Puppeteer

Author Topic: Not really Slow but anybody use one of these?  (Read 7104 times)

t19

• Tanks and Lister... Heavy Metal
    • View Profile
Not really Slow but anybody use one of these?
« on: March 04, 2006, 07:58:21 PM »
I want to by a Lister (debating on Listoid or using family over there to send me an original) but in the mean time I need a generator to get me going just in case

Has anyone ever used one of these units?  I've seen them at farm auctions and they seem to do the job

http://cgi.ebay.ca/NEW-6000-WATT-SILENT-DIESEL-COMMERCIAL-GENERATOR-6-KW_W0QQitemZ7596502759QQcategoryZ106437QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

What does the List have to say?

(BTW I HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS COMPANY,I'M AN IT GUY )

There is plenty of room for all of Gods creatures... right next to the mashed potatoes...

emerald

• View Profile
Re: Not really Slow but anybody use one of these?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2006, 08:45:48 PM »
Ok I will jump in and give it straight. I am not putting the thing down, just pointing out what it is not.

It is a 5.5kW generator advertised as a 6kW model. Typical sales and marketing propaganda. You wont draw 6kW from that for very long. It has a 3600RPM diesel engine, a chinese copy of a Johndeer engine. How long will that last?.....I know the chinese copy Honda petrol engines do not give good hours. You can draw your own conclusions.

The gen head is a two pole unit, they are not as well balanced as the four pole 1500/1800RPM units. But it is matched to the prime mover well, and no belts used. it will consume more fuel that the Lister you are looking at. I bet when the bidding ends, the cost of the Lister and Gen head will be less, and you'll have better fuel economy/longer lasting genset.

It is your call and your money.

Emerald

Stan

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2006, 01:55:58 AM »
Don't know much about the engine but I can spot the sales pitch from a mile away.  I used to be in sales training ;D

This phrase   "Your engine is protected by our oil alert lamp."  using the word "your" when you obviously haven't even bought it yet is the "raising expectations that it will be yours" part of the pitch.  It's a clue to run, don't look back!  People who use this device (which is very successful by the way) are usually doing it because there's nothing really great about the product so they rely on the sales pitch to sell it!  Really good products don't need high pressure, high tech sales pitches.
Just MHO
Stan

Doug

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2006, 04:13:24 AM »
Its hard to tell one from another(the gensets) but this Chinese fellow who works at my mine in the Eng dept purchased a container fo these just before the big black out in 2003(timing is everything, and he laughed to the bank). From my side of the picket line(the hungery side) I saw these or something very close run 3 days straight.
So I think some of these may be ok the ones I saw were fairly quiet and didn't blow apart after 3 days. As to what became of them and how many are left functional I don't know.

Doug

trigzy

• View Profile
    • High Tech Hicks
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2006, 04:33:55 PM »
(Disclaimer: I sell a competing product)

Although I'm not familiar with this particular product, products from 'similar' manufacturers that I have dealt with have about 1500-1600 hours on them with no failures.  The engines are actually copies of Yanmar engines, I've sold them by the dozens, no reported failures so far....  I've also had no issue with the Honda copies from this (my) manufacturer.   The alternators that have been provided to me have been of good quality, and reliable.  This appears as though it's from a different supplier, so no guarantees about how it lasts, as the chinese quality varies just as much as the Indian quality.  There is some junk, and there is good stuff as well.

With all that said, my manufacturer rates the exact same unit at a 4800watt continuous rating for the 120/240 volt, and 200watts of DC power.  (100 watts which charges the starting battery, and 100 watts available at terminals on the font panel.)

If you dont care if it has a sound proof enclosure or not, the same unit with an open frame can be had for a cost closer to $700.

Steve
Power Anand 24/2, Brushless 20kW, some other antique iron.
Vendor of AVR's, Small Clones of Yanmar Diesel and Honda Gasoline Engines

trigzy

• View Profile
    • High Tech Hicks
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2006, 05:03:57 PM »
Just read this:
"Battery supplied dry - just add distilled water"

I've never seen a battery that only needs distilled water from dry........ every one that I've ever had needs acid ............  I bet these do and he doesn't know it....

$20 says he knows NOTHING about these generators and the specs are just a copy off the mfg's website.

Steve
Power Anand 24/2, Brushless 20kW, some other antique iron.
Vendor of AVR's, Small Clones of Yanmar Diesel and Honda Gasoline Engines

DirtbikePilot

• Spinning flywheels are cool....
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2006, 06:49:27 PM »
I have one of these generators in "open frame" form, and it seems pretty good. It is much noisier than the listeroid is, but people overstate the efficiency of the listeroid in comparison. The listeroid 6/1 comes in at 205.8 gms/bhp/hr. These yanmar L100 clones are rated at less than 200 gms/bhp/hr at 3600 rpm. The yanmar engines are more efficient at full load than the listeroids are. I put a performance chart for the yanmar in the coppermine gallery that gives all the specs like fuel consumption, but I don't know how to post it here.
Currently no listeroids, sad........ very sad.....
Just some other antique engines ranging from 40 pounds to 33,000 pounds each.

GuyFawkes

• View Profile
    • stuff
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2006, 07:05:08 PM »
I have one of these generators in "open frame" form, and it seems pretty good. It is much noisier than the listeroid is, but people overstate the efficiency of the listeroid in comparison. The listeroid 6/1 comes in at 205.8 gms/bhp/hr. These yanmar L100 clones are rated at less than 200 gms/bhp/hr at 3600 rpm. The yanmar engines are more efficient at full load than the listeroids are. I put a performance chart for the yanmar in the coppermine gallery that gives all the specs like fuel consumption, but I don't know how to post it here.

ah, we're back at the torque vs bhp thread again.....

bhp is revs, and therefore a measure of fuel consumption and thermal rejection.

watts are pretty much interchangeable with bhp

it stands to reason there will be little difference in fuel/kw/hr generated, as there can be little difference in fuel/bhp/hr

compare an 8 pole and a 4 pole and a 2 pole all rated at the same power and you'll see some differences, not huge though.

bottom line, gen head is a lousy device for getting useful work out an "old" engine design like a lister(oid)

you want something that dramatically higlights the difference and shows off the listers huge torque for the same fuel consumption?

attach a mechanically driven water pump, or any other device where real work is done involving kinetic energy
--
Original Lister CS 6/1 Start-o-matic 2.5 Kw (radiator conversion)
3Kw 130 VDC Dynamo to be added. (compressor + hyd pump)
Original Lister D, megasquirt multifuel project, compressor and truck alternator.
Current status - project / standby, Fuel, good old pump diesel.

cranelift

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2006, 01:28:18 AM »
 :-X
« Last Edit: April 01, 2006, 12:17:13 AM by cranelift »
Powerline 12/2  8KW st head

t19

• Tanks and Lister... Heavy Metal
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2006, 01:54:49 AM »
WellI have not made up the mind yet.   I was looking at this a unit as a stop gap measure, which would have been a backup to my Lister.  I can afford this now, and have the space to house it while I get ready for a Lister.

Thanks for the input
There is plenty of room for all of Gods creatures... right next to the mashed potatoes...