Author Topic: Running a CS 3.5 @ half speed  (Read 4330 times)

greasemonkey

• View Profile
Running a CS 3.5 @ half speed
« on: January 12, 2008, 04:39:44 AM »
Hi all, I would like to run my CS 3.5 at around 400 RPM - are there any issues at running this machine at this low speed, I will have to change the oil to CW30 I believe - Regards to you all.

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
Re: Running a CS 3.5 @ half speed
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2008, 06:29:03 AM »
Hi all, I would like to run my CS 3.5 at around 400 RPM - are there any issues at running this machine at this low speed, I will have to change the oil to CW30 I believe - Regards to you all.

If you get a deal on CCW30 oil I`d not hesitate to use that as well.  Oil doesn`t care which direction the engine spins.

Seriously, what oil do you use now at the regular speed?  What IS the regular speed?

My main concern with lower speeds is less power means less heat. You don`t want your engine to run too cold or it won`t last as long and will foul up faster.
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dualĀ  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

greasemonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2008, 06:42:33 AM »
I don't now the oil thats in the machine it can with it. Ive had the machine for about 6 month and I don't run anything from it. I received an email form a friend last week and he said I really must run something of the machine so to preserve the old girl they last longer when working harder, when I run the engine it runs at normal speed (I guess that 600RPM)...

rbodell

• View Profile
    • Life after retirement
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2008, 08:46:30 AM »

You don`t want your engine to run too cold or it won`t last as long and will foul up faster.

Never shutting down those engines that run for twenty years and never letting them run cold would probably help with the long life. The same for an engine running with drum cooling, without a thermostat it would take all day to get the engine up to running temperature.
The shear depth of my shallowness is perplexing yet morbidly interesting. Bob 2007

lendusaquid

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 07:36:59 PM »
You need to see what Ken Boak has been up to. He was experimenting at running half speed.

He posts on this group

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Lister_CSOG

contaucreek

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2008, 11:10:54 PM »
A 3.5 is a 650 rpm engine.
L.E.F. Dip #1 Threadstopper Extraordinaire