Author Topic: Mcgyan Reaction  (Read 7924 times)

captfred

• View Profile
Mcgyan Reaction
« on: April 05, 2008, 10:27:50 AM »
While looking for info on distilling methanol (still can't get a supply here on island) found a link to the Mcgyan reactor process.

http://www.biodieselnow.com/blogs/methods/archive/2008/03/11/the-mcgyan-process.aspx

Anyone heard anything about this?  Processing without Methanol would be great.

Cheers, Fred

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
Re: Mcgyan Reaction
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2008, 05:48:05 PM »
I'm a little confused by the 100 % conversion and no waste products.

Where does the Glycerol go?

On a side note, a Biotech company ( lost link ) recently anounced a new bug developed specificaly for converting raw Glycerol into Ethanol. 

This could be a real beginning
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

lowspeedlife

• old iron for a new age
  • no i'm not no cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 01:16:55 PM »
 The article says that the catalyst "dehydrates the glycerin into other chemicals that act as additives to improve the quality of the resulting biodiesel , which increases the amount of biodiesel produced from a pound of vegtable oil" It also says that the methanol turns into dyethl ether (starting fluid) that they can sell for $6.00 a pound, & that they did not have to get any premit because they emit nothing that they see as an issue. Sounds as if it is the magic wand of bio diesel. better invest now, me thinks!                              Scott r.
Scott R.

5.7 liter diesel k-5 blazer. converting to wvo.
omega 20/2 listeroid

lowspeedlife

• old iron for a new age
  • no i'm not no cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2008, 01:48:26 PM »
It also says that they can use alge instead of corn in the process so it takes food stocks out of the process. Capt Fred it seems that methanol is still used in the process & that the first working operation was set up on a desk top, that is is not a batch process but a continuous process. the only real down side seems to be the high heat involved. still that can be overcome.
                    scott r.
Scott R.

5.7 liter diesel k-5 blazer. converting to wvo.
omega 20/2 listeroid

biobill

• 'riods make good houseguests if fed right
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 02:24:03 PM »
 Captfred,
   Is Ethanol more readily available to you?  I've never used it but understand that you can substitute it for methanol at 30% rather than the~20% used for meth.  Needs to be anhydrous - 200proof. Much easier to produce on a small scale I'd think, and, if there's ever a rum shortage......          Bill
Off grid since 1990
6/1 Metro DI living in basement, cogen
6/1 Metro IDI running barn & biodiesel processer
VW 1.6 diesels all over the place
Isuzu Boxtruck, Ford Backhoe, all running on biodiesel
Needs diesel lawnmower & chainsaw

captfred

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 09:38:26 PM »
Just waiting for experimental fuel permit before lighting off the still.

Cassava (tapioca) is readily available and easy to grow for a feedstock, also breadfruit and sugarcane are locally available.  Working out the bugs running the MBU stove for a heat source - seems to be a bit fussy on what kind of diesel you feed it.  I need to set up a duel fuel system to burn wvo to keep costs of fuel production down.

My friend just picked up a 55gal drum of methanol and 40# of KOH (with the humidity probably no good, we'll have to see) , building an appleseed processor to make some proper biodiesel. Flying to Honolulu and Seattle next week, will pick-up the bits and pieces for the processor on the mainland - try to get things running in july.

Will definately have to try ethanol - after we figure out what we're doing - both the distilling the ethanol and processing biodiesel.

Also should be able to use the still to recover methanol from the leftover glycerol -just another thing to keep one entertained - If it doesn't workout, yep there's always rum ('course tanduay is only a buck a bottle in the Philippines) ;D

Cheers, Fred

mkdutchman

• mkdutchman at gmail dot com
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 09:52:26 PM »
Also should be able to use the still to recover methanol from the leftover glycerol -just another thing to keep one entertained - If it doesn't workout, yep there's always rum ('course tanduay is only a buck a bottle in the Philippines) ;D

Cheers, Fred

Just FWIW there is a difference between ethanol and methanol, the biggest difference being that ethanol makes you high, and methanol makes you high and then kills you. In many places they add methanol to ethanol to make it unfit for human consumption in order to get away from the taxes they would otherwise have to pay. (As ethanol is what's in alcoholic beverages)

captfred

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2008, 10:47:37 PM »
The original intention of the still is to produce ethanol for "experimental" fuel (ATF requires all ethanol produced for experimental fuel be denatured) in our case the intention is to denature with RUG to create E85 for vehicle fuel.

At the beginning of the distillation process the "head" contains methanol which is why distillers usually dispose of this at the beginning of the distillation process.

We're using Sterlco 56T adjustable temperature control valves that allow for both ethanol production and - in theory - methanol recovery (at different times of course)

No intention of 'stillin' rum - darn revenoorers don't take too kindly to that. ;D (and a bottle of tanduay in the PI is only a buck)

Lots of variables here; don't know if any of it will work or if it will be worth the time or  cost.  Best case scenario - ethanol production for fuel and maybe  biodiesel production - worst case scenario I've a bitchin', steampunk water distiller.  ::)

Cheers, Fred

mkdutchman

• mkdutchman at gmail dot com
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008, 12:15:39 PM »
Keep us posted, I did have something like this in mind some time ago but never got around to it. I would really like to see how you make out