Puppeteer

Author Topic: STP Oil Treatment/MSDS(material safety data sheet)  (Read 15237 times)

dieseldave

• View Profile
STP Oil Treatment/MSDS(material safety data sheet)
« on: March 01, 2008, 03:26:40 AM »

I was just looking at the MSDS for STP. This is interesting. The MSDS says it contains 1 to 5% ZINC.  I have heard that zinc has lubrication properties :)

I then read the history of the product. Started in 1953 by 3 fellows with $3000 cash outlay.They would package the product at night in a backyard residential garage. In 1961 Studebaker bought STP.In 1968 total sales volume was $43 million!

I am just wondering if our Listeroids would benifit from this product,as they have quite loose tolerances and the oil pumps are not really true pressure lubrication? :-\

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
Re: STP Oil Treatment/MSDS(material safety data sheet)
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 04:13:45 AM »
My Grand father used STP a lot in all his small engines....

It was only later I began to understand STP compensated for his original poor choices in lubricants.

Use good diesel oil from the start and change it often thats all you need to use.....
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

dieseldave

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 05:51:14 PM »

When using alternate fuels,would the zinc not help to keep corrosion down by nuetralizing the acid formations?

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 08:59:23 PM »
No but its very good at reducing the monety in your pockets ( additives in general ).

STP is a good viscosity improver ( increaser ). If you use enough you can thicken any type of lubricant to the point where it will seal up a realy badly worn out engine.

There are some good additives. I understand a lot of people use the GM ESO ( engine oil supliment ) to protect the solid lifter engines that don't like the reduced zinc in todays oils but I think you could manage the same thing with Shell Rotella T.

okiezeke

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 02:33:34 AM »
Doug,
I've ofter wondered if Marvel Mystery Oil was really good for anything.  Any info?

Zeke
Changfa type 25hp with 15kw ST head
Lovson 20-2 in blueprinting/rebuild
International TD-15 B  1962 dozer
Changfa 8 hp., 280 A battery charger

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 03:17:24 AM »
Just second hand some say it does other say it does little for the money.

I use it mixed with gasoline some times as a top oil for my small engines and saws ( my babies I prefer not to destroy but still love to run ).

I think it does something for valve guids and the top of cylinder. I could just as easily use a little 2 cycle oil for the same effect ( 100 - 150 : 1 ) but I have noticed that fouls plugs somewhat he Marvel doesn't and sometimes I think it even cleans if your load is right and the engines are running loaded up.

I think the Marvel oil is some sort of veg based thing ingredient with Caster oil or similar lubricants that just pass threw the engine rather than burn and coke like the cheaper 2 cycle oils.

But never forget I'm and electrician what the hell do I know?

cujet

• Lister power rules!
    • View Profile
    • www.cujet.com
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2008, 11:50:10 AM »
I think the current version of STP does not contain much ZDDP (zinc). Over on bobistheoilguy website, STP has been tested, along with similar products. All of them have reduced or eliminated the ZDDP content to prevent catalyst fouling.

Chris
People who count on their fingers should maintain a discreet silence

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2008, 09:50:57 PM »
Then I guess its just a viscosity improver....

MacGyver

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2008, 10:00:30 PM »
Doug,
I've ofter wondered if Marvel Mystery Oil was really good for anything.  Any info?

Zeke

Well, I'm obviously not Doug, but I know the answer to this one!

IMO, MMO is the best thing in the world for air tool lubricant. Back in the 80's, Snap-On brand air tool oil was repackaged MMO. It's been a while since I've been able to afford Snap-On tools, so I don't know if they still use MMO or not.

I worked for some years for a place that did lots of steel fabrication as well as industrial tool sales and rentals. We were an authorized Ingersol Rand dealer and repair center and what we used and recommended for all our air tools was MMO. It lubricates very well and it helps keep tools free of the gum and varnish that I've seen build up in some air tools that used "other" air tool oils. I've got an Ingersol Rand angle die grinder that I bought in 1981. It's been used and abused more than you can imagine and I've been through easily a thousand 4" cut-off wheels with it. It doesn't get oiled nearly as often as it should (I hate inline oilers), but it's survived for 27 years on a meager diet of MMO. I've never replaced vanes or even had it open yet and I really do use the crap out of it..

That's what MMO is good for. I buy a gallon of it every couple of years.

Steve

Steve

JKson (PS) 6/1 'roid & ST 7.5

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2008, 10:24:01 PM »
I just use Rock drill oil in my air tools, they don't see lot of service and the air in the mine is usualy wet and full of rust. But I've been very lucky no troubles.

However the oil mist is an issue, too bad no one makes an air tool grease  8)

listeroidsusa1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2008, 01:33:27 AM »
MMO is THE oil to run in an air compressor too. Back years ago when I was working in the maintenance dept of a local mill we were having problems with the air compressor valves coking up. We switched to mmo and never had another problem with the compressors in the 10 years I worked there. I also use it in my milling machine. Regular oil gums up the Bijur metering fittings on the automatic lubricator over time. MMO runs clean and works great on the ways.