Author Topic: Yippee, Just got my new Changfa 1115 home!  (Read 26140 times)

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
Yippee, Just got my new Changfa 1115 home!
« on: February 08, 2008, 09:59:55 PM »
I bought a brand new Changfa 1115 engine with electric start and an ST-12 gen head from Pat at Altopro and it arrived at the Brampton freight terminal yesterday.  It took all I had for strength yesterday to clear my drive so I could get a truck up to the workshop door. Wednesday`s snowstorm sure didn` help.  Normally I`d wait for nature to melt it but this time immediate access was kinda urgent. Today I spent four hours driving to get a borrowed pickup truck, hit the freight terminal. drop the load off at home. return the pickup and return home with my own car. I had to move quickly because we are expecting another storm tomorrow.  I am so bloody tired I cannot find the energy to go out to the shop and uncrate my new toy. Working alone, man that engine is heavy!  The ST-12 was easy to handle by hand in comparison.

I`d like to publicly thank Pat for his prompt and courteous service and for giving me a good deal on this engine that I have wanted now for at least two years.  I bought a JD175A previously from him and cannot give a vendor more praise for good customer service!  Pat stocks lots of spare parts for these engines and has very good freight connections with good shipping rates.  He is located just east of Montreal and can be reached here,

pat(at symbol)altopro(dot symbol)ca 

I am eagerly looking forward to breaking into that crate and seeing my new toy. Maybe later tonight after some zzzz`s.  I`ve never seen one of the larger China diesels in person so this is going to be a treat.   ;D

-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dual  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

draganof

• Keeper of a Mighty Changfa
    • View Profile
Re: Yippee, Just got my new Changfa 1115 home!
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 11:35:31 PM »
Reminds me of when I got my 195. I had it delivered to my work place. I loaded it with a fork lift into my service truck and brought it home. By the time I got it unloaded and un-crated it was 10pm. At midnight my wife came outside and told me to put away my new toy because the neighbors were complaining about the noise. You just have to love getting a new diesel!

John
Changfa 195 and ST10
8kw Yanmar/Kohler

rcavictim

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008, 12:20:46 PM »
Reminds me of when I got my 195. I had it delivered to my work place. I loaded it with a fork lift into my service truck and brought it home. By the time I got it unloaded and un-crated it was 10pm. At midnight my wife came outside and told me to put away my new toy because the neighbors were complaining about the noise. You just have to love getting a new diesel!

John

I can totally relate to that level of enthusiasm, but I do not have the advantage of having a wife to let me know when I am out of control.  ;D

Today is the day I get to see my new engine!  Must move some clutter and make some shop space for it first.
-Changfa 1115
-Want Lister 6/1

draganof

• Keeper of a Mighty Changfa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2008, 04:20:24 PM »
Unlike the birth of a child we will want to see the pictures! :o
Changfa 195 and ST10
8kw Yanmar/Kohler

rcavictim

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2008, 07:22:34 PM »
Well I got out to the shop real early like and after shuffling some junk to make room I popped the crate off the base.  Holy chit, this sonomabitch is BIG!  The flywheel is about 2 feet in diameter. Starter teeth machined into the actual flywheel itself all around (not appearig to be a shrunk on ring) which suggests this is a cast steel disc, not cast iron.  That would be supported in that it spins faster than the 60 MPH safe rule for cast iron flywheels.  The starter motor is as large as you`d see on a large multi cylinder industrial diesel, not a small unit like from a 4-cylinder import car engine.

Looking into the exhaust port it appears this engine was never test run at the factory.  There is no oil in the crankcase according to the clean and dry dipstick and the fuel tank is dry and has no fuel smell inside.  There is no rust inside the area of the cylinder sleeve deep in the cooling hopper well.

The exhaust and intake systems need to be bolted into place which I haven`t done yet.  I wanted to get some clean paper and trace flange patterns of the ports first.  When I went to the house to get some paper and a coffee I went back to bed instead.  I`m still completely drained from the past two days efforts getting the engine here since my whiplash and fibromyalgia have flared again.  Please bear with this cripple.  ;)  Anyhow the fantastic news is that everything is here without any dents or scratches.

I brought the manual in to the house with me to familiarize myself with this model. Quoting from page 1.

CHANGFA-ZS1115G diesel
INSTRUCTIONS FOR USE
PREFACE

`ZS1115G Diesel, a horizontal type, single cylinder, double-roll and straightspurt diesel with the greatest power in China, has joined the Changfa diesel family as the newest product of the company.

ZS1115G Diesel has a lot of advantages such as fine appearance, new construction, great power, steady operation, easy starting, low fuel and water consumption, wide co-ordination and convenient maintenance.  In short, ZS1115G Diesel embodies two fine features - economy and reliability, both of which have achieved the advanced level of the 1990`s, Having the same connective size for set-forming installation and the same way of exporting power as S195,S1100 and some other diesels, ZS1115G Diesel is suitable for powering small four wheel tractors and for driving agricultural irrigation and drainage pumps, as well as engineering machinery and ship-propulsion, It can also be used as a prime mover for small electrical generators and agricultural processing machines.....`
[/b]

Cool!  Doesn`t that just want to make you pull out your credit card and order one too?  ;D

I am headed back out to the shop later and will take photos as I attach the manifolds and silencer/air filter.

I want to pull the starter off the end with the crankcase cover and inspect inside for finish and evidence of casting grit before I add fluids, prime the lube oil system and fuel system, and attempt a very short test run.

The CR of this DI engine is 17:1.  This engine could be well suited for a small turbocharger.  I am considering bringing in a minimum order of these from China and will sell the rest here and on ebay if I do.

Stand-by....... ;D
« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 07:26:11 PM by rcavictim »
-Changfa 1115
-Want Lister 6/1

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2008, 03:06:21 AM »
as much as you like the 175, the big boy will be a quantum leap over its little brother.

i decided on the 195 because it embodies the advantages of the twin counter shafts that yours does
but yours has one outboard ball brg main where my 195s do not,, i wish they did as well.
the outboard ball brg should handle heavy side loading much better in my opinion.

i do see that changfa has a new 195 with direct injection that is reportedly even lower in fuel consumption, maybe another day?

having a real oil pump is a huge plus in my opinion, and one of my projects will be the interception of the oil galley coming off the pump
to install a real full flow oil filter,, once that is accomplished i believe these engine's will have a lifespan very similar to the kubota's of similar design.

your going to have a lot of fun building around that engine, and will have something very useful when you are done.

good to see more folks working with the mighty changfa's

also i really believe that there is much that can be done to quiet the beast as well, pitching the pepper can noise maker, installing a better
air filter assembly will go a long way,,,, the gear train and diesel knock will take some creative license to harness, but i am convinced it can be done.

i am very happy for you!!

we need a changfa forum!!!

lol

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

rcavictim

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2008, 06:05:33 AM »
Thanx Bob,

My choice for a 1115 over a 195 was because I actually require the 20 horsepower.  This engine will have a power plant built around it soon.

Yes the beast appears to have a real oil pressure lube system.  It has a deep sump pan with a screened oil pickup feeding an oil pump.  The way the pan is attached it could be enlarged for more oil volume! The twin rotating counterbalance shafts make it pretty well impossible to put a slinger on the lower rod end as I did to boost splash oiling in my 175, but also the oil level is I suspect way down low so the bottom counterbalance isn`t sloshing through oil making foam and wasting power.  I want to figure out the pressure lube paths in this engine.  The way they get oil to the lower rod bearing is of particular interest to me at this time and whether it is true oil pump pressure or just centrifugally forced oil as in the 175.  I note two oil gallery closure cap screws on the 1115 on the crank throw from the exploded diagram.  Interesting!

You will recall that my 175 has an oil pump and I have successfully outfitted a full flow external spin on oil filter to that engine.  This modification is working like a champ!  Adding an outboard oil filter to the 1115 will be a very worthwhile upgrade I would say.  Of course I plan to share the details of any mods I do like this which might benefit other DIY owners.

As for the noise of these, intake silencers are available and better mufflers are amongst the first things to install.  Diesel knock will be more of a challenge.  Adding a turbocharger may reduce overall noise except for the knock which might actually get louder.  I don`t know.

I agree that we should get a separate China diesel forum space for the Chinese single horizontal diesels.
-Changfa 1115
-Want Lister 6/1

lev-l-lok

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2008, 03:10:55 PM »
RCA, please check George's Utterpower site for some important info re: oil pressure. I haven't run my 1115 yet, but according to several of Georges clients, it will make upwards of 160 psi cold, and will blow standard oil pressure sending units easily, as well as popping standard oil filters. Georges CD is the best $20 I've spent in a long time. He also has a spiffy banjo bolt for adding a tap in 1/8 pipe for filters gauges etc.. I'll be watching your build carefully, as your build of the 175 was very clever and resorcefull. So please plan, document and execute so us slackers can have a good plan to adapt to our own needs. FEEL BETTER.

Paul
Paul

1922 Fairbanks 6 hp Z, Chang Fa ZS1115G / Fuking ST-10, Lister? soon!

rcavictim

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2008, 06:29:52 PM »
RCA, please check George's Utterpower site for some important info re: oil pressure. I haven't run my 1115 yet, but according to several of Georges clients, it will make upwards of 160 psi cold, and will blow standard oil pressure sending units easily, as well as popping standard oil filters. Georges CD is the best $20 I've spent in a long time. He also has a spiffy banjo bolt for adding a tap in 1/8 pipe for filters gauges etc.. I'll be watching your build carefully, as your build of the 175 was very clever and resorcefull. So please plan, document and execute so us slackers can have a good plan to adapt to our own needs. FEEL BETTER.

Paul

Paul,

Thank you for the heads-up on cold oil pressure.  As I mentioned earlier, I need to get educated on the oiling system of this engine.  I cannot properly modify something that I do not understand how it works.

The oil pump on the 175 engine makes a lot of pressure cold by virtue of viscocity only. There is no pressure control valve on the simple gear pump. It actually has a large orfice to blow oil out into the crankcase on the outlet gallery of the pump which allows the presuure to really drop once the engine is up to operating temp.  Once warm the engine maintains a high pressure after pump of about 3-1/2 PSI.  When cold that pegs my added 20 PSI gauge in a gentle way with SAE #30 lube oil..
-Changfa 1115
-Want Lister 6/1

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2008, 07:05:46 PM »
A trip to the hydraulics shop can probably scare up a presure relief valve....

I made my own for the Petteriod.
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

rcavictim

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2008, 07:22:35 PM »
A trip to the hydraulics shop can probably scare up a presure relief valve....

I made my own for the Petteriod.

Doug,

I don`t see how the trouble of puting in an oil pressure relief valve would add anything of value to the oiling system of the JD175.  It would be something that could go wrong.

I just sent you PM about my ST head.
-Changfa 1115
-Want Lister 6/1

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2008, 08:37:42 PM »
Not specific in my reply this was meant for the 1115 to keep the presure bellow 100 psi on a cold start

rcavictim

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2008, 11:28:55 PM »
Not specific in my reply this was meant for the 1115 to keep the presure bellow 100 psi on a cold start

Doug,

Sorry for not properly interpreting your hand waving reply.   :D

I don`t even know where the oil filter is in this new 1115 engine yet.  I have to say the owner`s manual is not very detailed.  As for an oil pressure relief, now I understand what you meant, not to act as a pump bypass valve to generate a constant high run pressure irrespective of oil temp, but merely to limit cold, viscosity derived overpressure.
-Changfa 1115
-Want Lister 6/1

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2008, 11:44:17 PM »
Ya and easy to make from assorted fittings and springs...

rcavictim

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2008, 10:11:04 PM »
Here she is guys!

-Changfa 1115
-Want Lister 6/1