Author Topic: Felt for water removal  (Read 18929 times)

Stan

Felt for water removal
« on: February 13, 2008, 07:51:32 PM »
Hi guys...I normally don't hang out in this section of the forum but as my Lister 6/1 gets nearer to completion (rebuild) I am getting more interested in running waste veggie oil.  When I was a kid back home on the farm, my father always filtered our diesel and gas through an old 10 gallon felt cowboy hat.  It took out all the crud as well as all the water normally found in 45 gallon drums.

Has anyone tried using felt cloth to filter wvo, and did you ever find a "puddle" of water in the bottom when you finished filtering?  I know John (13) uses cloths of various kinds to filter but didn't think to ask him if he used "felt" specifically when I visited.
Stan

Moved here from motor oil...

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
Re: Felt for water removal
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 08:15:37 PM »
I have a filtering funnel that will remove debris and water from fuel. It is good for bulk transfers, but is a bit wasteful for fill ups as about a cup of fuel remains in the bottom of the funnel. I believe it came from west marine.
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

Stan

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 08:36:30 PM »
Would this be it?
Stan

« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 08:39:24 PM by Stan »

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 10:06:32 PM »
Yes!
Tom

Stan

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 12:21:04 AM »
Thanks, I get the principle....It's the same as the "cascading barrels" filter.
Stan

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2008, 02:50:14 AM »
My understanding is that it is a Teflon coated 195 micron screen. I guess that the mesh is small enough and with the Teflon has enough surface tension that won't pass water. It seems to work as long as the water is not emulsified in the fuel.
Tom

Stan

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2008, 03:33:55 AM »
Isn't the large part of the funnel solid on the bottom and the fuel rises up and drains down the raised center part?  I can't tell for sure from the pic but you would be able to describe it to me in more detail.
Stan

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2008, 04:50:51 PM »
Yes the screen is in the center column. They would be nicer if the screen was pleated, however I think the general purpose of these funnels is to watch as your boat tank is being filled at the dock. If water/debris shows up during fueling you stop and get your fuel from another source.
Tom

Stan

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2008, 05:26:57 PM »
OK, thanks Tom....That's all the info I need to build my own system.  I have a penchant for doing things my way, especially as, being the packrat that I am, I have lots of "stuff" lying around to do things with.  I'm going to build a modified cascade type filter using 3 or 4, five gallon containers with "top to bottom" connections.  I'll include a couple of home made filters to polish the wvo at the final stage and a coarse filter at the beginning.
Stan

lendusaquid

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2008, 09:23:57 PM »
Hello Stan

Ive just started to sort out what i am going to do regards using wvo.I like the idea of cascading barrels so will try to use it if i can find the room.From the CSOG  someone suggested using jeans as a first filter which i will try(Except modern jeans which come with holes).I would like to know what you intend to do with heating and filtering at time of use? I have just bought a filter housing off ebay that takes 10 micron filters.I was going to mount this after a exhaust heatex and the ip. 

Stan

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2008, 09:31:05 PM »
I'm lazy and cheap, I'm going to wait till summer and do it when it's 90 deg F outside and I can set the cascading drums in the sun  ;D 
I figure I can use a little anti-fungal preservative and make sure the water is all gone and it'll be able to keep from smelling up the neighbourhood for at least a year.

As for heating the wvo in the winter so it'll burn more effectively, 6 turns of 1/4" copper around the exhaust pipe should do the trick, with both starting and stopping on regular diesel.
Stan

lendusaquid

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2008, 11:37:08 PM »
The 6 loops of copper around the exhaust is what i had when i was experimenting last year.I was a bit concerned about the veg cooking in the loops while running on Diesel.I have made up a plate heater that could be moved away from the exhaust untill ready.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2184738220100808385xIHrwt

I havent tried it yet but it should work ok.Then i thought if i set up a thermosyphon  loop to the tank, the oil would be continually moving and so not cook in the heatex.So i could leave it in place.I could T off the hot side to the ip.

Can you see light through the felt? I think felt would make a good fine filter material but i would heat the oil first.

lendusaquid

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2008, 07:40:57 PM »
There is just one separator inside.The oil goes up to the end then comes back.The exhaust runs at about 210 C at most which is a bit close to the melting point of solder for my liking but i have used Lead free solder which melts around 20`C hotter.As long as i never run it dry i should be ok.I like to run things as simple as possible  so if i can not get thermosyphon  to work i would  just run the oil through by gravity and collect  it in a container on the floor. Then again i could just release it from the exhaust which was my original plan.

Going back to felt and filters i have just boiled by sock filter and do not fancy doing it again.I want a supply of cheap or free cloth to make a filter then throw away. Far less hassle.

Stan

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2008, 08:24:57 PM »
I just found a filter at our local Home Hardware store called a "Mrfunnel".  I got the smaller F1 size good for amounts up to what comes out of a 5 gal size can, for half price $7.49.  It's website complete with movie is found at   www.mrfunnel.com

Check it out, it looks great, and at a good price.  There are much bigger models available too, presumably at a bigger price.
Stan

lendusaquid

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2008, 09:29:21 PM »
That is a nice piece off kit. I would like to know why its $30 in the UK?  >:(