Author Topic: Felt for water removal  (Read 18927 times)

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
Re: Felt for water removal
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2008, 09:32:17 PM »
I just found a filter at our local Home Hardware store called a "Mrfunnel".  I got the smaller F1 size good for amounts up to what comes out of a 5 gal size can, for half price $7.49.  It's website complete with movie is found at   www.mrfunnel.com

Check it out, it looks great, and at a good price.  There are much bigger models available too, presumably at a bigger price.
Stan

The mesh is SO fine in it, only hot oil is likely to make it through. I don't see how cold oil (70F) could get thru it.   Does look like a great idea.

Stan

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2008, 09:35:44 PM »
I can't say for sure why it is twice the price over there,  but when I was in England last,  a couple of years ago, just about everything in Cambridge (where I was staying with my daughter)  was just about twice the price of the exact same item here in Canada.  I priced out clothes, hardware, wood, tools, gasoline, groceries electronics  etc.  Houses were another thing, comparable single family houses were 4 to 5 times the price.    Except new cars they were the same price!  Who can figure that one out.  I talked to a couple of teachers and discovered they made even less than a comparable canadian teacher?  I coudn't figure out how so many people could afford to eat out as much as they did, and buy all the stuff they had,  on their salaries.
stan

lendusaquid

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2008, 09:49:25 PM »
I have a friend at work who came over from vancouver island a few years ago.I told him you can work your nuts off over here and get nowhere and he agreed.You think your getting somewhere then the government   rapes you of more money.Emigration is soaring and he is trying to persuade me to move to Canada. Its very tempting.He brought his culture over with him and now most of our wildlife is in his fridge.   

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2008, 10:14:43 PM »
I can say for a fact that the creamy fryer oil I have will not go through the funnel, heated on not. Diesel pours right through. I really need to get the bio-diesel processor going, along with a million and one other things needed to finish the house.
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2008, 11:42:03 PM »
the creamy fryer oil

Most likely will need heating/boiling, or a quick trip thru a centrifugal filter, to get the water out.

I'd then add more water, mix well, and extract again, to get the rest of the soap/detergent out. Then you may have burnable oil.

Try a quart on a stove, and see how it comes out?

Stan

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2008, 12:11:05 AM »
Lend...I was looking closely at the big black squirrels in the parks over there once I priced out meat a the supermarket.  I've got a nice strong slingshot with an armrest that fires small ball bearings very accurately.  I could have knocked off a bunch of them easily.  Maybe 1/3 lb of meat per squirrel, should be tasty with a little hang time, soaking in salt water overnight and a few minutes on the bbq. (we need a smilie with licking lips, this one just doesn't cut it   :P
Stan

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2008, 12:19:42 AM »
Only second generation Italians eat squirls lol....

No just kidding.

Buy a bang stick shoot some birds and deep fry them.

Got squirls try this.

Stupid ugly little buggers

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=hRR4bOquEKQ
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

sid

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2008, 12:24:58 AM »
a squirrel is just a rat in a better looking suit/sid
15 hp fairbanks morris1932/1923 meadows mill
8 hp stover 1923
8 hp lg lister
1932 c.s bell hammer mill
4 hp witte 1917
5 hp des jardin 1926
3 hp mini petters
2hp hercules 1924
1 1/2 briggs.etc

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2008, 12:37:17 AM »
I had a realy nice old tube radio in my shed. I didn't know it was there until after I moved in and start cleaning.
Squirls made a nest inside and ate the wiring.
I hate the dirty little buggers and shoot them on sight.
They eat the seed for my birds chew my garden flowers and do nothing good........

sid

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2008, 12:39:51 AM »
had trouble with squirrels in the bird feeder/ set a small metal pan on the ground and put some bird feed in it..put a spark plug in the pan hooked to a model T buzz coil// ran the wires to the deck and wait with a cold one. when the squirrel  stands in the pan.just touch the wires to a battery// most squirrels will get about 4 feet in the air and 2-3 complete turns//makes a cold beer go down better/sid
15 hp fairbanks morris1932/1923 meadows mill
8 hp stover 1923
8 hp lg lister
1932 c.s bell hammer mill
4 hp witte 1917
5 hp des jardin 1926
3 hp mini petters
2hp hercules 1924
1 1/2 briggs.etc

lendusaquid

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2008, 12:41:47 AM »
I dont think there squirrels i think they are cats.Ive never eaten a cat before.I just hope my neighbor doesn't find out  ;D or were they the very large mice we have that used to carry the plague.

Meanwhile back at the ranch(shed)i tried out a wvo thermosyphon and it worked.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2514037660100808385Utgpil

I gave the copper pipe the once over with a torch so it knew which way to go then of it went.I hope you appreciate the vast expense and sophistication that went into this setup. 

Stan

« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2008, 12:55:36 AM »
What would happen if you took a few turns of copper pipe around the exhaust pipe, with the cold "inlet" coming up from about 6" below, and the "hot" going straight up for 6" or so then, back to the tank.  Do you think it would thermosyphon?  Maybe someone could rig that up since Penelope isn't ready to be fired up yet?

Not as elegant as yours lend... but simpler with no fabrication involved.
Stan

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2008, 12:59:35 AM »
Ive never eaten a cat before.. 

I have.....
Bobcat, fry them up with some pork, onions and garlic. Getthem young and they're good. And I don't feel the slightest bit of guilt, a barn cat eats mice and does you a favour. A bobcat eats your chickens.

Stan

« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2008, 01:39:39 AM »
I used to leave a swath of oats along the back field because there were too many rocks to cut.  Used to break teeth like crazy.  The bears would come out of the bush and sit down in the oats in late Sept and gather an armfull of stalks, open their mouths and eat the oat heads.  They'd do that all day long.  After a couple of weeks I'd go out on a Saturday morning and pot a nice fat one, get the tractor and bring him in to clean and skin him.  They have a layer of fat about 6" thick under their skin but real nice lean meat on them.  yum yum, nothing like grain fed bear!
Stan

So how would wvo thermosyphon using a copper coil?

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2008, 02:35:49 AM »
Don't get me started on bears.
I think we should re introduce the Black bear to southern Ontario, down town Toronto.
I hate bears too, unless wrapped in a sausage casing....

Bring back the spring bear hunt, buggers around here now have no issue at all wandering around spring and summer no fear of man. I live in the burbs where bears should fear treading.

Thermosyphon copper coils ........