Author Topic: CS Flywheel  (Read 9835 times)

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
Re: CS Flywheel
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2008, 04:13:53 AM »
So burn the plate in a disk and take it to thje machine shop right?

Am I doing the machinist or myslef any favours by building the bonfire from hell and heating that disk to soften/destress it?
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

greenlister

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2008, 11:02:56 PM »
Hi Brian
There are still allot of these beasts (6/1's) out there waiting to be got in the UK. It seems you are in Horsham?
If you were to put an ad in your local farm merchants/ loacl rag 'wanted dead or alive' Lister cs etc you will be suprised what comes up. It worked for me. If all you want is a flywheel the rest is a bonus.
Andy

contaucreek

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2008, 04:45:22 PM »
Stress relieve is an exact science requiring precise temp control.If you harden it the machinist will not like you. Flame cut shops send stuff out for stress everyday, in our case it would add 2 days to the lead time but I dont believe it would be required.It may benefit by easing off on the hardness of the flame cut edges but still again they are readily machinable without stress, anneal etc. Rifle barrels are now being stressed cryogenically ! Old time machine tool builders would place the huge machine castings out in a field to reside for a few years of freezing/warming to normalize them prior to machining.
L.E.F. Dip #1 Threadstopper Extraordinaire

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2008, 07:26:48 PM »
I was just thinking about taking the blank and putting it at the heart of a hellish bonfire, then removing it and burrying it in some sand.

Not a good idea?

It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken