Alternative fuels > Waste Motor Oil

WMO load test

(1/8) > >>

draganof:
I just did a 4 hour load test of my 195 with an ST10  on 15-40 WMO today. Nothing fancy, started on diesel and when the engine temp got to 185 degrees  I changed over to WMO. No pre-heat. Oil temp was at 70 degrees. No smoke at all until I reached 9kw then it was a light gray up to 10kw where it started to turn black. The engine seemed to like it. Less noise. Engine temp at 10kw was 210 degrees. I switched back to diesel for 30 minutes prior to shutdown. I think the WMO makes more horsepower than diesel. On diesel the HZ is 62.5 unloaded and 56.0 full load. On WMO the HZ is 62.5 unloaded and 59.3 full load. Not very scientific but educational for me.

John

draganof:
It goes through an FG1000 Racor and then to a Cat 2 micron fuel filter. All of the WMO I get is from controlled sources and I have the lab test results so I know exactly what is in the oil. Some oil I get is so clean it looks almost new. I would like to get a large storage tank and keep it heated so the moisture content would remain low.

John

draganof:
There are thousands of emergency standby generators in Washington State. Some of these sites must pay to have their WMO disposed of. I have sources that donate their oil to me. I don't even charge them for it!

The answer to would I use oil that is of unknown quality? Only during WTSHTF times. But then any oil will be like gold.

I will say this. If I found a source of WVO I would not use WMO. And I would not make BioDiesel out of it. I would filter it and use it as is.

John

rbodell:

--- Quote from: draganof on January 07, 2008, 01:59:21 AM ---I just did a 4 hour load test of my 195 with an ST10  on 15-40 WMO today. Nothing fancy, started on diesel and when the engine temp got to 185 degrees  I changed over to WMO. No pre-heat. Oil temp was at 70 degrees. No smoke at all until I reached 9kw then it was a light gray up to 10kw where it started to turn black. The engine seemed to like it. Less noise. Engine temp at 10kw was 210 degrees. I switched back to diesel for 30 minutes prior to shutdown. I think the WMO makes more horsepower than diesel. On diesel the HZ is 62.5 unloaded and 56.0 full load. On WMO the HZ is 62.5 unloaded and 59.3 full load. Not very scientific but educational for me.

John

--- End quote ---

I have used wmo in my engine up to 50%. At almost 500 hours I had the head off and found little coking, no corosion and no cylinder damage.

I run my wmo through a dieselcraft centrifuge filter. I do run it a lot longer than necessary, about three hours for around 7 gallons. I process about 7 gallons at a time. I am still running my original Goldenrod 10 micron fuel filter on the engine. I check the PH by taking a little oil and adding some distilled water and shaking it up and let it settle, I then check it with litmus paper. I bring down the PH by adding some Sodium Hydroxide and water and letting it recirculate. Before I found a source of Sodium Hydroxide, I used draino.

I have had no problems so far.

mike90045:

--- Quote --- Before I found a source of Sodium Hydroxide, I used draino.
--- End quote ---

That's lye in my book !  USA grocery stores carry granular Red Devil Lye, in the same locations as liquid Draino, at half the price.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version