Author Topic: Waste Veggie Oil  (Read 2969 times)

VeggieDiesel

Waste Veggie Oil
« on: February 13, 2008, 03:17:49 PM »
Hi All,

Has anyone had experience running Changfa's on WVO ?

Although I prefer pure Biodiesel, my Biodiesel preprocessor is kicking out some really clean WVO.
I run a dehydrator, centrifuge, filtration system on waste veggie oil prior to converting to biodiesel.
The pre-processed oil looks very clean and is free of moisture. I can also neutralize the acids (if present).
It would be great if I could skip the BioD process an run the WVO.
I am a bit concerned about contaminants and carbon/coking in the head an rings.

It would be great to know if anyone has prolonged use of WVO and how the insides looked when the engine came apart.

For those who are interested, I am assembling some pictures and a schematic of my WVO processor so that others can build one.
(Not expensive) Stay tuned !

mkdutchman

• mkdutchman at gmail dot com
    • View Profile
Re: Waste Veggie Oil
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 03:41:39 PM »
yes, keep us posted.........

mjn

• View Profile
    • My Changfa Generator Project
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 05:11:26 PM »
I have about 200 hours on my Changfa running filtered and dewatered WVO.  I haven't pulled the head, but I do a compression check with every oil change.  So far, the compression checks show no loss of compression (which would indicate ring coking). I'm sure there are others who have more hours.

When I first looked into running WVO in a generator, some "experts" claimed that the engine would coke up within a few hours on WVO because of the constant rpm characteristics of running a generator.  At the time, it was felt that you needed to rev the engine to clean out the carbon.

About that time, John from Fattywagons reported good results using electrically heated injector lines.  Ken Gardner running a 6/1 listeroid reported significant decrease in coking when running injector line heaters.   That convinced me that heating the injector line was a good thing.

In my opinion, the hotter the better when it comes to WVO.  I'm typically running between 80º and 110ºC at the injector.  I have heard of people running as hot as 150ºC (300ºF).

In case you are interested, I'm using this compression tester from harbor freight http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93644  It cost a whopping $25.  Unfortunately, I needed to machine an adapter to fit the Changfa head.  (Made from a 12mm metric bolt.)
Changfa 195 7.5 kw ST.  WVO conversion http://martin.nile.googlepages.com/
Metro 6/1 DI Listeroid. Pumping water for fire control.
1933 Stover CT-1 hit and miss
1936 Farmall F-12 -- unrestored, still used to mow the field

Stan

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 05:49:57 PM »
There is an extensive thread on decoking diesel engines somewhere on the forum..Two methods come to mind, the first was injecting tiny sprays of water and the second was allowing for a minute amount of propane vapour to be sucked into the intake manifold.  I haven't tried either of them but do a search and see what the discussion was all about.
stan