Puppeteer

Author Topic: drain plug size of a metro 6/1  (Read 3835 times)

greasy_burger

• Southern NH Biodiesel master
    • View Profile
drain plug size of a metro 6/1
« on: March 07, 2008, 11:31:02 PM »
I can see that changing the oil will be a messy one and like many others I want to add a ball valve and elbow, can anyone tell me what size the threads on the block are?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 11:32:59 PM by greasy_burger »
Passat tdi with greasecar kit,Vegtherm and Fphe
Excursion Diesel
Beckett Afg Fha
Metro 6/1 with 4k indians head
All burning Wvo or Homebrewed Biodiesel

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
Re: drain plug size of a metro 6/1
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 12:12:41 AM »
British standard pipe.....

Not comon in the USA.

You can find a BSP to #4 JIC at a hydraulic shop and even have a short hose made that will make draining easier. Most Pipe thread from Japan is BSP so that is another option....
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

rbodell

• View Profile
    • Life after retirement
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 12:39:26 AM »
I can see that changing the oil will be a messy one and like many others I want to add a ball valve and elbow, can anyone tell me what size the threads on the block are?

My Ashwamwgh is standard pipe thread (USA)
The shear depth of my shallowness is perplexing yet morbidly interesting. Bob 2007

listeroidsusa1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008, 01:15:43 AM »
Many of the Indian engines use a 20mm bolt as a plug, with string wrapped around it for sealing. The thread is very close to our 1/2" npt threads except that npt threads are tapered. I've had good success using a 1/2" pipe nipple and a ball valve. Use hard setting permatex to ensure a good seal. The permatex is the best sealer I've found. Teflon tape, pipe dope, teflon paste, they all ooze and eventually leak. Permatex has never let me down.

rbodell

• View Profile
    • Life after retirement
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2008, 05:53:12 PM »
Many of the Indian engines use a 20mm bolt as a plug, with string wrapped around it for sealing. The thread is very close to our 1/2" npt threads except that npt threads are tapered. I've had good success using a 1/2" pipe nipple and a ball valve. Use hard setting permatex to ensure a good seal. The permatex is the best sealer I've found. Teflon tape, pipe dope, teflon paste, they all ooze and eventually leak. Permatex has never let me down.

Good point, my pvc pipe tape hasn't leaked yet, but I will keep that in mind and replace it with permatex next oil change.
The shear depth of my shallowness is perplexing yet morbidly interesting. Bob 2007

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2008, 10:13:28 PM »
Many NPT fitting will engage and seal on BSP or come so very close they can be sealed up with pipe dope....
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken