Author Topic: CS 6-1 Core plug / Expansion plug  (Read 4333 times)

brainshbsuk

• View Profile
CS 6-1 Core plug / Expansion plug
« on: February 18, 2008, 12:20:26 PM »
Hi Forum,
I need a core plug for my Lister CS 6-1 cylinder head. It is the standard 1 1/4 size. can anyone help?

Brian.

Stan

Re: CS 6-1 Core plug / Expansion plug
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 03:33:23 PM »
By core plug, do you mean the COV replacement, or are you wanting to plug up the COV hole and set your Lister permanently on high compression?  If so, there are dangers doing that,  especially if you are below 1000' elevation and/or may be running for extended periods of time with a heavy load.  The manual plainly states this is NOT acceptable and should be avoided.

Someone posted a saying her awhile ago stating something about the problem with listening to people who think they know more about the engineering behind the Lister design than the engineers who designed the engine over a period of many years at the Dursley factory.
Stan

brainshbsuk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 03:41:47 PM »
Hi Stan,
My 6-1 doesn`t have an adjustable COV it was an optional extra, my engine has a fixed plug. It wasn`t the COV that I was after. I am missing one of the plugs in the top of the head there should be 4 & I only have 3 these are commonly known as core plugs or as stated in the Lister manual Expansion plugs but I have sinse learnt the are also known as Welsh plugs. They are used to block off the casting holes.
Brian..

Curtis Shipp

• Living in Curtis World, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 04:24:08 PM »
Hi Stan,
My 6-1 doesn`t have an adjustable COV it was an optional extra, my engine has a fixed plug. It wasn`t the COV that I was after. I am missing one of the plugs in the top of the head there should be 4 & I only have 3 these are commonly known as core plugs or as stated in the Lister manual Expansion plugs but I have sinse learnt the are also known as Welsh plugs. They are used to block off the casting holes.
Brian..

Go to a major auto parts house. They normally have different sizes and styles in stock. You will need the flat style. Do not let them sell you the cup style.
6/1 jkson / 6kw 3ph mecc alte gen / my home shop off grid / wife and kids on grid

listerdiesel

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 04:25:28 PM »
We have some of these in the workshop. Where are you located?

Peter

craig c

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 07:11:43 PM »
Hi , if you give me your address I will send you two 1 1/4 " for free , cheers CraigC .

Stan

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 03:15:28 PM »
Now I gotcha Brian....we call them frost plugs here (although on most engines they only pop after the block cracks when freezing).
Stan

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2008, 04:32:20 PM »
Freeze Plugs in the States.

Although, they usually leak and need replacing.