Author Topic: Waste moter oil  (Read 52219 times)

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
Re: Waste motor oil
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2006, 11:23:31 PM »
I used to be a factory rep for Motorguard for this application:
http://www.lesker.com/newweb/Traps_and_Filters/OilFiltration/Motorguard.cfm?CFID=770798&CFTOKEN=61408253&section=motorguard&init=skip
Don't feint when you see the price. I sold 13 of these in 1 sales call one time.

Some suggestions, I've never done this app before but I did stay at a Holiday Inn once. First filter your oil through the finest screen available. Then maybe a 5 micron string wound water filter would be nice and then hit the Motorguard filter. You should place a pressure gage before the Motor guard filter and monitor the pressure. If you see a sudden drop you've likely blown a hole between the layers of TP and need to replace the filter. The cellulose in the TP will absorb moisture until it turns to mush. Make sure to use real Motorguard filters as they are tightly wound and have a plastic core.
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

robc

• View Profile
Re: Waste moter oil
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2006, 12:34:27 PM »
Tom,

Egads! Pass the smelling salts! LOL  Must have been a nice commission on that deal!

It does make me feel better about the 200 bucks I spent on the Frantz setup though!

You make a couple of good points re pre filtering and that pressure guage.  What kind
of guage?  I assume a regular water pump pressure guage might not like the oil?

Rob
PS 10/1 Listeroid
78 Dodge 150 Diesel
Cogito, ergo Listeroid

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2006, 05:12:14 PM »
Yes the commission was around 40%. As a testimony as to how good these units are. The customer, Libby Owens Ford, bought one unit and ran it for a month filtering vacuum pump oil and then sent a sample of fresh oil and the used pump oil in for analysis. They found that the used pump oil was cleaner than the "fresh" oil out of the drum. I'm not that good of a salesman, the filters sold themselves.

For a gage just use a cheap-ie rated to about 30 PSI. If you see any pressure drop or peg the gage change the filter.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2006, 05:15:34 PM by Tom »
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

cranelift

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2006, 06:52:49 PM »
Hey there JSG. In reply to your querie about anyone running 100% WMO, Willem at oldstylelisters.com has two 6/1's running on straight waste motor oil for for two years and only needs extra maint. to clean injector tips. See his article, black gold.
Powerline 12/2  8KW st head

ronsmith

• View Profile
    • Bentleybranch studio
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2006, 08:19:30 PM »
I ran waste motor oil in my 3.5 petter for a while. I filtered it through a toliet paper filter first. I now use used hydraulic oil I get for free. It burns much cleaner since it dont have carbon deposits in it. When I changed my filter element after running the motor oil through it there were bad sludge deposits in the filter. The hyd. oil leaves no sludge.

SHIPCHIEF

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2006, 09:26:39 AM »
Ronsmith;
Tell us about your toilet paper filter. Frantz? Motorguard? Easy to use? Cleans fuel O.K.? or not?
Have you used one on the lube oil? Does it keep the engine clean? Etc?
Inquiring minds need to know.... ;)
Scott E
Ashwamegh 25/2 & ST12
Lister SR2 10Kw 'Long Edurance' genset on a 10 gallon sump/skid,
Onan 6.5NH in an old Jeager Compressor trailer and a few CCK's

GerryH

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2006, 05:12:17 PM »
Hey cranelift,
Don't forget he also uses his Lister as a chick magnet. You know how it turns them on, they probably really love his waste oil ;D ;D

ronsmith

• View Profile
    • Bentleybranch studio
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2006, 03:50:42 AM »
I made a toliet paper filter out of 6" plactic sewer pipe. I decored three rolls of tp slid them down over a 1" plastic pipe that I had drilled random holes in and capped. Then i set this assemble down inside the 6" and capped the bottom. Then I cut a 1" hole in my top 6" cap and slid it down over the 1" pipe. I drilled a small hole near bottom of the 6" pipe and installed a decored tire valve w/cap and thats my filtered oil drain.  :-\

ronsmith

• View Profile
    • Bentleybranch studio
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2006, 01:25:17 AM »
I want to rig up a smoke filtration unit on mt minipetter exhaust. I think i can use a small barrel with water and dish liquid inside to catch the carbon. does anyone have any experience with this? :'(

dkwflight

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2006, 06:24:03 AM »
Hi group I use a Motorgard filter on my 85 Mercedes. Works fine.
To clean motor oil for fuel usage,  I am cosidering useing a Gulf Coat filter, they use paper towel rolls. A small capacity pump from graingers to recirculate the oil repeatedly untill the pressure drop across the filter stays low.
I bought a skinner II centrifugal filter for the car but I deceided not to install it on the car because while they get the oil very clean they don't remove any water from the oil. The Skinner filter is original equipment on many diesels like Mack trucks.

In the 70s I was in the army stationed in Korea. We were suposed to make a convoy run to rotate the missles into the depot for maintanence. They had to go, no delays! We got the convoy loaded and fueled except for two trucks. Both were empty of fuel. We filled one with Mo-gas and the other with 30 weight motor oil. They were Mulifuel engines-Right! :D They both made the trip of 250 miles. They one with gas needed the injecters and pump rebuilt after retiurning to home. 
I drove the oil fueled one It was ok under load there was the normal low smoke, but when the truck had to idle(I did'nt dare shut it off for long) the exhaust went white. Quite a lot of white-light grey smoke. When we got reloaded and returned to our home post it only took a mile or so to get back to normal exaust.

So the point is the listers, after starting on diesel and a warmup should be OK! Heated fuel lines would be a good idea,before the filters.
Dennis
28/2 powersolutions JKSon -20k gen head
Still in devlopment for 24/7 operation, 77 hours running time

sid

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2006, 12:55:14 PM »
if that was the ole duce and a half truck, we use to fill it almost full of gas then dump a buck of motor oil in the tank// it always ran pretty good // no problems with the oil mixed with it//sid
15 hp fairbanks morris1932/1923 meadows mill
8 hp stover 1923
8 hp lg lister
1932 c.s bell hammer mill
4 hp witte 1917
5 hp des jardin 1926
3 hp mini petters
2hp hercules 1924
1 1/2 briggs.etc

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2006, 01:13:08 AM »
I'm building a gravity filter using a paper towel roll now.  I'll post pictures soon.

In the mean time-- anybody anywhere near a cheese plant, fertilizer plant or other chemical places, check out the square poly tanks inside a tubular aluminum frame and sitting on it's own plastic pallet.  Mine holds 268 gallons each with a two inch  and a six inch top cap and a two inch ball valve below.
  They have a $40 deposit on them but the cheese plants near Twin Falls would rather sell them for $10 than pay to ship them back.

My mini-Petter pump fills two tanks in series that drip irrigate trees and shrubs.  One will have WMO in it soon with a tall filter plugged right in the top..
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

pigseye

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2006, 04:11:21 PM »
Hi HT,
Looking forward to seeing pics of you filter setup.

Thanks

ronsmith

• View Profile
    • Bentleybranch studio
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2006, 07:46:36 PM »
here are a couple pics of my toliet paper filter:http://listerengine.com/coppermine/index.php

CD in BC

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2007, 05:07:50 PM »
Ronsmith;
Tell us about your toilet paper filter. Frantz? Motorguard? Easy to use? Cleans fuel O.K.? or not?
Have you used one on the lube oil? Does it keep the engine clean? Etc?
Inquiring minds need to know.... ;)
Scott E

Read all about it: http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum;f=36