Puppeteer

Author Topic: Flywheel key  (Read 3370 times)

mbguzzi

• View Profile
Flywheel key
« on: February 07, 2008, 07:31:55 AM »
Hi,

have anybody an idea or cheap trick how to remove flywheel key from crankshaft? I tried everything. From iron wedge to hydraulic uplift device... Did someone try special spray for contracting material? Does it work?

Thx in advance for advices!

Warm regards,
Matevz

listeroidsusa1

• View Profile
Re: Flywheel key
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 12:11:06 PM »
It takes a special puller to remove the key. I've built and sold several dozen so far so post and see if anyone near you has one the will loan out. I still have 2 left. The puller I build is very heavy duty and easily removes the stubborn key. Look in the for sale section under gib key puller if you're interested.

Mike

mbguzzi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 07:57:12 PM »
Thanks Mike...really good solution & cheap trick.
What is your price for the tool? I found someone... http://www.stationaryengineparts.com/erol.html#1X0 but the price is too high for this pcs.

Regards,
Matevz

listeroidsusa1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 01:29:37 AM »
The puller in the link will work if the key isn't too tight, otherwise it'll bend even the 1/2" steel plate. The end of my puller looks similar but is securely welded to a 4 1/2" heavy wall tube which supports the end plate. Mine also uses a 1 1/2" heavy duty ACME screw allowing much higher force than the 1/2" bolts of a plate type puller. I've never seen or even heard of a key that my puller wouldn't remove. Just for reference, my puller is 20+ pounds of steel

Mike

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 08:40:36 PM »
Hi,

have anybody an idea or cheap trick how to remove flywheel key from crankshaft? I tried everything. From iron wedge to hydraulic uplift device... Did someone try special spray for contracting material? Does it work?

Thx in advance for advices!

Warm regards,
Matevz

You can find answeres to most simple questions like this using a search. And there are all kinds of links to other Roid owners sites where you can see how they overcame a lot of problems.

Here is my Gib Head key puller.

http://www.putfile.com/pic/4159569

After the pull there was some distortion of the plate but it is still serviceable. The Key was scrap from the stretching
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken