Author Topic: Reuse head gasket ??  (Read 23438 times)

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
Re: Reuse head gasket ??
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2015, 03:50:27 PM »
Well, I got into the retorque yesterday, and am about to fire it up for today (cloudy for next 3 days, no point in running the batteries flat) and see how it did.
I loosened the head nuts, one at a time, about 1/2 turn, and retorqued about 1/8 to 1/4 turn more.  The loosest one was opposite where the bubbles appeared.
And after todays run to settle things in, I'll re-set the valve lash, it's still pretty close.

The rockers and pushrods looked OK, the metal is polished up, but not scraped, have about 250 hrs on it since the head gasket was replaced (after a surface & valve job at local diesel shop 2013)

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
Re: Reuse head gasket ??
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2015, 01:45:10 AM »
Well, today I took the injector out and was able to use my fingernail to scrape it clean.   Also replaced the fuel filter, and relocated the fuel tank, and installed a foot of clear tube between the return line port and the fuel supply port, as a fuel level sight glass.  I assume it will go bad in a year and I'll have to replace it, but being able to see the fuel level is worth a hunk of hose.

Purging the air, was stupidly simple, I hope it doesn't stop on me half an hour into the morning power run.  I twanged the new fuel line, bled each connection, and even after shaking all the fuel out of the injector when I was cleaning it, I got dribble at the injector after the 4th fuel pump stroke, and tightened the nut and got Creak right after that.  And it started and ran without stumbling.

Valve adjustments tomorrow, maybe before running it.

EGT (Actually IR thermometer gun) this am, after a good run, 325F, which is about normal, at the nipple at the exhaust flange.