Puppeteer

Author Topic: Chasing a leak and DON'T DO THIS!  (Read 9804 times)

rleonard

• Mattoon, Illinois
    • View Profile
Re: Chasing a leak and DON'T DO THIS!
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2008, 11:30:11 AM »
Bob,
That was exactly the process performed on the head that I installed.  My Amish dealer had one on the shelf that had been repaired precisly as you described.  The repair was indistinguishable and fresh stellite seats were installed.  The shop that did this was  Accurate Automotive Mfg Co., 1804 S 8th St, Mount Vernon, IL 62864

Bob
Faster - Better - Cheaper  You can have any two, but not all three

hotater

• View Profile
Re: Chasing a leak and DON'T DO THIS!
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2008, 07:16:07 AM »
Mobile Bob pretty much got it all.

Cast iron, especially 'dirty' cast iron sometimes doen't take to grinding out Vee notches very well. It smears graphite and aluminum oxide into the weld zone.  BUT that's a small place to be doing any arc gouging.   The solution is simple.  Don't grind it out, cut it out.   Use a carbide burr in a grinder and it'll solve both contamination problems at once and do a better job of cutting a J groove.

Harold's Car Museum in Reno bought Rockmount Research "Jupiter A TIG" wire from me for that particular job.  They pre-heated to 700F, TIG welded and peened with an air operated shot peener, then wrapped the head in a thermal blanket and left it for hours.

Always check for cracks with dye penetrant, or one of the home brew substitutes, after re-surfacing.  "Magnetic Particle" and "MagnaFlux" operations usually don't work on welded cast iron.  Nickel is not magnetic.

A cheap and easy crack check can be done (OUTdoors) by painting the part with white gas or lighter fluid, wiping the surface off quickly and spraying the part with foot powder. The pressurized can stuff.  Cracks will show up in the white powder as dark lines.
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.