Puppeteer

Author Topic: Direct coupled DC startomatic  (Read 3199 times)

snail

• View Profile
Direct coupled DC startomatic
« on: April 25, 2008, 06:04:20 AM »
Found this today, more background information.Very good quality video.

http://electricalmuseum.org/d1/3/3.php

Apologies if this is old news.

Cheers,

Brian

lowspeedlife

• old iron for a new age
  • no i'm not no cowboy
    • View Profile
Re: Direct coupled DC startomatic
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2008, 04:32:27 PM »
very interesting, i havn't seen this before. looks like it would work very well with an ac/dc inverter system  & some solar panels maybe??
                                    good luck with it, Scott R.
Scott R.

5.7 liter diesel k-5 blazer. converting to wvo.
omega 20/2 listeroid

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
Re: Direct coupled DC startomatic
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2008, 05:07:38 PM »
Before this set was built a machine called a syncronous converter was a common way of making AC from DC.

They went out of favour with the development of the mercury arc rectifier and later solid state electronics but they held in theer for a littl why because more military aplications they were easy to service and were radiation EMP safe.

The Newyork city subway system still uses them in some places because they work well enough to justify the higher cost of maintinance.

All that dribble said it wouldn't be hard to build a SOM that could charge batteries and run direct AC loads of a higher rating that the SOM could normaly carry ( by converting stored DC to AC from the battery bank  to help the SOM ).

No one builds such a machine any more ( well not quite true I fairly sure there is a Company in France but I haven't been able to pin them down )

In the long run I can see a lot of people doing this type of convertion if large DC machines that will produce 2.5 kw of 120 vdc at 650 rpm can be had at reasonable cost
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken