Author Topic: 6-1 internal oil pipe removal  (Read 5459 times)

rleonard

• Mattoon, Illinois
    • View Profile
6-1 internal oil pipe removal
« on: January 07, 2008, 04:28:34 PM »
I am in the course of a light overhaul on an origional Lister 6/1.  Since I had one flywheel off and the gib key loose on the other, I wanted to replace the felt crankshaft seals.  If you do one at a time you do not have to fight with the crankshaft or gears.

You do have to get the oil lines out of the way for the bearing housing to slide off the crankshaft.  To do this you have to remove the pipes from inside the engine.  My book did not show this clearly and my search here was inconclusive so after a visit by my Amish expert he showed me the trick.

Here are the parts:

The connecting pipe will slide out.  Remove the outside fitting, slide the connecting pipe out thru the inlet, then the two feed pipes to the bearing oil cups can be easilly removed.

My feed pipe was stuck.  Before I forced anything, I asked and discovered the trick.  I hope that this helps someone else.

Bob

« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 04:39:00 PM by rleonard »
Faster - Better - Cheaper  You can have any two, but not all three

Stan

Re: 6-1 internal oil pipe removal
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 07:50:27 PM »
Very interesting Bob.Thanks for the pic.   ..That part of Penelope (orgininal 6/1) is very black and goopy, and I haven't cleaned it up yet. I'll take a look and see what's in there now that I have her inside and can shine a light on it properly.
Stan

listerdiesel

Re: 6-1 internal oil pipe removal
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 04:51:27 PM »
The twins are a tad more complicated, there is a manifold bolted inside the crankcase above the inspection door, and five pipes bolted to the manifold if I remember correctly, 2 for the side mains, one for the centre main and two for the big end troughs.

It's a bit of a jiggle to get a spanner up there, but when I put mine back together I'll take some pictures.

Peter