Author Topic: washing veg oil  (Read 6547 times)

blaze

• View Profile
washing veg oil
« on: February 15, 2008, 04:45:58 PM »

Does anyone out there know if you can wash soap out of used veg oil ? I have a restuarent that clean's there cooker with water and saop. And they refuse to do it any other way, They dump water soap and oil all together in the same container and I can not talk them in to changing. And I would like to know if it is even worth messing with thank's.Mike

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
Re: washing veg oil
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 05:02:14 PM »
How about turning them into the EPA?  ::)  Wait a minute!  How about you paying them for their trouble - MONEY, The universal language.  Naw.  Call the EPA.

This is my two cents worth.

LowGear
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

blaze

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008, 10:02:46 PM »

Thank's for the reply but dose that mean you can not wash out the soap or is it not worth the trouble. I just as soon not make trouble it is a small town and I am ssure it would ruin my chance's. of getting anyone elses used cooking oil. again thank's Mike.

VeggieDiesel

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 03:43:13 AM »
Blaze,

The water can be removed, but to my knowledge, the soap cannot be economicaly removed.
I checked my Biodesel handbook. It recommends to stay away from restaurants who dump their water with the oil.

Veggie
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 03:49:07 AM by Veggie »

blaze

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 04:05:18 PM »

Thank's for the reply I did a sample batch and it had a separation but the oil on top was a little cloudy but it had a nice amber color.

danalinscott

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 05:33:43 AM »
Soap, acids, salts, sugars and in fact any water soluble contaminant CAN be washed out of wvo.

There is more info on washing and dewatering wvo at: http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/post/voconversionbasics/vpost?id=1610968 and http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/post/voconversionbasics/vpost?id=1883553
Dana
danalinscott@yahoo.com

VeggieDiesel

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 10:20:37 PM »
Dana,

Do you find that the mist washing works well for WVO ?
I use it to wash biodiesel after processing, but it never ocurred to me that it might work with WVO also.
Does it pull the soap to the bottom layer ?

Veggie

danalinscott

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2008, 06:40:53 PM »
Water settles out to the bottom quickly when wvo is mistwashed.
And it pulls most particulates and water soluble contaminats out of the wvo to settle on the bottom along with it.  This cludes soap. But since soaps are a creation of the process of making biodieel it is fairly rare when you find soaps in wvo. It happens of course. I have found about everything but the kitchen sink in wvo over the past 20 years.
Dana
danalinscott@yahoo.com