Author Topic: Power Anand (powerline) or JKSON or ?  (Read 6409 times)

Craig

• View Profile
Power Anand (powerline) or JKSON or ?
« on: April 10, 2008, 03:10:38 AM »
Anyone care to share a brand preference?  I keep reading everything I can find about all types of Listeroids.  It seems like sand is a given no matter what brand you buy.  It seems like build quality is hit or miss no matter what brand you buy, and balance /machining / casting problems (voids) seems to be universal as well.  So if you were shopping for a Listeroid, what brand would you be after?  I will only buy from someone who stocks spares and stands behind their products, so consider that a constant.

Thanks for any advice / opinions.

-Craig

Apologies for the double post

GIZMOS

• View Profile
Re: Power Anand (powerline) or JKSON or ?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 11:13:25 PM »

So what did you finally decide on?

A client sent his uncle to pick up an order and he noticed my Listeroid and a Genuine Lister at the rear
of the warehouse.  He told me that as a young boy -n the 1930s hisd father bought a new Lister
Startomatic and another to drive the shearing shed. It was surprising to hear that they ran the engines
by hand over and over then drain the oil and lcean out the sludge each time before actually running them
on diesel. So sand is not just the Indian QC issue.

Each summer holiday the kids would swap notes - yes you guessed it they were cleaning out sump 1 and
sump 2 in their Dads Lister. Maybe the Indians see no need to reduce the sand level when the genuine Lister
while it obviously had superior metail and castings still had sand issues.

I need to sit down with this man and get some more yarns about the genuine Listers.

Happy Listeroiding.

Stephen Hutson
Gizmos T/As OZListeroids.
AUSTRALIA
Stephen Hutson
Gizmos T/As OzListeroids
Coffs Harbour NSW Australia

JKSon Cs10/1 with ST-5 Off Grid Power Generation
Lister Fr2-16HP with 3" Harland Centrifugal Pump - Irrigation
Listeroid Addict

Stan

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 02:16:38 AM »
Once you've looked at the quality of the parts in a real lister 6/1 and compared them to the Indian parts you'll have trouble believing that any Listers left the Dursley plant with sand in them.  Do a search for the posting a couple of years ago with the pics of the Indian casting guys pouring metal into the "dirt" with bare feet.  ???
Stan

panaceabeachbum

• View Profile
    • Thompson Machine
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 03:38:03 AM »
Having a bit of IC engine exp I would bet he was refering to the regular process of scraping sludge and junk (mostly parrifin and carbon) out of the sump, with the oil avail up until the past 40 years this was a common occurence every 2-3 oil changes

GIZMOS

• View Profile
CLEANING LISTER ENGINES
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 11:30:30 PM »

I clarified my earlier posting with the source - the person reiterated they had to clean out brand new Listers
engines before firing them up - but it did not involve disassembly. He said it was mainly metal dust presumably
from the inside of the castings - after the initial clean out it remained relatively clean. I showed him pictures of
some of the faults that had occurred in the Listeroids and he said the quality of the old Listers 3/1 5/1 and 6/1
was much high and they ran like heartbeats. He thought that the Lister Startomatics cost about the same as a
small english car of the day only harder to maneouvre or relocate.

He also confirmed what you suggested - it was a regular school holiday chore to clean out the sumps with
a wire mop brush and pieces of cloth to remove sludge. He said the original Listers carboned up because they were
either not working hard enough or the fuel was poor - some diesel fuels he has seen as a kid were thicker and more
blackish in appearance.

Spare parts he said were very expensive but the engines were a necessity to obtain power on homesteads and farms in remote areas.

I am told that Australia was one of the major market for these engines - in fact I am going to look at a shed full of them next week
most of them working owned by another clients grandfather who lovingly restored them. We are talking big numbers of
engines - see people were obsessed by the original - perhaps George B is right it is about the lure of the speed and sound of these
engines forming a bond. My partner Karen is overwhelmed by the number of people who comment on my engines parked in
the warehosue when they pick up computer parts - it seems most rural people have seen or heard about them. she cannot recall
any of the engines when she was in Oregon USA so obviously there was a well established powergrid unlike Australia in the
pre WW2 years.

I'll take some pics of the collection and post it when I do or email the pics to interested people - I should see if they have
any usable spare parts we can Rockwell test and copy to better understand why the originals were so tough.

Gizmos
Hobbyist, Collector, Off Gridder and Vendor
Stephen Hutson
Gizmos T/As OzListeroids
Coffs Harbour NSW Australia

JKSon Cs10/1 with ST-5 Off Grid Power Generation
Lister Fr2-16HP with 3" Harland Centrifugal Pump - Irrigation
Listeroid Addict

billswan

• View Profile
Re: CLEANING LISTER ENGINES
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 12:45:09 AM »

I'll take some pics of the collection and post it when I do or email the pics to interested people -

Gizmos
Hobbyist, Collector, Off Gridder and Vendor

YES please post pictures of the collection ;D ;D ;D

Billswan
16/1 Metro  in the harness choking on WMO ash!!

10/1 OMEGA failed that nasty WMO ash ate it

By the way what is your cylinder index?

apogee_man

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2009, 04:12:11 AM »
I KNEW there was a reason that I've wanted to move to Australia all these years...

Just didn't know what it was...

Lots of real Listers, beautiful women with sexy accents who sun topless, and the attitudes of the Wild West that used to exist in America.... 

Now THAT is what I'm talking about!

:)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 04:14:16 AM by apogee_man »