Author Topic: Pics of your veggie fueled listeroid  (Read 26013 times)

taeuber

• View Profile
    • Coppermine gallery
Re: Pics of your veggie fueled listeroid
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2008, 05:22:52 PM »
Hi Biobill,

I' try my best to explain our situation in english.

The money we get depends on the fuel that is used to produce the electricity.
We get small money when the engine is run on normal mineral diesel and a bit more using renewable sources like SVO. And we get even more if the electricity source is a BHKW (see below).
The money is still very few but I think this will change in the future.

The stop system I'm looking for is not to cut of the whole system from the grid, there is an electronic device with large switchable fuses (motor protecting switches) that does this. But my Listeroid has to be stopped too. Therefore I need a simple solution to shutoff the listeroid on grid failure. Otherwise the engines rpms would go up to max with no load at all.

There is no inverter on the generator. The generator is simple an asynchronous working motor. It could be used as a starter for listeroid too. When the engine speed has reached grid frequency we give max power to the listeroid and it tries to raise the speed further. Now the motor has become a generator.

For this setup it is important to have the engine and the generator at about the same power. If the engine has more power than the generator can sent into the grid the engine will run away and the setup gets blown up.

The other way round isn't as dangerous as the previous. The generator will simply be less efficient.

For the usage as an island system I want to put a synchronous generator next to the listeroid and I change the belt from the asynchronous to the synchronous generator.

The setup then looks like this:

synch.Gen====belt====Listeroid    belt    asynch.Gen

This all is theroretical only, because I don't have much spare time at the moment. But I already own a 12/2 listeroid and a 5/1 Lister with defective head, a STC5 and 4.4kw asynch. generator.

What is missing is the basement and the engine shed.

The main reason for this setup is the usage as a BHKW (BlockHeizKraftWerk). This means the heat produced by the engine is used as source for heating a building. I own a small house since two years and the setup is planned to be the main heating source run on SVO or WVO. The electricity is more or less a byproduct.

I hope you can understand this kind of english.

Lars

biobill

• 'riods make good houseguests if fed right
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2008, 07:19:13 PM »
Danke Lars,
  Your english is better than most on this forum ;D

Some discussion on solenoids here http://listerengine.com/smf/index.php?topic=2984.0

Good Luck,  Bill
Off grid since 1990
6/1 Metro DI living in basement, cogen
6/1 Metro IDI running barn & biodiesel processer
VW 1.6 diesels all over the place
Isuzu Boxtruck, Ford Backhoe, all running on biodiesel
Needs diesel lawnmower & chainsaw

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2008, 10:46:23 PM »
I resemble that remark
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

taeuber

• View Profile
    • Coppermine gallery
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2008, 08:29:02 AM »
Thanks Guys,

I'll have a look at this thread.

Thanks
Lars

captfred

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2008, 08:47:07 AM »
Running mine on a duel fuel setup,start on dino run on wvo; something like this.

Works Well. Fred

greasy_burger

• Southern NH Biodiesel master
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2008, 08:07:06 PM »
Does anyone know where I can get a good second fuel tank? I would make something but am very limited with what I have and the tools to manufacturer something, also would a furnace filter housing be ok for the veggie filter? like this http://www.acehardwaresuperstore.com/unifilter-fuel-oil-filter-housing-p-26321.html?ref=42 I have a brand new one and filter media is cheap.
Passat tdi with greasecar kit,Vegtherm and Fphe
Excursion Diesel
Beckett Afg Fha
Metro 6/1 with 4k indians head
All burning Wvo or Homebrewed Biodiesel

captfred

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2008, 08:17:49 PM »
try west marine  www.westmarine.com for a fuel tank - the plastic outboard tanks work well -

don't see any reason why the filter won't work.

Fred

rbodell

• View Profile
    • Life after retirement
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2008, 09:30:06 PM »
Does anyone know where I can get a good second fuel tank?

Where I live I get a 15 gallon oil drum for about 10 bucks like new. No rust. I use the lister tank as the secondary tank (has it's own shutoff). I feed the 15 gallon drum with a shutoff to a T in the fuel line between the lister fuel tank and the lister fuel filter.

It holds about 12 gallons or so on it's side. The two bungs are regular pipe thread. Lasts me almost all week.

put a 45 in the big bung with a short nipple and cap. Don't forget a vent hole in the cap.
The shear depth of my shallowness is perplexing yet morbidly interesting. Bob 2007

Shadow

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2008, 04:13:24 AM »
Does anyone know where I can get a good second fuel tank? I would make something but am very limited with what I have and the tools to manufacturer something, also would a furnace filter housing be ok for the veggie filter? like this http://www.acehardwaresuperstore.com/unifilter-fuel-oil-filter-housing-p-26321.html?ref=42 I have a brand new one and filter media is cheap.

Thats the filter I've been using, never sure of what Micron they are but they seem to work and inexpensive to replace. I used a 10 gal hot water heater for second fuel tank.

greasy_burger

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2008, 08:11:09 PM »
Well I installed the fattywagon nichrome wire to the injector line and some heat tape to preinjector pump, the injector area is too hot to touch so I would say maybe 200+ degrees and powered from an atx power supply and it's been running veggie all afternoon, no smoke and smells even better than my homebrwed bio just like my car:)
Excursion Diesel
Beckett Afg Fha

rbodell

• View Profile
    • Life after retirement
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2008, 12:06:39 AM »

Thats the filter I've been using, never sure of what Micron they are but they seem to work and inexpensive to replace. I used a 10 gal hot water heater for second fuel tank.

They are a little cheaper here. Of course if you live near an ace hardware, shipping would kill the difference, but if you have to order it, it's worth looking into.
http://www.hometownstores.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=8621
The shear depth of my shallowness is perplexing yet morbidly interesting. Bob 2007

rbodell

• View Profile
    • Life after retirement
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2008, 12:12:36 AM »
Here is another filter they have. Look for 40704 and refill 40705
http://www.hometownstores.com/SearchResult.aspx?KeyWords=40704

greasy_burger

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2008, 06:57:20 PM »
I am actually using one in front of the existing filter, limited selection of fitting at home crapo required plubing it through the existing filter, when I replace the oem filter i will reroute things and use one for veggie and one for biodiesel.
Excursion Diesel
Beckett Afg Fha

jtodd

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2008, 05:20:59 AM »
Hi Shadow,

Thank you for the info.
But if I understand you right, you are putting power to the solenoid to shut off?
I just wanted the other way round. I'd like to have a solenoid cut from power to shut the engine off. And I don't want an electronic solution, just as simple as yours.

We here in Germany get paid for delivering (green) power into the power supply system. And when the grid goes down the engine has to be stopped automatically.
I just can't find a effordable solenoid that is strong enough for my solution.
Does such a door lock solenoid survive being constantly powered?

Regards
Lars

I possibly have a solution for this, but I haven't tried it in full production yet.

Take a look at some of these pictures:

http://www.loligo.com/lister/pictures/Page1.html

Look at the images labelled "fuel rack shutdown".  I have a diesel fuel rack "puller" 12v solenoid that retracts away from the fuel rack when energized.  It has a small circuit board that controls two electromagnets in the solenoid: one that "pulls" the plunger in with relatively high amperage, and overcomes an extension spring (hidden by rubber billows.)  Then, after a second or so, another electromagnet in the very end of the solenoid turns on (low amperage) and holds the pin in place under tension.  Then the first electromagnet turns off.  This is a low-amperage way of holding the spring.  If power is removed from the system, the holding electromagnet releases, and the spring pushes the plunger back onto the fuel rack.

I don't remember exactly where I got mine, but here is a place to start:

http://www.woodward.com/engine/diesel/diesel2/sol_spsw.cfm

I'd send you a .dxf file of the bracket that I made, but i've just upgrade my machine and my old CAD program is refusing to let me export for some reason... ping me in a week or two and I'll see if I have a copy.

JT

captfred

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2008, 01:43:50 AM »
JT

Took me a while searching  but finally found those excellent pictures of your solenoid shutdown project - just what I want to do with mine.  How is the project progressing?

Cheers, Fred