Puppeteer

Author Topic: Proper oil changing in the single cylinder Lister  (Read 21223 times)

listerdiesel

Re: Proper oil changing in the single cylinder Lister
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2008, 11:20:42 AM »
I took some pictures of what I have and the orientation and placement of the parts.
First is the dipper.  It is solid and thinned down like a knife
Bob

Note that the thread is 'locked' in place by 4 centre-punch marks around the bottom of the big-end casting. I'd be inclined to use a Loctite product these days, rather than keep on punching away at the casting.

If you had the facilities, the face of the cap where the thread is could be spotted with an end mill and a lock nut fitted, but with the raw unfinished surface as photographed I wouldn't like to rely on a locknut.

I believe that originally the dippers were screwed right home until the thread jammed tight.

Peter

rleonard

• Mattoon, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2008, 11:53:42 AM »
Good suggestion Peter. Thanks.

Here is what things look like as of today (1/14/08).

Bob

[/img]

Faster - Better - Cheaper  You can have any two, but not all three

listerdiesel

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2008, 11:58:51 AM »
Good suggestion Peter. Thanks.
Here is what things look like as of today (1/14/08).
Bob

Have to say it, the Listers certainly have the air of 'Class' about them that is lacking on the clones!

Peter

Stan

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2008, 12:29:20 AM »
That looks like a gasket under the oil filler flap.  Is that stock?  Mine doesn't have one there.  Wouldn't be hard to cut one out of cork.
Stan

listerdiesel

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2008, 08:41:10 AM »
That looks like a gasket under the oil filler flap.  Is that stock?  Mine doesn't have one there.  Wouldn't be hard to cut one out of cork.
Stan

Lister didn't fit a gasket under that filler flap, Stan, but there were a lot of changes to the breather arrangement over the first engines to counteract oil blowing out.

With the correct oil level, baffle plate fitted inside the crankcase and the later breather arrangement, you shouldn't need a gasket.

Peter

Stan

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2008, 04:00:51 PM »
Tnx Peter, one less thing to do.
Stan

lendusaquid

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2008, 09:02:57 PM »
Peter
Would you have a parts diagram for the early breather as used on the Lister L. Although i am putting my old girl back to work i would still like to keep it as original as possible.

Graham

Stan

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2008, 09:12:21 PM »
Bob, on your pic, the lower water port (cold inlet) seems to be blocked.  Is it just the pic?
Stan

edit:....on second thought it just looks like a combination of the bulge from the head stud tube and the angle of the pic.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 04:08:30 AM by Stan »

listerdiesel

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2008, 08:25:01 AM »
Peter
Would you have a parts diagram for the early breather as used on the Lister L. Although i am putting my old girl back to work i would still like to keep it as original as possible.

Graham

There are a few incarnations of the breather on the CS.

The latest one is fixed to a machined seat on the inspection cover.

Earlier ones were modified to fit onto the cover on the flattest part.

Even earlier ones were part of the oil filler.

Which one do you want details for? Bear in mind that parts pictures may not be available for the earliest version, but I have a book for the L engine which may show something.

Peter

rleonard

• Mattoon, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2008, 02:15:14 PM »
Thanks for all your comments.  Here are a couple of expainations;

The gasket under the oil filler is one that I had out of an Indian gasket set.  I figured that I'd put it on.  It is not origional so it will probably come off soon.

The water inlet at the bottom of the cylinder is partly blocked by the internal casting boss where the cylinder stud passes through the corner of the cylinder.  This is how the cylinder is cast.  There is no flash or other restriction.

I rerouted my fuel tank lines and made new pipes.  Last night I fired it up.  It took a few cranks but soon there was a belch and fart and fire in the hole!

I could only let it run very slow because the engine was unmounted.  All sounded OK so Saturday it will go back on it's frame.

Bob

lendusaquid

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2008, 10:28:18 PM »
Bob

I found a lot of Indian gaskets just would not fit on my engine.It no big deal thou, its easy enough to make my own.

Peter

If you take a look at my vid on youtube  you get a close up view of the breather. I haven't a clue whether i have set it up correctly or not, or what parts are misssing.

Graham

lendusaquid

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2008, 10:31:51 PM »
Bob

I noticed you managed to get a thermostat in the hole. Ive done the same with just a little grinding involved.

Graham

rleonard

• Mattoon, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2008, 10:56:59 PM »
It is a thermostat from a Geo Metro.  It was suggested here.  Sandwiched between 2 home made gaskets, it works just fine.  I do have to remember to poke a small vent hole in it to let the air out upon filling.

I'll shoot a new picture of my piping and post.  We're in the beginning of a cold snap for this weekend.  Might slow things down some here.

Bob