Author Topic: Listeroid parts still being imported?  (Read 6176 times)

rufusbooth

• View Profile
Listeroid parts still being imported?
« on: July 14, 2009, 05:26:53 PM »
I might be a day late and a dollar short here but I am hoping someone here might be able to point me in the direction of a dealer still importing listeroid parts.  I would prefer someone on the wast cost to cut down on shipping costs if possible (I can drive quite a distance) but not necessary.

I have a 6/1 that I am attempting to resurrect.   Basically the whole kit was dropped and took out the crank case and crank.  That being the case I am looking for a short block.  Is such a beast still available?

Cheers!

Rufus

billswan

• View Profile
Re: Listeroid parts still being imported?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 06:02:08 PM »
welcome to the forum

Crankcase? wow never seen one listed in anyones parts lists

Good luck someone will be along shortly with an address.

billswan
16/1 Metro  in the harness choking on WMO ash!!

10/1 OMEGA failed that nasty WMO ash ate it

By the way what is your cylinder index?

rufusbooth

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 06:16:03 PM »
yep, cracked the bottom corner off the crankcase (quarter sized hole and missing mount) and bent the crank shaft.  sad day when I found this beast  :-(  the thing must have fallen from a great height or hit just the wrong way.

rufusbooth

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 06:27:26 PM »

Crankcase? wow never seen one listed in anyones parts lists

Exactly why I was asking.  My guess is the only way to get one is if someone can get a short block past the EPA as a part.

Thanks for the welcome Billswan!

Irish Artist

• View Profile
    • murphyillustrates.com
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 06:46:03 PM »
Rufusbooth,

If you still have the the pieces, grind out the cracks and welder 'er back together. There's nothing critical going on with the bottom of the crankcase, just has to hold oil! the most critical thing would be to make sure the mount is in line with the others. (EDIT) Ohh, I just saw that your MISSING the Mount! Rough!, well, still might be able to cobble something together to patch 'er up.

Now the crank in another matter you'll have to replace that, but they are available.

As for dealers that I know of, there is:

Central Maine http://www.generatorsales.com/order/lister-engines.asp

DES: http://www.diesel-electric.us/

Metro: http://www.metropwr.com/index.html

Belleghuan Ltd: http://www.woodnstuff.ca/

You could check with George at http://www.utterpower.com He has some parts still in stock, he's on the west coast.

These are the ones I'm aware of, I'll bet there are more.

I gotta stop looking at this forum and get some work done!

Later,
Murph'
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 06:49:30 PM by Irish Artist »
PS 6/1 • PowerMac G5 Quad • An Electric Pencil Sharpener • 10 foot Trebuchet • Woodford Reserve & A Fine Cigar, life is good!  8)

rufusbooth

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 07:02:24 PM »
Thanks for the info Murph', I had considered trying to weld up the case but I am seeing signs that where the missing part is located I am seeing about 7 "rusty" lines radiating out where I ground around the hole to clean it up  This tells me that there are cracks radiating out from the impact that have taken in water and rusted. that relay tells me that it is not something that I could repair with confidence.  Too many chances for those cracks to spread even if I did drill stop them.

This will be the sole power source for an off grid cabin at the 7000 foot level so this needs to be dead reliable.  Seeing those cracks pretty much signed the crankcases death sentence. :-(

Thanks for the links and I will start asking around at those locations.

Cheers,

Rufus
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 07:45:49 PM by rufusbooth »

oliver90owner

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 09:09:15 PM »
Rufus,

Hello and welcome to the forum.

There must be a scrap Lister out there somewhere. 

Just need time for one to come up.  Left outside,... head off,.... seized solid ....after the big end failed and it was thought not worth recovering.  Or someone has made one good engine from two bad ones....

They are probably relatively plentiful in the UK, but it is that shipping cost that kills it all the time.

Seems like your enemy is time, and probably that law which says when you have bought expensive, one will show up for free, straight away afterwards.

What is your time scale?

Scour through all the collectors and magazines/web sites and ask, ask, ask.  Look at engine sales and hope there is a 'scrap' engine going for little over melting value.

If you have electric flywheels and find one with the same, those will be of considerable value to someone on this site, for sure (given location).

Good luck in your hunt.

Regards, RAB

apogee_man

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 05:57:31 PM »
Rufus,

I'd magnaflux the block to figure out where the cracks are, then drill the ends of them and braze or weld (using rod for cast iron) everything up.

Magna makes excellent rod for what you want to do.

I do agree with Murph that I think it would be just fine.

Just my #.02.

Steve

rufusbooth

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2009, 04:35:26 AM »
Steve, you and I are on the same wavelength.

I got a magneflux kit and found that the starting side flywheel has a crack in one of the spokes.  it got hit as well and that flywheel wont hunt.  No way would I put a cracked flywheel into service.  way too dangerous.  I love me and my family, and my neighbors down the block 100 yards away.

in addition I striped back the paint in the crank case and there are 2 cracks that have managed to self terminate in the crankshaft bearing support.  the crack runs from the case at the bottom all the way up the the bearing race in the crankcase.  I can see fixing up these cracks but one that already intersects the crank support bearing is just asking for trouble.

This thing might just be  scrap... :-(  I really need to track down a short block.

Cheers

Rufus

Irish Artist

• View Profile
    • murphyillustrates.com
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2009, 05:49:09 AM »
Hey Rufus,

Sounding to me like the ole' girl would be great for upper end spare parts. I think your search for a good short block is gonna be fruitless, sorry to say. :'(  It's just too easy to get the upper end parts and make a running engine if you have a good block to start with.

You should consider biting the bullet and get your hands on a whole engine to start with.

But if your in no hurry, continue on, you might get lucky. Will keep your needs in mind.

Murph'
PS 6/1 • PowerMac G5 Quad • An Electric Pencil Sharpener • 10 foot Trebuchet • Woodford Reserve & A Fine Cigar, life is good!  8)