Author Topic: CS Flywheel  (Read 9877 times)

brainshbsuk

• View Profile
CS Flywheel
« on: April 10, 2008, 12:22:44 PM »
Hi forum,
Can any one help? I need to get hold of a replacement flywheel for my CS 6/1 Idealy the solid type with pully grooves !! On the 1st run up of my fully rebuild engine the gib key sliped & cracked the centre boss & I think it is beyond economical repair. :(
Cheers
Brian..

Stan

Re: CS Flywheel
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 04:04:03 PM »
That's too bad.  Economics has nothing to do with it though, no matter how much money you can throw at a cracked flywheel, you can't fix it so it's safe.  Cast iron flexes while it's spinning and the forces involved are immense.  You don't want to risk 275 lbs worth of cast iron pieces flying off into your neighbours home (or your own for that matter).

Think of it this way.  The hammer throw at the olympics has big strong people spinning around a hammer that weighs (?) lbs, consider how far they go!  Imagine a 275 lb hammer going what, 60 mph?.  Not a pretty picture.
Stan

MeanListerGreen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 12:50:57 AM »
Brian

I don't know where you are from, but if you are in the U.K. there is a Yahoo group that has a very strong U.K. following and I thin you may have more luck there.  Here is the link : http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/Lister_CSOG/
MLG Gib Key Pullers

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 07:18:46 AM »
Hi forum,
Can any one help? I need to get hold of a replacement flywheel for my CS 6/1 Idealy the solid type with pully grooves !! On the 1st run up of my fully rebuild engine the gib key sliped & cracked the centre boss & I think it is beyond economical repair. :(
Cheers
Brian..

Take it to a foundry, have them use it as a mold for a new one ?  Melt it & repour ?

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2008, 08:51:48 PM »
Find a steel plate shop and ask for 25 inch by 2 or 3 inch disk and have it bushed for an SK, machined and v belt grooved.

All your ducks lined up.....
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2008, 02:25:04 AM »
Contact the people on eBay.UK that have sold a bunch and see if they have any extra parts they could list for "Buy It Now"?  Like stuckinmuck (close).

Low Gear
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

contaucreek

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2008, 11:13:06 PM »
Doug, very good answer IMO.I work in a steel profile cutting shop. You can have a pair of flywheels custom cut and can even put your own unique spoke design in them but you should strive to have them come out to the same weight as the originals.
L.E.F. Dip #1 Threadstopper Extraordinaire

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2008, 11:46:55 PM »
I'm intrigued by the make new ones approach.

Do either of you have a realistic price what it would cost for:
     1)   The raw matericals - 300 pounds of steel.
     B)   Rough cutting.
     5)   Machining and balancing.

Curious in Hawaii.

Low Gear
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2008, 01:00:19 AM »
LowGear and :

I never realy gave too much additional thought to this....

I need a 13 by 2 or 3 inch disk for my ST head when I get around to get backing to it....

Interesting idea contaucreek getting the plate shop to cut some of the dead weight from the iner area ( 3 or 4 smaller holes ) to keep the weight at the rim where its needed.

A while back we had a thread where we discussed building a roid from modern parts. Up untill now no one realy picked up on the idea of making a larger heavier fly wheel. But since steel is stronger the rim speed issue is less so a larger diamter could be used for more intertia. Combined with more mass this could yield a wheel like a SOM.

No idea what it would cost....

Seems to me the smart thing to do would be buy a kit less fly wheels out both wheels on one side and the big disk on the other.
That may be more than the TRBs or crank can handle, not sure.....
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

adhall

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2008, 03:35:10 AM »
Doug:

I got an 14" diameter by 3" thick piece of steel free for the asking. It was laying on the ground behind the weld shop at a company I used to work for (its twin brother is still there). This piece is called a "burn out" and is what drops out of a round hole after the flame cutter finishes the cut. The only down side is that it has a relatively hard "skin" on it from the flame cutting and there is a short radial slot cut into the edge where the cut begins. If you can find a place that makes heavy steel fabrications, you might be able find some of these.

Best regards,
Andy Hall
JKSon 6/1, 5 kW ST Head, 1992 Dodge RAM Cummins 5.9L Turbodiesel, 2001 VW TDI 1.9L Turbodiesel, 2006 Jeep CRD Turbodiesel, Yanmar FX22D Diesel Tractor

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2008, 12:38:09 PM »
Here is an excellent .pdf paper prepared for the insurance industry about flywheel explosions.  On page 22, it is determined that a flywheel fabricated from 60,000 PSI steel  is safely run at 1.9X the rim speed of cast iron wheels.  Worth a read!

http://www.rustyiron.com/literature/Flywheel_Explosions.pdf
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dual  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

rbodell

• View Profile
    • Life after retirement
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2008, 06:05:10 PM »
Here is an excellent .pdf paper prepared for the insurance industry about flywheel explosions.  On page 22, it is determined that a flywheel fabricated from 60,000 PSI steel  is safely run at 1.9X the rim speed of cast iron wheels.  Worth a read!

http://www.rustyiron.com/literature/Flywheel_Explosions.pdf

I wonder what they would say today if you tried to get flywheel insurance LOL.

I didn't notice any date on that, but I imagine it is early 1900's. asuming that Indian technology is up to early 1900's technology, these engines apear to be well within the safety range mjentioned in it. I beleive there was only one cracked flywheel mentioned here although that is way too close for me, as long as the rpm is down to proper levels, it appears these engines are probably as safe as possible ... considering.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 06:29:55 AM by rbodell »
The shear depth of my shallowness is perplexing yet morbidly interesting. Bob 2007

lendusaquid

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2008, 12:25:25 AM »
I was at Stuckinmuck's yard a few months ago and picked up a flywheel for a few quid.Send him an email,he finds loads of stuff.

contaucreek

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2008, 11:04:54 PM »
You would be charged according to th material used ie 27" dia would be charged for a 27x27. You could theoretically design any flywheel cutout you would want as most shops do the cut path on a computer. Think something like an "L" or a "3/1", the skys the limit. Over on Smokstak I am building a replica ford engine and am thinking about the ford corporate logo in my flywheel.If I remember I will get a price but for example we pay about 70 cents a pound for plate so 3 x 27 x 27 x .283 = pounds so even before a mark up for profit you are into big bucks, dont forget machining and balancing... Sorry, we all know where the steels been going....PS-i dont work in the  sales so my pricing might not be very close. Hope this helps,  Paul.

contaucreek

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2008, 12:37:37 AM »
Actually my pricing was about spot on as the sales dept told me a 3' 27 dia would be about 450 bucks cdn.Generally we try not to blow and cut holes in a piece that are any smaller than the thickness of the plate so for example a 3" plate you would probably want to have the center hole located and drilled, bored and broached all in one set up at a machine shop rather than try to blow the pilot hole with the burning machine.Any further questions just shoot away, glad I can make some input!!