Puppeteer

Author Topic: Will Fatty wagon heaters get too hot without shutoff?  (Read 6394 times)

greasy_burger

• Southern NH Biodiesel master
    • View Profile
Will Fatty wagon heaters get too hot without shutoff?
« on: March 20, 2008, 11:05:45 PM »
I just ordered some fattywagon injection line heaters for the fuel line to the injector and am wondering does it need to be thermostatically controlled somehow or can it just run full power? I am very close to setting up my veggie system just wanted some heat preinjector.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 03:39:53 PM by greasy_burger »
Passat tdi with greasecar kit,Vegtherm and Fphe
Excursion Diesel
Beckett Afg Fha
Metro 6/1 with 4k indians head
All burning Wvo or Homebrewed Biodiesel

mjn

• View Profile
    • My Changfa Generator Project
Re: Will Fatty wagon heaters get too hot without shutoff?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 06:04:09 PM »
There is no need to put a thermostat on your fattywagons heater.  As long as you are running fuel through the line, the heater won't get too hot.  When I first installed my heater, I could only get 65ºC at the injector, so I added insulation to keep the heat loss to a minimum.

On my Changfa,  I'm powering my fattywagons heater it with unregulated a/c (~16vac) from the battery charging alternator. I am getting from 80º to 100ºC at the injector depending upon the load. 

On my Metro Listeroid, my Fattywagons heater is powered by regulated 14 VDC, and I am seeing at most 80ºC at the injector.  I also insulate the injector line to keep heat loss to a minimum.
Changfa 195 7.5 kw ST.  WVO conversion http://martin.nile.googlepages.com/
Metro 6/1 DI Listeroid. Pumping water for fire control.
1933 Stover CT-1 hit and miss
1936 Farmall F-12 -- unrestored, still used to mow the field

captfred

• View Profile
Re: Will Fatty wagon heaters get too hot without shutoff?
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 10:22:28 PM »
Good Stuff - Heats up quickly, insulated injector lines is a must, I'm thinking of adding injector line heaters as well.

Cheers, Fred