Puppeteer

Author Topic: Found an origional 6/1  (Read 3027 times)

rleonard

• Mattoon, Illinois
    • View Profile
Found an origional 6/1
« on: January 02, 2008, 05:09:36 PM »
With my 3.5 on the way to the new owner, I brought home the replacement, a real Lister 6/1.  It had the origional Lister cooling fan and radiator which he seller wanted to keep.  Those parts removed, I loaded it up and brought it home. 

Removing the pulley from the crank required pulling the flywheel off.  His puller made it a non event.  Starting the engine briefly freed the flywheel from the shaft.  Before I do a final assembly, I'll pull the bearing holders, replace the felt seals and inspect the mains. 

I am having trouble with the copper oil lines getting them out of the way to allow the bearings to come off. 

The engine is a 1968 and it appears that I am the first one into it.  ll looks dirty but in good shape.  I'll pull the head to decarbon, touch up the valves, and look at the bore.

I post some pictures as I am able.

Bob
Faster - Better - Cheaper  You can have any two, but not all three

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
Re: Found an origional 6/1
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 06:17:32 PM »
I just gotta ask:

Why would someone want to split an original engine system up by keeping the fan and radiator?  Shouldn't there be a bit of respect for it's antiquity?  Don't get me wrong, I spend a lot of time in Hawaii and the word "sacred" causes a strong gaging reaction but isn't a small stationary engine that's made it through forty years just a little special?

Low Gear
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

Stan

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 08:17:55 PM »
That's exactly my opinion...the reason I'm trying to restore 'Penelope" to factory original specs.  Others opinion may vary.  I have the same feelings when I see a lovely old lady VW chopped and channelled or similarily mutilated.
Stan

rleonard

• Mattoon, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 02:10:30 AM »
That was the choice of the owner of the engine.  As far as I know, he is going to install the hardware on another Lister CS engine.  He has several.

Bob
Faster - Better - Cheaper  You can have any two, but not all three

contaucreek

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 11:15:25 PM »
For all intents and purposes the fan assy on my 6/1 is the ugliest looking system Lister ever installed on an engine.I still wake up screaming and i have had the engine for 4 months. Tank and cart, now theres a sexy setup, of course just my opinion and sorry Stan LOL. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess.
L.E.F. Dip #1 Threadstopper Extraordinaire