Puppeteer

Author Topic: What Kind of Workshop Facilities do we all have??  (Read 16345 times)

Grael

• View Profile
Re: What Kind of Workshop Facilities do we all have??
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2008, 02:19:29 AM »
OK Ill add mine. It is a 10'X12' shed which houses our batteries and inverter. In one corner is the wood stove which keeps the batteries warm when it is very cold outside, as well as keeping me warm when I'm fixin' something. The rest of the room is taken up by junk. Outside is various engines and assorted junk, as well as our 3 generators. (Listeroid coming soon) At least it is an escape from the world; not many people would consider the quiet hum of an inverter or generator southing...

Be very careful about striking a spark or flame in there young fellow....
Hydrogen doesn't hang in a room like NG pr propane but if your too close to a battery that off gassing you can have an explosion.

I'll go even further and recomend you and your dad look for some battery vent caps withthe littel hose barb to vent outside

Or you can roll in the snow trying to wash the acid from your face like I did one night when Iwas about your age after making an arc with a booster cable on a battery I had just freshly charged. Its a truely awful thing trust me.... The smell, the taste and the burniong in your eyes

Point taken, except I am a step ahead of ya, I got a few 3 1/2" computer ventilation fans venting outside around the batteries, brushless so there are no sparks. So there is plenty ventilation... And I have seen a few batteries that have exploded; not something I want to happen near me. :) In addition, I dont have enough charging power to make the batts really fizz; only a bit... :D
GTC 8-1

"Traveling 33 RPM in an iPod world"

Fairmountvewe

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2008, 03:35:19 AM »
I am sort of stuck with about 2/5 of a standard un-insulated 2 car garage.  I really can't complain, because I also have unlimited use of the adjacent gravel driveway , the dirt floor of either the pole barn or the coverall, and a small section of the concrete basement floor for the really special projects.  On a side note, my son and I were shopping this weekend in our nation's capital at the local Busy Bee store (none near Peterborough, so a trip to grandma's house was in order) and we left with the folowing question.  Which tool would be more useful for a small farm shop - a milling machine or a metal lathe?  I only ask becuase I have noticed that most people who have answered this post have one (or both).
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, cooperate, solve equations, analyze a new problem, and pitch manure. Specialization is for insects.

MacGyver

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2008, 12:00:19 AM »
I don't have a any current pics of my shop, and it's come quite a ways since these photos were taken, but here's what I had to start with.
http://www.weirdstuffwemake.com/weird/stuff/misc/sweetwater-shop.html

NO, I'm not gonna put the listeroid in the back right corner of the shop...

Steve
Steve

JKson (PS) 6/1 'roid & ST 7.5

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2008, 01:01:36 AM »
The the hell is that?

Why is it hanging off the edge like that?

Was drinking or recreational drugs involved when the building was moved?

Did a storm wash away something.

I mean WTF ? ? ? ? ? ?
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

sid

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2008, 01:06:42 AM »
now Doug/ I have seen pictures of your remodel job/sid
15 hp fairbanks morris1932/1923 meadows mill
8 hp stover 1923
8 hp lg lister
1932 c.s bell hammer mill
4 hp witte 1917
5 hp des jardin 1926
3 hp mini petters
2hp hercules 1924
1 1/2 briggs.etc

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2008, 02:22:11 AM »
We are not suposed to speak of that ;)

Don't shop at the Homo Depot......

MacGyver

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2008, 04:09:44 AM »
The the hell is that?

Why is it hanging off the edge like that?

Was drinking or recreational drugs involved when the building was moved?

Did a storm wash away something.

I mean WTF ? ? ? ? ? ?
Hehe... I'm glad you like my shop Doug! ;D
When you live on a property that's mostly vertical, sometimes you have to do the best you can...

Seriously, I don't know why it's built that way. I hasn't been moved, and I don't think anything has washed away. It was just built that way.
All the buildings on this property were built in the 1920's. That shop is made mostly of redwood, with 4" x 12" x 12' redwood planks for flooring. Lots of square nails hold the walls together. Much of the timber was quite obviously "milled" with an axe. (seriously)
One of our neighbors, who's nearly 70 now used to play on this property as a kid. His uncle owned it. He says that was a garage and it has always hung over the edge like that.
I dunno what they drank or smoked in the 1920's when this place was built, but I assure you that little shop isn't the strangest thing on this property.
But we call it home, and it's got a great view, and I try not to put anything heavy in the back right corner of the shop....

Steve
Steve

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2008, 04:24:04 AM »
Hey Steve, That shop does not sound like the place for a Lister, particularly if it is a shaker! Probably could mount to a big redwood stump though if you have one in a good location.
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

dpollo

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2008, 05:51:13 AM »
Jaysus MacGyver,  you are a dedicated man.

Up here in Canada there is a TV show called  " Holmes on Homes" where a builder named Mike Holmes swoops in like a super hero and puts things right.  I see he did a project in California, maybe he would do your garage too.

Seriously though,  what a great spot for a concrete bunker under that overhanging corner .  One it holds the building up and two it houses your Lister in quiet dignity. Several hundred feet from the house too.

Good luck with your project.    dp

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2008, 10:24:30 PM »
Well that is crazy stuff, just hope it stays up for you in the long run lol.

Don't call Mike Holmes if you are having a problem with the Home Depot.....
They suply him with too much material to get involved  ::)

MacGyver

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2008, 02:29:06 AM »
I added a few more photos to my "shop" website.  :)
As terrifying as it looks, I think that building is actually relatively stable. The support timbers and the floor are really quite large chunks of redwood.  I don't even want to think about how much a nice tight grained, old growth redwood plank that's 4" x 16" x 12' long would cost these days, but that's what makes up much of the floor in that building. The support timbers are rough hewn logs, about 10" square. That building has been there for 7 or 8 decades now and I'll bet it's got a couple more decades before it gets too treacherous to trust. But I did add some more diagonal bracing in certain areas and I'm not gonna put my Lister in that back right corner...

Actually the Lister will probably end up closer to the house. I'm too cheap to let that perfectly good coolant and exhaust heat get away. The only heat source for our house is a big brick fireplace supplemented by one or two small electric heaters (on the coldest days)  I WANT that waste heat from the Lister!

Oh, and Jens, I'll see if I can dig up some photos of the old concrete water storage tank that used to be up by our spring. Built on to the side of a 45 degree sloped hillside and attached to a tree for support. Obviously built that way. I don't know how the tank even stayed where it was, let alone with 1500 gallons of water in it...
I can't even figure out how they got that much concrete up such a steep slope! All probably 80 years old.
It definitely qualified as "stranger than the shop". Photos are 35mm prints. I'll try and find and scan them. They're pretty funny.

Steve
Steve

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2008, 02:35:57 AM »
That looks very nice now from the front.

But the back still looks " not to pretty ok ".

;D

okiezeke

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2008, 01:31:06 AM »
Currently have taken over the double garage.  Cars and trucks in the driveway.  Buying three 40 ft containers for my workshop on the farm.  Might take me a month or two to fill it with junk.

Zeke
Changfa type 25hp with 15kw ST head
Lovson 20-2 in blueprinting/rebuild
International TD-15 B  1962 dozer
Changfa 8 hp., 280 A battery charger

listeroidsusa1

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2008, 02:04:30 AM »
One building is a 20 x 32 sitting on a slope. The dirt has washed away from one side up to the concrete foundation on the side the 20 x 100 Hahn & Kolb lathe is on, the floor has cracked next to the lathe.............   Looks like its time to move some equipment this summer.

The other building is a purpose built 50 x 100 steel building with a 15" thick reinforced concrete floor. A 6000 lb bridge crane is installed that covers the entire building. Machinery includes a LeBlond 19 x 78 CNC flat bed lathe, a South Bend Cyclone CNC slant bed lathe, a Gould & Eberhart 36 x 18 gear hobber, electric crucible furnace, cupola iron furnace, molding bench, 14 x 14 Marvel model 8 roll in saw, Elox HR65 EDM, Jones & Shipman automatic surface grinder, Kent KTM-380 milling machine, Rhinehart horizontal machining center, Radial arm drill press, 36 x 60 surface plate, blanchard grinder, Linde 500 amp TIG welder, miller 300 amp stick welder, Miller 500 amp MIG welder, motor oil distillery, plus various hand tools and jigs. I sold engines but my main line of work is building and remanufacturing heavy duty industrial hydraulics, mainly valves and cylinders.

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2008, 02:15:09 AM »
Can I live in your shop?

You haven;t posted much on your distillery Mike.
Tell us what you have been up too?