Author Topic: Lister CS New or Pattern Cylinder Blocks  (Read 5393 times)

listerdiesel

Lister CS New or Pattern Cylinder Blocks
« on: March 25, 2008, 11:59:14 AM »
I've been looking for something on cylinder blocks for a while, I can remember reading the article but couldn't remember where I had seen it (as you do)

Found it today, it was a bit on engines in the middle east, and what appeared to be genuine Lister engines turned out to be copies.

David Harris explained:

The 8/1 blocks were cast with clearances for the long through studs to save time on drilling right through the block, and the side covers and gaskets were replaced by core holes and plugs. The change-over valve was deleted for the 8/1 as well.

So, if you come across an engine with exposed cylinder studs AND side plates on the block, it is a fake. As would be an 8/1 with a change-over valve.

Simple as that!

Peter

rleonard

• Mattoon, Illinois
    • View Profile
Re: Lister CS New or Pattern Cylinder Blocks
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 02:07:48 PM »
Hello Peter,
I am somewhat puzzled by your post.  I have a genuine Lister 16-2 and indeed it has the exposed cylinder tie rods as you described.  There is no change over valve either.  The cylinders do have side plates and they have a series of studs and nuts clamping the covers down. 

I would post photos, but Photobucket is down. 

Did I misunderstand something there?

Bob
Faster - Better - Cheaper  You can have any two, but not all three

Quinnf

• Rest in peace
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 03:20:41 PM »
David Edgington addressed this in his book as well, which, by the bye, is well worth having.
http://utterpower.com/lister_cs_story.htm

As Peter says, the change was made (in the early 1950s, if I recall correctly) as a cost-cutting measure.  At that time the 8/1 (and presumably, the 16/2) eliminated the COV and replaced it with the plug. 

Quinn

Ashwamegh 6/1, PowerSolutions 6/1 "Kit" engine, and a Changfa R175a that looks like a Yanmar I once knew

listerdiesel

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 07:13:31 PM »
Hello Peter,
I am somewhat puzzled by your post.  I have a genuine Lister 16-2 and indeed it has the exposed cylinder tie rods as you described.  There is no change over valve either.  The cylinders do have side plates and they have a series of studs and nuts clamping the covers down. 
I would post photos, but Photobucket is down. 
Did I misunderstand something there?
Bob

No, the article was in Stationary Engine Magazine in 1988, and I have also spoken with David aboiut this directly.

As far as we are aware, NO lister blocks should exist with side covers AND exposed block studs.

I'm just looking for the picture I posted a couple of years ago that had the production line at Cinderford in it.

Peter

listerdiesel

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 07:18:46 PM »
---and here's the lie to that story:

http://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel/Misc/ListerCinderford.jpg

Showing quite clearly the blocks with clearnce cast in and the side plates bolted on.

I'll speak with David again and see what he has to say.

Peter

listerdiesel

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 07:46:15 PM »
Had a long chat with David, who has an excellent memory, and he mentioned that there must have been a transition period between the early block and later block, with the hybrid type coming out for a short while.

He still visits the core shop foreman who lives locally, and it was this man apparently that suggested making the change to the casting.

So as far as I can see, the story is only half-true, but interesting nonetheless.

The article I referred to is in Stationary Engine magazine for May 1998, part of David Edgington's monthly "Engine Torgue" feature.

Peter

scotty2611

• Scotty
    • View Profile
    • Historic Engine
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 08:05:55 AM »
I have and sell Davids book here in Australia, Its a  great book, well worth a read

Scott
Historic Engine & Tractor Spares
Tasmania Australia
Australian Home Of The Listeroid
www.historicengine.com.au
scotty1@bigpond.net.au