Puppeteer

Author Topic: Think i need some rebar to hold this bugger down!  (Read 5653 times)

sb118

• Biofuel Bandit
    • View Profile
Think i need some rebar to hold this bugger down!
« on: March 09, 2006, 05:31:59 PM »
I don't think sand & cement can handle the "delicate" nature of the power output of Dave. The pillars have had the "hammer & boot" test to be sure they are secure.

This is after a 10 second run .....

Think i'm going to be recementing it and drilling in a few lengths of threadbar. Gah, nearly there :)

Need to consider sorting the exhaust too ...

First love - 1975 Lister SR1, gone to a better place (running a saw bench actually ;))

True love - unknown vintage CS6/1 with SOM flywheels

linkie to the project so far --- http://jestersltd.com/pics/index.php

Lister owners do it at 650 strokes a minute ;)

GuyFawkes

• View Profile
    • stuff
Re: Think i need some rebar to hold this bugger down!
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2006, 06:18:59 PM »
breeze block fractures real easy

throw them away, make wooden boxes, fill with steel mesh, make sure base of mesh is attached to the ground via sturdy rawlbolts, fill boxes with cement, agitate, and leave to set, skim plaster over new pillars, leave to set, paint with enamel paint which cracks at very little movement.

piles of bricks or blocks are NEVER recommended for machinery mounts.
--
Original Lister CS 6/1 Start-o-matic 2.5 Kw (radiator conversion)
3Kw 130 VDC Dynamo to be added. (compressor + hyd pump)
Original Lister D, megasquirt multifuel project, compressor and truck alternator.
Current status - project / standby, Fuel, good old pump diesel.

sb118

• Biofuel Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2006, 06:28:03 PM »
Bugger, oh well, it's a lesson i've learnt i suppose. At least now the engine is in place i can just jack it up and put a frame under it so i can work (bit tight on space!)
First love - 1975 Lister SR1, gone to a better place (running a saw bench actually ;))

True love - unknown vintage CS6/1 with SOM flywheels

linkie to the project so far --- http://jestersltd.com/pics/index.php

Lister owners do it at 650 strokes a minute ;)

WWIProps

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2006, 12:17:35 AM »
Throw out the mounting bolts from India ( I broke three of them) and get some of the biggest J-bolts can you find to hold this thing down.

Halfnuts

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2006, 01:20:40 AM »
Um . . . if you look at the pic, that ain't no Injun 'roid.  That's the real deal.

Mr Lister

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2006, 07:16:10 PM »
May I suggest you get some cheap ply or OSB shuttering.

Make up a box 2 feet x 4 feet x 2 feet deep and fill it with concrete - dont forget the threaded rod engine mounts!

That will hold any Lister down, and if you sell your house, the new owner will love you for it. ;-)

Ken

Mr X

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2006, 12:36:01 AM »
I mounted my roid in a corner of my shop and then built walls around it thinking it was fairly quiet and I could live with a little noise. Ha the noise is just enough to drive u a little nuts after several hours. The other day I walked around listening with a broom stick and the thunkin that comes through the concrete is incredable. So If  you read on this forum about noise and concrete believe it. Well I aint hooped yet I can move Mr Roid over 2 feet and pore its own pad and hopfully semie quiet. More work

Greg
6/1 PS Jkson soon to run WVO,  3 hp Petter, 3 Honda 5 hp, 1 weed eater, Live off grid, Now a dog farmer