Puppeteer

Author Topic: washing used veg oil  (Read 9313 times)

blaze

• View Profile
washing used veg oil
« on: February 18, 2008, 12:23:48 AM »

I have a restuarant that is letting me have there used oil the only problem is they wash there fry tank with soap and water , and they drain it all in the same container. And they do not want to do it any other way.I am  worried that some of the soap will remain in the oil butI am  not to worried about the water . I am going to process this oil into bio diesel so I am concerned about the soap in the oil affecting the titration process do any of you that has been doing this for a while think this might be a problem I do not have the experiance to know. and  I do not want to make the restuarant owner mad by taking it then deciding not to. In this small town that will surely ruin my chances getting oil from anyone else. Thank you Mike

rbodell

• View Profile
    • Life after retirement
Re: washing used veg oil
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 01:41:04 AM »

I have a restuarant that is letting me have there used oil the only problem is they wash there fry tank with soap and water , and they drain it all in the same container. And they do not want to do it any other way.I am  worried that some of the soap will remain in the oil butI am  not to worried about the water . I am going to process this oil into bio diesel so I am concerned about the soap in the oil affecting the titration process do any of you that has been doing this for a while think this might be a problem I do not have the experiance to know. and  I do not want to make the restuarant owner mad by taking it then deciding not to. In this small town that will surely ruin my chances getting oil from anyone else. Thank you Mike

Every once and a while somebody gives me waste motor oil that looks like the dregs from their sludge pit, I just take it to walmart.
The shear depth of my shallowness is perplexing yet morbidly interesting. Bob 2007

blaze

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 04:12:12 PM »

Thank's for the reply I guess I am going to try it just to get started some where. Maybe in the future I can get them to change there mind's Mike

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 12:49:15 AM »
Dry and do a sample batch.
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

biobill

• 'riods make good houseguests if fed right
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 02:30:17 PM »
blaze,
  I end up with the occasional jug that looks just like what cognos described. Oil on top, a milky emulsified layer, and nasty water on the bottom. You can pour the oil off the top and it'll work fine. Problem is, you've got to get rid of the water which can get really putrid.
  I've found that kitchens get pretty set in their routines and are not inclined to change for the convenience of the guy who picks up the grease. I have had a few successes though by co-opting customers to voice their opinions. "I think it's fantastic that you're recycling your used oil into fuel" or "Why aren't you guys saving that oil for someone who can use it?" It means a lot more from someone coming in the front door than from the guy knocking on the back door.

Off grid since 1990
6/1 Metro DI living in basement, cogen
6/1 Metro IDI running barn & biodiesel processer
VW 1.6 diesels all over the place
Isuzu Boxtruck, Ford Backhoe, all running on biodiesel
Needs diesel lawnmower & chainsaw

blaze

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 01:27:24 AM »

Thank's for all your info it is greatly appreciated. I made a test batch and every thing look fine I just was not sure if anything stayed behind.Mike C.