Puppeteer

Author Topic: Cylinder Information  (Read 12001 times)

rleonard

• Mattoon, Illinois
    • View Profile
Re: Cylinder Information
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2008, 05:53:22 PM »
I learned a bit of information from my Amish Lister dealer friend

I suspect east coast is too far from me, but what's the dealers name/ph/web ?

Mike,

He is Amish.  No phone, no website.  Only mail. 

We're in central Illinois, on the right side of the Mississippi!

Bob
Faster - Better - Cheaper  You can have any two, but not all three

Quinnf

• Rest in peace
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2008, 06:12:08 PM »
Peter,

Thanks for that.  I always appreciate the benefit you provide the group from your experience with these engines.

Quinn
Ashwamegh 6/1, PowerSolutions 6/1 "Kit" engine, and a Changfa R175a that looks like a Yanmar I once knew

listerdiesel

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2008, 06:30:09 PM »
We have been fortunate in gathering a lot of factory material around us that has been useful information to give out.

We had hoped to get hold of the Lister factory microfilm library and get a set of copies made, but they have resisted our requests for some years.

There were 2 copies/sets, I understand that they are now down to one only, and nobody knows where the other one has gone to....

Understandable in part, although we would have been happy to sign a full non-commercial use agreement with them.

Peter

Dail R H

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2008, 01:43:08 AM »
   Stan,
   In your reply #6,I think you failed to distinguish the difference in wear in , and wear down. Oh OH ,wife's comming,gotta run

Stan

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2008, 02:20:51 AM »
Dale...I think I understand your misunderstanding and have undertaken to undo the misunderstanding as I understand it.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
Stan

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2008, 07:27:40 AM »
"Diamond honing" takes much less horsepower and  leaves an oil 'groove' that's Vee shaped about 85deg.  Silica and Oxide hones leave a radius cut  with 'plowed up' edges from the increased pressure in cutting and more smearing of material.  Could be marketing or it could be engineering that came up with 'diamond honing'.

"Titanium" is the new buzz word. Somebody even named a 'color' that!
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

rleonard

• Mattoon, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2008, 09:57:12 PM »
Now I'm dealing with a Lister 16-2.  As far as I can tell it is of a later vintage, but I do not have the s/n yet.  How do I determine the cylinder type?  Is it Listerd or iron.  The cylinder studs are exposed, alloy pistons, and there is no c/o valve.

I want to be sure that I am getting the right rings.

Bob
Faster - Better - Cheaper  You can have any two, but not all three

listerdiesel

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2008, 07:08:12 PM »
Chrome has a bluey tinge to it when you look down the bore against the light, cast iron is normally just dull-ish.

You can also sometimes see where the chroming finished at the end of the bore, usually it starts to flake after a few years.

LISTARD (Not Listar D, Stan) was the trade name, but there were others like CHROMARD which was another cylinder chroming process, and there were other still that I cannot put a name to. Hepolite had their own process for example.

Peter

Stan

« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2008, 08:30:40 PM »
My mistake Peter....I still think Listard sounds like something you'd put on a baloney sandwich.  ;D
Stan

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2008, 10:25:56 PM »
Mix in some sand and you could sell it specificaly for use with Balloney....

OK absolutely the last time I make a joke on said subject.
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

listerdiesel

« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2008, 07:35:41 AM »
My mistake Peter....I still think Listard sounds like something you'd put on a baloney sandwich.  ;D
Stan

Chromard was already in use, and Lister had a track record of naming products, like Listroil, that they made or sold under their own brand name.

Peter

MeanListerGreen

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2008, 11:19:37 AM »
FYI...I have seen Indian made original style cylinders with chrome liining.  They were for sale by a guy (Mark I believe) in Great Britain and also on Ebay U.K.  That would be a nice part to keep on hand. We have a bore welder at work, but I imagine a guy would have to remove all the chrome before welding it up to be re-bored.  I wonder what the best wire would be to use?
MLG Gib Key Pullers