Puppeteer

Author Topic: How'd You Get Here!  (Read 18816 times)

dmp

How'd You Get Here!
« on: January 05, 2008, 01:40:06 AM »
When the price of oil rose, I became interested in cutting my heating cost.  There was a co-gen system called
Intellegen I remembered.  The salesman/owner/inventor wanted me to take this product on, as I was in the
heating business. 

Well, at that time I was getting out of business. Too much E.P.A.

I remembered the engine, somewhat, Lister or Petter.

That's how I got here.

One admonsion,  Keep this thread to the point.

Let's not stray.

David

clytle374

• View Profile
Re: How'd You Get Here!
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 03:48:39 AM »
Lots of power outages provided a excuse.

Cory

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 04:13:41 AM »
Not sure how we got here.....
Less sure of where we are going.....

I have a short span of attension so I stray a lot and I ramble on tell stroies that don't go any place.

Petteroid 10/1 with a an ST 5 for standby its cold up here sometimes.
I also like to tinker and these engines are nice forgiving things for the novice mechanic to tinker with.
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

listerdiesel

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 08:36:47 AM »
Mainly to give help and information related to Listers in particular and diesels in general.

I act as one of the moderators on Smokstak and help with the admin/website of Oldengine.org as well.

Peter

rbodell

• View Profile
    • Life after retirement
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 12:57:45 PM »
When the price of oil rose, I became interested in cutting my heating cost.  There was a co-gen system called
Intellegen I remembered.  The salesman/owner/inventor wanted me to take this product on, as I was in the
heating business. 

Well, at that time I was getting out of business. Too much E.P.A.

I remembered the engine, somewhat, Lister or Petter.

That's how I got here.

One admonsion,  Keep this thread to the point.

Let's not stray.

David

When I got P. O.'d at the power company I decided to make my own power. I originally wanted an original Lister because when I was a kid and used to go visit my uncle, he had this lister that ran 24/7 365 except when he shut it down to check or change the oil. That thing outlasted every lawnmower, outboard motor, car and motorcycle in the family year after year. It even outlasted most of the family and even my uncle.

Since the original listers aren't made any more and few used ones are available in the U.S.A., I decided to go with a Listeroid. Since they are built almost exactly like the originals I figure they have a pretty good chance of lasting just as long. During my search for information on the Listeroids, I found the group and joined.
The shear depth of my shallowness is perplexing yet morbidly interesting. Bob 2007

Stan

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2008, 03:19:58 PM »
Been interested in "old engines" since my days as a kid on the farm.  Migrated here from smokstak, still visit them often especially now since they have a diesel section.
Stan

zacksstacks

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2008, 05:24:12 PM »

Well, I've always liked fixing things and enjoy building/assembling projects. Seems a listeroid was built for people like me. I particularly like how long the design has been around and that there is an established base of owners who will ensure the parts always are made somewhere. Besides, how often do you get to justify pouring a 1.5 ton engine mount block for a 10hp hobby engine ?  ;)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 05:27:01 PM by zacksstacks »

rmchambers

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2008, 05:25:06 PM »
Born and grew up in England, rural Buckinghamshire.  Lots of farms, and quite a few Listers I can remember at various places in various barns.  Wish I had one now!  Been interested in mechanical things since I was a baby, the first thing I took apart was my crib and I was still in it!

Looking to get a small diesel generator set for use at the house for the infrequent power outages.. means I don't really have a justification for one but I *want* one and that should be enough!  Found the site when I googled for diesel engines I think, it's been a long time and very decent people hang out here.

Robert

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2008, 06:09:42 PM »
I`ve been a gearhead at some level most of my life and recently wanted to set my estate up with power independence.  My first genset since I got serious abiout this just a few years ago was a scratch DIY set using a VW diesel.  I knew of the old Listers though and wanted one of these slow speed engines also. I lucked across a real Petter not far from me and in the process of restoring it and in searching for related and Lister info I discovered this place.  I joined and enjoy the community involvement this place gives me and most of the people here.
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dual  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

dmp

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2008, 11:11:57 PM »
I like all the response.

I think it good knowing where a man comes from.

Thank You,
David

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2008, 11:32:49 PM »
I like following where people in the know are going.

There is a common thread here, we all see something is just slightly a miss in the world today so we a retreating into the golden age of prime movers and home power. Not everyone here has as there primary motive the ability to be self sufficient but a hobby that plays into that isn't a negative is it?

Let me ask another question:
Now that we have established how some of us got here where are we going?

And " are we there yet, are we there yet, are we there yet, are we there yet, are we there yet "........

Sorry Dave but I need to inject a little humour and ramble now and then.

biobill

• 'riods make good houseguests if fed right
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2008, 12:43:05 AM »
  Back when I was designing my off grid house I was talking to an engineer, who specialized in low energy requirement houses, and he told me about a design he had where a slow speed diesel could provide heat, hot water, and electricity to a properly designed house for about a gallon/day. He was speaking about a Witte engine and I could never find anything about them. Never left my mind though.

A couple years ago I started the biodiesel thing and it just seemed inappropriate to use a gas engine to power my processor. I was searching ebay for a suitable diesel and saw a picture of a 6/1 'roid.   Bingo!  Fifteen years later but there it is.  My search for more info led me here.
Off grid since 1990
6/1 Metro DI living in basement, cogen
6/1 Metro IDI running barn & biodiesel processer
VW 1.6 diesels all over the place
Isuzu Boxtruck, Ford Backhoe, all running on biodiesel
Needs diesel lawnmower & chainsaw

JohnF13

• View Profile
    • woodnstuff
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2008, 12:46:11 AM »
Ice Storm 10 years ago tonight.  23 days without power in January in Ontario.  Piss-poor response from the Hydro company (no, you're wrong, you must have power).  Fired them.
John F
2 x 6/1 JKSON.  1 x 10/1 JKSON, 1 x 27hp Changfa, 1 x 28hp AG295, 1 genuine 1939 SOM, a couple of others in test mode and a Hercules Multu-fuel still in the box.

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2008, 01:05:08 AM »
John the hair is standing up on the back of my neck....

Its like your in my head I was just mussing to myself about the same things since its mild and rain is in the forecast. That Ice storm changed a lot of things for me too especialy how I heat my home, food kept on hand and things like batteries and extra fuel

okiezeke

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2008, 01:22:03 AM »
Fell in love with 80 acre mountain top in eastern Oklahoma.  Has the original million dollar view.  Also had no power, phone, or any other services within a mile or two.  Bought it anyway.  Then I started looking at diesel generators.  Found some listeroids for sale on the net.  More searching led to this forum, a genuine goldmine of information.  Still not sure whether the listeroid or the changfa will do a better job, but will have both running side by side on my mountaintop soon.
Zeke
Changfa type 25hp with 15kw ST head
Lovson 20-2 in blueprinting/rebuild
International TD-15 B  1962 dozer
Changfa 8 hp., 280 A battery charger