Author Topic: Solenoids  (Read 10789 times)

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
Solenoids
« on: January 19, 2008, 09:59:45 PM »
The parts fairy dropped a Woodward RSV type shut down solenoid for Bosch inj3ection pump in my lap ( this is for an inline 6 pump from a Duetz )

Question:

Pull and hold wires are self explanitory but hold long can this thing hold is it intended for continues hold?.

I was thinking this might be a very effective way to yank a Roid injection pump rack closed. I'm also thinking it might be of some use as a decompression lever actuator.

It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

draganof

• Keeper of a Mighty Changfa
    • View Profile
Re: Solenoids
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2008, 10:34:40 PM »
If it is the same type used on the Cats it has 2 coils, one for pull in and the second for holding at a much reduced amperage. The cat ones are rated for constant duty 24/7 forever.

John
Changfa 195 and ST10
8kw Yanmar/Kohler

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2008, 10:40:04 PM »
Seems like the same thing....

I've seent this done a couple of ways.
One energizes the solenoid to actuate the fuel shut off ( like the RTV 900 ) and the other way this apears to work buy opening the the fuel shut off when you turn the key on.

draganof

• Keeper of a Mighty Changfa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 12:03:23 AM »
On the Cats the Marine engines use the energized to stop type and the Industrial engines are energized to run. 

John
Changfa 195 and ST10
8kw Yanmar/Kohler

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 01:59:06 AM »
the pull in winding is only good for very shot periods of time,, think seconds to be safe
it is intended to give a good strong yank over the relatively long distances involved, where it bottoms and swithes to the
hold in winding,

holding in requires very little magnatism, because the distance has been closed,, longer distances require more current and magnetism to
get the job done,, especially when the voltage is low when cranking.

don't rely on the pull in winding to do anything other than activate the solenoid, adjust it to go to hold in immediately if possible
once it gets to the fully retracted position it will disconnect the pull in winding anyway, if adjusted properly

the pull in winding is activated on a relay that is controlled by the starter solenoid, so it will retract when cranking and is held in then by
the run winding because the ignition is on.

basically the run winding is rated continuous duty,,the pullin winding is very intermittent duty

most solenoids are damaged and ruined by not being adjusted properly and not allowing them to fully retract

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2008, 02:26:01 AM »
Thanks again Bob just wanted to be sure I understood how this little fellow was intended to be used.

The stroke length needed for the Petteroid rack is very short. I think if I remove the plunger spring and connect the shaft directly to the governer arm there more than enough force to pull the rack closed. Or if I remove the heavy speeder spring and use an external govener spring off the solendoid, there is more than enough tension to pull and hold for run and the solenoids own internal spring will close the rack.

buickanddeere

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2008, 07:16:38 PM »
  Officially safety equipment is designed "fail safe". That is; the brakes go on, the emergency cooling water valves open, exit doors unlock, fire doors close, diesel intake air dampers spring close shut/closing is assisted with airflowm, fuel rack is pulled by a spring closed after the solenoid looses power etc.   

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2008, 07:33:25 PM »
Nothing I haven't thought about....

Intake has been sitting infront of the computer now for day whilst I contemplate the need/bennifit of a spring loaded safety shutter.
A CO2 fire extiguisher would also snuff things out if I plumbed it into the intake....

horsefly76

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2008, 08:53:20 AM »
The parts fairy dropped a Woodward RSV type shut down solenoid for Bosch inj3ection pump in my lap ( this is for an inline 6 pump from a Duetz )

Question:

Pull and hold wires are self explanitory but hold long can this thing hold is it intended for continues hold?.

I was thinking this might be a very effective way to yank a Roid injection pump rack closed. I'm also thinking it might be of some use as a decompression lever actuator.

Doug

Some of the generators I work on use that type of actuator (Airman). Just had factory training and the rep told us 18 amp draw when in transition and 0.5 amp bottomed out.

If not adjusted right they will continue to draw the 18 amp's and burn up.

Hope this helps you.

Aaron.
2007 Metro 6/1 Running on Biodiesel (Thank's Sam!)
4 Hp Air Cooled Yanmar Clone
6.5 Hp Kubota EB-300 D
2007 kawasaki KLX 250 Dual Sport
2003 Jetta TDI 5 Spd.
1971 Lister SR1
2 Lister Petter LPA3

rbodell

• View Profile
    • Life after retirement
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2008, 06:04:03 AM »

Question:

If you are talking about shutdown, isn't it bad Ju-Ju to close the decompression lever at speed?
The shear depth of my shallowness is perplexing yet morbidly interesting. Bob 2007

Stan

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2008, 03:01:28 PM »
Absolutely correct Bob......quote from 1949 manual...

"To Stop Engine

(a)  Lift governor Hand Lever.
(b)  When engine is about to stop, engage Valve Lifter (see Fig. 4).  Never stop Engine by shutting off fuel supply or by lifting the exhaust valve."

Stan

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2008, 12:46:51 AM »

Question:

Yes bad for the valve/risky....

But I was thinking decompressor for starting

If you are talking about shutdown, isn't it bad Ju-Ju to close the decompression lever at speed?