You literally could not give me a volvo penta, for free, it is still too much expense and too much hassle.

That's my 2p worth anyway.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 12:58:31 PM by GuyFawkes »
--
Original Lister CS 6/1 Start-o-matic 2.5 Kw (radiator conversion)
3Kw 130 VDC Dynamo to be added. (compressor + hyd pump)
Original Lister D, megasquirt multifuel project, compressor and truck alternator.
Current status - project / standby, Fuel, good old pump diesel.

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2008, 07:22:03 PM »
hey Guy, why don't you tell us what you really think?  :)

i have no experience with volvo marine, but i do have a bit with their mid size trucks
and i frankly wouldn't be caught dead working on one!

they might very well be a fine piece of engineering, but like mack trucks they have to do
everything their way.... and there is only room for one lunatic manufacture in the truck business
and Mack has had that one covered since the formation of dirt.

i agree, i would not take a free volvo, because of the price of parts and the fact that i do not want to
design and build around an orphan engine

quite frankly i don't know why anyone would, unless you are stranded on an island with only one engine to work with.

so far i have dodged that bullet

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2008, 08:45:28 PM »
Quote Guy:

"The newer Volvo Penta products are steaming piles of shit ".
You want to see a real steamer OMC and later the Snake drives..

Mercs are not on par with any Volvo.

Swedes are funny people, you love or hate their products.
Volvo is loved up here both in off road trucks and marine diesel.

Lets take Another famous brand Kiruna ( Gia group ).
Absolutely hate working on them they are proof to me that all Swedes are insaine ( except the vVolvo guys ).

Doug
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 08:49:31 PM by Doug »

Stoaty

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2008, 09:58:50 PM »
I have to back up GuyFawkes here. The modern Volvo engines are light weight, high power and high revving. On the other hand they are short lived and very, very expensive to repair. The boat forums I frequent are full of boat owners looking to rebuild or renew engines with less than 2000hrs on them.

horsefly76

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2008, 05:28:28 AM »
I have spent some time working on a volvo penta that is in a 250,000 watt generator we have at work.

I am not impressed with it. Never wants to start. Every thing is run by computer. I hate this tier 2 & 3 bull s*%t.  Engine has 1,700 hrs on the clock
2007 Metro 6/1 Running on Biodiesel (Thank's Sam!)
4 Hp Air Cooled Yanmar Clone
6.5 Hp Kubota EB-300 D
2007 kawasaki KLX 250 Dual Sport
2003 Jetta TDI 5 Spd.
1971 Lister SR1
2 Lister Petter LPA3